This book is a fly-on-the-wall exploration and an immersion into the John Wayne mythology: his politics, his inspirations, the plots to assassinate him, his connections to Stalin, Khrushchev, and Chairman Mao, and the death of the Western.
Did you know that . . .
* Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin ordered not one, but two assassination attempts, on the life of rabid anti-Communist movie star John “Duke” Wayne, because the Duke was exposing Communist infiltration of Hollywood?
* Wayne and the FBI captured Russian hit men and turned them into assets of U.S. intelligence?
* Homegrown Hollywood Communists attempted to carry out Stalin's orders in Burbank, California only to be captured by John Wayne and the FBI, then sent to Russia?
* Communist mass murderer Mao Tse-tung sent a Chinese assassin to Vietnam, where he barely missed John Wayne at a Marine base camp, only to be captured and questioned by the Duke himself?
* John Wayne practically slugged Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev in 1958 - a scene that may well have been the model for George C. Scott's confrontation with the Russian general in “Patton”?
Sorry we couldn't complete your registration. Please try again.
Please enter your email to finish creating your account.
Receive a personalized list of podcasts based on your preferences.