SORT BY Relevancy
It is an African American tradition to hold on to and treasure certain Funeral Programs because they represent a final and public tribute to the life of family members, friends and associates. Ms.Sutton began actively collecting Funeral Programs and Newspaper Obituaries in1986. Today she has a 15 volume collection of 2" loose-leaf binders full of them consisting of at least 1000 people. She will share with you how to decipher the clues provided therein to help with your genealogical research.
Karen E. Sutton is a Family Historian, specializing in African-American research in Maryland,Virginia, & Washington, DC,Medical, and Lineage Societies in general, and the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) research in particular. She joined NSDAR based on the service of her free black ancestor from Virginia. Karen also served as National membership chair for the Afro-American Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc.(AAHGS), is a charter member of the Baltimore Chapter of AAHGS, and is the first Black “National Vice-Chairperson -- African American” -- for the“National Lineage Research Committee,” NSDAR. She holds a B.S. in Nursing and a Master's degree in Historical Studies. After receiving her MA,Karen worked at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in colonial costume, and is currently employed as a Registered Nurse in Long Term Care. She has also taught "African American History" and "Introduction to the African American Experience" courses in the Africana Studies Department at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, and is seeking similar employment at a Baltimore Area Community College or University.
BluPrint welcomes Dr. Joseph Bullock to our radio show! Dr. Bullock will enlighten us on the value and benefit of Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs). EAPs intended to help employees better deal with personal problems that might impact their work-place performance, behaviors and well-being. EAPs include short-term counseling and referral services for employees and their household members. On this episode, Dr. Bullock will talk with us about several critical areas including the most common reasons clients seek EAP services, how EAP services help veterans and those who are active duty may take advantage of EAP services.
ABOUT DR. BULLOCK
Dr. Bullock has over 25 years of experience as a professional counselor, clinical supervisor and administrator. Currently, he is currently the Director of Substance Abuse Services for the Arlington County Department of Human Services in Arlington, Virginia.
Dr. Bullock is also a consultant to the United States Navy providing training and clinical supervision services to counselors in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area. Dr. Bullock’s professional experience also includes providing numerous workshops on mental health, substance abuse and other counseling related topics. Dr. Bullock is an Adjunct Faculty at Liberty University in the Center for Counseling and Family Studies. Dr. Bullock has a Master’s Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling from Virginia Commonwealth University and a Doctoral Degree in Community Agency Counseling from Virginia Tech University. Dr. Bullock is licensed as a professional counselor and substance abuse treatment provider in Virginia and Maryland.
It's Brother Leonard The TruthSeeker and I'm back!!
After some time off, I'm coming to talk about the final party where you are the guess of honor and you are not even there. My wife and I experienced two funerals within a week. Within those services we witnessed some things and we have a lot to say about the funeral service. Tonight, the CFR will go where we haven't gone before. Join the Discussion at 661-449-9951.
Listen to the Stories for Children Show Monday July 28, 2014 at 6pm Eastern - 5pm Central - 4pm Mountain - 3pm Pacific for a special on Summer Reading Programs and Book Clubs. Mom's Choice & Award-winning Author Virginia S Grenier will be talking about the importance of children and teens reading through the summer months.
Our guest today is Rebecca Kelley, the National Director of Achievement Gap Initiatives of the YMCA. During 12 years with the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati, Rebecca co-led a multi-sector community team that developed the award-winning Cincinnati Community Learning Center initiative and academic enrichment programs, including CincyAfterSchool, a 2013 nominee for National Summer Learning Association’s Award of Excellence. Through school-community partnership, Cincinnati produced a rise in graduation rates during the past decade from 50 percent to 82 percent, and a reduction in the achievement gap from 14.5 percent to 4.5 percent. Prior to joining the YMCA, Rebecca served as the director of knowledge and innovation for Strive’s National Network at the KnowledgeWorks Foundation, she supported more than 90 cradle to career collective impact initiatives.
Grenier, with her guest Rebecca Kelley, hope to not only share their love of the written word, but also what makes a good book for young readers and much more.
Learn more about our network at http://worldofinknetwork.com
Find great books and articles on our blog or follow us on our Facebook Fanpage!
Join us in welcoming Captain Alan C. Peterson - Chief Dental Officer for the Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Prisons at the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary - Atlanta, Georgia and Mr. Jeffery Seiple, Anatomical Coordinator at the Georgia Campus- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine both seasoned affiliates of Disaster Mortuary Operations Response Teams (DMORT). Capt. Peterson worked during the 9/11 disaster to identify the victims through the use of forensic dentistry. Mr. Seiple has worked during several disasters embalming victims so that they could be identified by their loved ones and funeralized. Tune in to learn more about DMORT and the powerful impact that dentistry and funeral service have on one another.
Peter Champe founder of Comfy Care and Eclipse Sun Products talks about how he identified a product; got it created; built a successful website; entered the consumer market and learned many things he shares with the audience. A truly spectacular interview every small business leader needs to hear.
