History of Ashmore Estates:
the Coles County Poor Farm was located in Charleston Township near the small town of Loxa, Illinois. In 1870, the county purchased 260 acres from A. N. Graham in Section 35 of Ashmore Township for a new farm, which sat astride the Indianapolis & St. Louis Railroad. This small timber and brick building, constructed by H. B. Truman, was the first to sit on that property. It was 38x58 feet and two stories tall, with an attached kitchen. Many residents, or "inmates" as they were called, died at the farm, and the county maintained a small cemetery somewhere north of the grounds. In January 2013, Ashmore Estates was hit by a fierce storm, with wind speeds reaching 80 to 100 mph. Ashmore Estates suffered heavy damage; its roof was blown off and the support gables were destroyed. Shortly thereafter, new owners took over the property and made plans to restore the building to its former glory. On May 3rd of 2014, Ashmore Estates came under new ownership and is now owned by Robbin & Norma Terry. During their first few weeks of ownership there were huge strides made to cleanup and restore Ashmore Estates. After less than two years of owning the property some HUGE improvements have been made. The building has gone from people saying they would never go back to booking each year and in some cases coming back more than once in the same year. There is so much more to the story, but we don’t have enough characters in the window to type it all out. Find out more when Robbin Terry joins us on our first episode of “Paranormal Preservation” ! Learn why it is so important to preserve history and how haunted tourism can help provide an additional revenue stream to support the building.
~Sharla & Beth