SORT BY Relevancy
As the country reels from the outcome of the Jordan Davis case and national conversations abound on the need to repeal Stand Your Ground laws, the Florida Legislature is steadily working to expand the law. We are left stunned and bewildered as we see ill-conceived bills on the threatened use of force hurtle towards passage with bipartisan support. Over the past two weeks, both houses of the Legislature have voted overwhelmingly to expand Stand Your Ground by approving CS/CS/HB 89 and SB 448, the so-called “Warning Shot Bills.” http://rattlernews.tallahassee.com/article/20140312/OPINION05/303120003/My-View-Don-t-make-bad-Stand-Your-Ground-law-worsehttp://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/criminal-justice/is-there-racial-bias-in-stand-your-ground-laws/ The talk where facts matters
The Interpreters team will look at recent happenings with Florida's stand your ground laws. Within this report the team will provide the basic knowledge about the law. During the blog talk report political pundits will be tuning in to weigh in on the discussion.
in Self Help
When you marry, you inherit your spouse family. This includes all the dynamics that comes along with inlaws. Some inlaws are hands off but then there are some inlaws that fully involved in their child marriage. How do you handle meddling inlaws, friends, and extended family?
Where/how do you draw the line between being committed to the "team" (your marriage) and being considerate of others involved? Or once you get married is how THEY feel irrelevant?
In Florida alone, 26 children and teens have been killed in Stand Your Ground cases. Most notably, the cases of Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis have caused an uproar across the nation, with their killers using the Stand Your Ground law successfully in defeating murder convictions. While Marissa Alexander, a victim of domestic violence, was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot. Marissa is now facing 60 years in prison after her appeal was granted and she was offered a retrial. Is the Stand Your Ground law racially bias? Does it give people a license to kill? Could your son be next? Let's discuss...
in Self Help
Philosopher Dr. Diana Hsieh answered questions on "stand your ground" laws, advice to new Objectivists, and more in this episode of Philosophy in Action Radio.
Question 1: Are 'stand your ground' self-defense laws proper?
Question 2: What advice would you give to a new Objectivist?
To download or feed a high-quality version of this episode, plus show notes and other details, visit its archive page.
For more from Dr. Diana Hsieh on the application of rational principles to the challenges of real life, visit PhilosophyInAction.com.
This information was leaked to the British newspaper the Guardian. Ed Pilkington, chief correspondent for the Guardian U.S. broke the story on NPR with fresh air host Dave Davies in for Terry Gross.
On tonight's episode of Liberal Dan Radio I will be discussing the verdict in the George Zimmerman case.
Was the ruling right or wrong? How bad did the jury mess things up?
Are the Florida self-defense statutes Constitutional? Do they satisfy the requirement of equal protection as guaranteed by the 14th amendment? Wasn’t it Trayvon Martin who stood his ground?
What would I have done had I been on the prosecution? What arguments would I have made in my closing statement?
Why are Conservatives going so crazy trying to make excuses for the ruling? Are they tripping all over their privilege?
How can I tie Bobby Jindal into all of this?
Is this a case where the justice system both worked as it should while also failing miserably? I will go into that seemingly contradictory statement as well.
Those topics and more, plus Words of Redneck Wisdom, headlines, and tweet of the week tonight on Liberal Dan Radio: Talk From The Left, That's Right!
Listen live at 8pm Central on BlogTalkRadio or listen to the podcast and discuss the show at liberaldan.com.
The Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis cases arguably highlight, for many, perceived inequities in the application of the Stand Your Ground (SYG) defense that is now law in 23 states. Join the Clarkie Connection for an impassioned and fascinating discussion of these and other related cases, the historical and cultural foundations of the SYG laws, and the myriad actions presently being taken by fellow citizens to hold accountable the policymakers responsible for the enactment of these laws, and effect the repeal of their injust provisions.
Ever since the death of Trayvon Martin, and the subsequent not guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman, Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law has come under fire. Many are advocating for its repeal in the state of Florida. The general consensus among advocates of repeal is that the law's application is racially biased; and, that it is essentially a license to kill..As you can imagine, the debate has been drawn along political lines, and has forced many to take sides. The question, however, is whether we are properly informed .
On the eve of a major protest of Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law, we explore the legislation, and how it has been misinterpreted largely by the media. Joining us in this discussion is Andrew F. Branca, an attorney who's specialty is self-defense law. He is also the author of, The Law of Self Defense.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (499 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (40 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (34 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (33 chatters)
- thelordshour (31 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (30 chatters)
- in5d (23 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (23 chatters)
- The Oracle Speaks (23 chatters)
- Tha Boxingvoice Radio Show (22 chatters)
- Namaste Farms (16 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (15 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (12 chatters)
- LetsGetMetaphysical (11 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (11 chatters)
- the klicious show (10 chatters)
- Jamie Roxx (10 chatters)
- AIR Abundance Internet Radio (9 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (8 chatters)
- Shifting Times Radio (8 chatters)
- Star Nations Radio Network (8 chatters)
- WacoTeaPartyWatchdog (8 chatters)
- The One People Oneness Radio (7 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (7 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (7 chatters)
- DiabetesSocMed (7 chatters)
- EnlightenmentEvolution Network (6 chatters)
- ExpandingU RADIO (6 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (6 chatters)
- Rifleman (6 chatters)
- Healing Light Radio (5 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (5 chatters)
- The Crystal Show (5 chatters)
- Xpoze Radio (5 chatters)
- Cage Side Submissions (4 chatters)
- Comic Booked (4 chatters)
- Contending 4 Truth Radio (4 chatters)
- SpeakEasy Cafe (4 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (4 chatters)
- Ohio Exopolitics (3 chatters)
- The Captain0 (3 chatters)
- Art Bulla (3 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (3 chatters)
- WHTP Radio Network (3 chatters)
- Trundlebedtales (3 chatters)
- VERSATILERADIO (2 chatters)
- VOS FREQ9 RADIO (2 chatters)
- The Seika Network (2 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (2 chatters)
- The Liberal Redneck (2 chatters)
- GRANNY GANJA (2 chatters)
- Erotic Talk Radio (2 chatters)
- Higher Truth Radio (2 chatters)
- Iconici Radio MMA (2 chatters)
- dtm radio (2 chatters)
- DungeonCrawlersRadio (2 chatters)
- drkate (2 chatters)
- Ask the Theologian (2 chatters)
- BBQSS Sports Network (2 chatters)
- BLACK MILITIA NATION (2 chatters)
- churchfolk (2 chatters)
- bridge to Humanity (2 chatters)
- Talking Terror Presents (2 chatters)
- Lennis (2 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (2 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (2 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (2 chatters)
- MissingYouFoundation (2 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (2 chatters)
- Innovative Black Men (2 chatters)
- Living a Richer Life (2 chatters)
- LadiesTellAll (1 chatters)
- musician (1 chatters)
- Mystic Light and Shadows (1 chatters)
- Marti Oakley (1 chatters)
- NDB Media Sports Channel (1 chatters)
- Raw Sex (1 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- Catz1* (1 chatters)
- Clay Douglas (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Bonnie Kaye (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- AOW Productions (1 chatters)
- Drunken Radio (1 chatters)
- Dollhouse Radio by India Morel (1 chatters)
- E3 Radio (1 chatters)
- EmilioDiaz (1 chatters)
- The Love Zone USA (1 chatters)
- The Larry Love Show (1 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (1 chatters)
- The Program Returns (1 chatters)
- Winning America Back (1 chatters)
- WoT Radio0 (1 chatters)
- We Game (1 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (1 chatters)