SORT BY Relevancy
Join Book Club Girl of the blog http://bookclubgirl.com as she welcomes Jessica Jiji, author of Sweet Dates in Basra for a book club discussion.
Just when her family should be arranging her marriage, Kathmiya Mahmoud, a young Marsh Arab maiden, is sent from her home in Iraq's idyllic countryside to the unfamiliar city of Basra, where she must survive on her paltry earnings as a servant. Her only asset—her exquisite beauty—brings more peril than peace. Worse, her mother appears to be keeping a secret about her own mysterious past, one that could threaten Kathmiya's destiny forever.
In this lost Iraq of the 1940s, a time of rich traditions and converging worlds, Kathmiya meets Shafiq, a Jewish boy whose brotherhood with his Muslim neighbor Omar proves that religion is no barrier to friendship. But in a world where loss of honor is punishable by death, the closeness that grows between Kathmiya and Shafiq becomes dangerous as a doomed love takes root. When British warplanes begin bombing Iraq and the country's long-simmering tensions explode, the power of an unbreakable boyhood bond and a transcendent love must overcome the deepening fractures of a collapsing society.
Set during the tumultuous years surrounding the Second World War, Sweet Dates in Basra is the redemptive story of two very different cultures, and a powerful reminder that no walls can confine the human spirit.
When asked to do something, many people want to know how will they be paid. Well, Jiji will share with us the deeper, more spiritual reason why we should volunteer. We will see why volunteering is not something that we do only during the holidays, but it should be a continual thing.
Join Host Live Chats
- Curious Times (14 chatters)
- Perry Steele (14 chatters)
- Love Productions (11 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (10 chatters)
- Mega Powers Radio (5 chatters)
- Hot Topics Talk Radio (5 chatters)
- order of the black dragon (5 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (4 chatters)
- 2Raw4TV (4 chatters)
- Politics and A Beer (3 chatters)
- Universal Radio (2 chatters)
- Beyond Abuse Radio (2 chatters)
- Olive Branch Ministries (2 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (1 chatters)
- ROADTOSTARDOM RADIO (1 chatters)
- The Lotus Place (1 chatters)
- The Real Side Radio (1 chatters)
- TRUE RADIO ENT (1 chatters)