On August 29, 1774, the Curia of the Archbishop expressed itself favorably regarding the miraculous finding and unexplainable preservation of the Hosts stolen from the Church of St. Peter’s in Patierno on February 24, 1772.
In 1971 the Eucharistic Year of the diocese had been established in order to allow the community to capture the essence of the Eucharistic miracle. Unfortunately in 1978 some unknown thieves were able to steal the relic with the miraculous Hosts of 1772.
In 1772, unknown thieves stole a certain number of consecrated Hosts that were found a month later in the lands of Duke Delle Grottolelle underneath manure. However the Sacred Hosts were completely intact.
The appearance of mysterious lights and a dove made it possible to see where the Hosts were buried. Saint Alphonsus Liguori described this miracle in detail and took the opportunity to reawake the faith and devotion of the people towards the Eucharist.
The Vicar General, Monsignor Onorati drew up the minutes of the diocesan trial which lasted two years from 1772 to 1774. In the minutes it was stated that the appearance of the lights and the intact preservation of the consecrated Hosts “has been and is an authentic miracle operated by God to illustrate more and more the truth of the Catholic dogma and increase the worship towards the Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist.”
Among the various testimonies there were also those of three renowned scientists of the time among which was Dr. Domenico Cotugno of the Royal University of Naples and they all agreed in saying that “The intact preservation of the Hosts cannot be explained with physical principles and they surpass the power of natural agents. Therefore, they must be considered as miraculous.”