Raena Janes from Veebo talks about how rewards programs can bring merchants customers, added sales, increased profits. Her enthusiasm for the product made her invest and become its CEO.
Deb Bowen an Authority on Nudism as a Lifestyle, Clothing Optional & Lifestyle Expert talks about nudism as a marketplace.
Anna May Manigault-Hurley
Female Funeral Home Director and Embalmer
In 1940, Anna went to New York to study embalming at the famous Renouard School of Embalming. After her graduation, she returned to Columbia as one of the few women in South Carolina to become a licensed embalmer. Embalming school changed her life and she went on to direct the family's business. Mrs. Manigault-Hurley also helped to operate the Congaree Casket Company, founded by her father. After her father, William Manigault, died in 1940, Anna Manigault made a career choice that was uncommon for women. Her mother, Annie Rivers Manigault, along with her father, owned and operated Manigault's Funeral Home at 714 Main Street in.Columbia, South Carolina. Their funeral home was one of the few African American businesses located on Main Street. As a young person, Miss Manigault assisted her parents at the funeral home. It was known to employ more African Americans than any other black owned business in South Carolina!
The printed funeral programs of her mortuary were known to be the first use of printed programs in South Carolina for funeral services. Among its many services, the casket company and the mortuary provided free meals for its employees and others in need. In 1959, she relocated the funeral home to 2229 Two Notch Road, Columbia, S.C. and it became the Manigault-Hurley Funeral Home, Inc. Mrs. Manigault-Hurley remained active in many civic organizations, and in her church, the Union Baptist Church, until her death on April 15, 1976.
The legacy of Anna May Manigault-Hurley continues. The funeral home is currently under the management and directorship of her son, Anthony Manigault-Hurley; her granddaughter, Michelle Manigault-Hurley; and Mr. Hurley's wife, Alice Wyche Hurley."
Join Host Live Chats
- Talk Real Solutions (52 chatters)
- NTEB (35 chatters)
- Eric Balkman (34 chatters)
- KNOW THE LEDGE RADIO (34 chatters)
- Curious Times (29 chatters)
- Underground Professor Radio (28 chatters)
- thelordshour (26 chatters)
- MHHS Eyes Wide Open (25 chatters)
- TonyWolfPaw (23 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (21 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (18 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (18 chatters)
- Symmetry of Soul (18 chatters)
- Cat Scratch Radio (15 chatters)
- Odwirafo (14 chatters)
- Dead End Sports (13 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (12 chatters)
- Restoring Your Reality (11 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (10 chatters)
- gamechangersradio (10 chatters)
- AIR Abundance Internet Radio (8 chatters)
- Mystic Light and Shadows (8 chatters)
- Messages From Beyond (7 chatters)
- Metaphysical and Spiritual Chat (7 chatters)
- The Watchman Is216 (7 chatters)
- Barbershop Sports (7 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (7 chatters)
- RHeart (6 chatters)
- Psychic Melinda (6 chatters)
- Pro MMA Now Radio (5 chatters)
- Talking Smooth Jazz (5 chatters)
- SURN Host (5 chatters)
- Larry Csonka (5 chatters)
- Lorries Talk News Radio (5 chatters)
- William Telltale (5 chatters)
- Jay King Network (4 chatters)
- Da DNell Experience (4 chatters)
- The Psychic Surgeon (4 chatters)
- The View from Montana (4 chatters)
- Shay Renae and Friends (4 chatters)
- SUPER HOST (4 chatters)
- The Drop Night Show (3 chatters)
- The Underground Sex Show (3 chatters)
- Prophecy Quake (3 chatters)
- Paranormal Geeks Radio (3 chatters)
- Paranormal Horizons (3 chatters)
- InThePaint (3 chatters)
- Love Productions (3 chatters)
- drinkfive (3 chatters)
- G Konsciousness Radio (2 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (2 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (2 chatters)
- Contending 4 Truth Radio (2 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (2 chatters)
- DocVaj2 (2 chatters)
- Dollhouse Radio by India Morel (2 chatters)
- AACONS (2 chatters)
- Aquarian Radio (2 chatters)
- patriots united (2 chatters)
- Relationship Realities with Lady K (2 chatters)
- NDB Media (2 chatters)
- The Smooth Jazz Ride (2 chatters)
- Swaggercountdown (2 chatters)
- The Hot Corner (2 chatters)
- Zaiyahs House (2 chatters)
- Winning America Back (1 chatters)
- womenradio (1 chatters)
- TJMorrisETRadio (1 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (1 chatters)
- The Huddle 3 (1 chatters)
- Packers Talk Radio Network (1 chatters)
- MUTHA WIT WISDOM (1 chatters)
- My Rays of Light Radio (1 chatters)
- AOW Productions (1 chatters)
- Carl Richards Show (1 chatters)
- Diane Grimble Ministries Friends (1 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (1 chatters)
- Get Lifted Radio (1 chatters)
- Hall Issachar Ministries (1 chatters)
- Injustice System (1 chatters)