Susun Weed answers 90 minutes of herbal health questions followed by a 30 minute interview with
Ryan Drum, PhD has a BSc in Chemical Technology and a PhD in Botany (Phycology) from Iowa State University. He studied Herbal Medicine with Ella Birzneck, founder of Dominion Herbal College in British Columbia for 12 years, and taught at their summer seminars for 35 years. He has been an adjunct faculty at Bastyr University since 1984, and he lectures at major herbal conferences and herbal schools.
Dr. Drum is the author of over 30 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals, the author of Electron Microscopy of Diatom Cells 1966, Springer Verlag, a 100-Plate Atlas, in print for 20 years, and a contributing author of two chapters in Planting the Future (Gladstar and Hirsch 2001) and a chapter in Fundamentals of Naturopathic Endocrinology, M. Friedman 2005.
this episode Q&A includes:
• mints! shiso reseeds itself beautifully, stevia is a mint and prunella vulgaris too..
• tannins tan..
• catnip tincture makes a wonderful bug repellant..
• comfrey strengthens skin, bones, ligament, mucous membranes of respiratory and digestive systems..
• soy milk used as a medicine not a food prevents damage from radiation..
• mentored students- check out herbs for cancer treatment- information can also be found on Time Monk Radio airing this month..
• ssri's- placebos with bad side effects? hypericum out performs out performs them all when taken in tincture form from fresh flowering plant..
• very elevated blood pressure- passionflower, diuretics, lack of sleep..
• restoring eyesight and preventing eyesight loss with hawthorn, amla, carotenes..
• burdock tincture should have a white film containing inulin :)