SORT BY Relevancy
Exene is a singer, artist and poet whose work traverses virtually every aspect of those disciplines. Best known as the singer for X, one of the leaders of the late-'70s/early-'80s California punk explosion, Exene Cervenka has also issued solo albums, launched several side bands (The Knitters), and penned books. X just announced plans to join their east coast comrades, BLONDIE, as a Special Guest on their fall U.S. “No Principals Tour.” Set to kick off September 5th, the bands will hit U.S cities including Atlantic City, Washington, DC, Chicago, San Francisco, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Nashville, Atlanta and Philadelphia before wrapping October 4th in New York City at Roseland Ballroom.
Three decades after the inception of X, songs written during the group’s inception are as relevant and inventive now as they were in 1977. The original line-up of X remains John Doe, Exene Cervenka, Billy Zoom, and D.J. Bonebrake.
John Doe found her in Venice Beach at a poetry reading. He liked her poems so much he offered to perform them in his band. The poet, Exene Cervenka, had just moved to town from Florida and she told him, no offense, but if anyone was gonna perform her poems, it would be her, and she soon ended up in the band.
The band’s early albums, LOS ANGELES (1980), produced by Ray Manzarek of the Doors, WILD GIFT (1981), and UNDER THE BIG BLACK SUN (1982) explored dark love and an even darker L.A. with the unflinching eye of a Raymond Chandler novel.
Doe and Cervenka would marry and later divorce, but they’d always remain soulmates. As they released each ensuing album, MORE FUN IN THE NEW WORLD (1983) and AIN'T LOVE GRAND (1985), the band continued to grow sonically and politically, fearlessly mixing genres without ever losing its center.
Listen Live @ http://www.swoopsworld.com
On Wednesday June 6, 2012 at 8pm/PST (11pm/EST) we welcome two great guests. At 8pm/PST we welcome wine educator Ian Blackburn of LearnAboutWine.com After our interview with Ian, We are honored to welcome singer, artist and poet Exene Cervenka singer and co-founder of the legendary Los Angeles punk rock band, X. After Ian and Exene, We will, of course, have our Brewskis beer tasting segment, and TBones Timeout, followed by our take on all topics, as well as any interesting news of the day. Swoop’s World Late Night is on from 8pm/PST – 11pm/PST tune in at Swoopsworld.com.
After our interviews with Ian Blackburn and Exene Cervenka, we’ll be up to all of our usual fun including “Brewskis” Beer Tasting sponsored by DrinksWinesSpirits.com, sports talk, rants and more.
The Swoop’s World iPhone app is now available in the iTunes store. Download yours for free now!
Keep up with what’s happening here at Swoop’s World. Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know about upcoming guests and shows.
Every episode of Swoop’s World is archived here on the website. You can find it the next day embedded with the weekly episode description. Or log onto iTunes and download it straight to your favorite MP3 player.
Cettina Donato was born in Messina, Sicily. She played drums at 6, and studied classical piano at the Conservatory of Messina, since 9. She graduated in Classical Piano, Jazz Piano, and in Musical Didactic. She studied Classical Composition and graduated in Psychology from the University of Messina. She received two Masters in Special Didactic. Cettina plays classical and jazz music with Giovanni Mazzarino, Salvatore Bonafede, Ray Santisi, Joanne Brackeen, Greg Hopkins, Adam Nussbaum, Billy Harper, Matthew Nicholl, Ron Savage, Dario Deidda, Roberto Gatto, Dado Moroni, Orazio Maugeri, Bob Mintzer, Ken Cervenka, Marcello Pellitteri, Marco Panascia, Ron Reid, and Garrison Fewell . Cettina published her first CD Pristine on the Wide Sound Label. Cettina won a scholarship to Berklee College of Music of Boston and graduated in December 2011 in Jazz Composition. She performs as bandleader and conductor in Italy and the U.S at Berklee College of Music, Berklee Performance Center, Jordan Hall, Kendall Square, Lilypad Jazz Club, Ryles Jazz Club, Outpost 186, Eastern Standard, Boston School of Wine, Boston Common, and Spectacle Island. She received the Carla Bley Award and is a JRR artist of Berklee College of Music. She performed with the Berklee Contemporary Symphony Orchestra and the Boston Ballet Company. She performed at Umbria Jazz Festival (2010-12), accompanist for Donna McElroy's voice classes; Piazza Jazz Festival, Non Solo Jazz Festival, Berklee In The City, Berklee Summer, Note D'Estate Festival, Mantova Music Festival, Vatican Radio, Women In Jazz, European Music Festival. Her album Crescendo released in 2013, on the Jazzy Record Label and her composition “Lost & Found” is on the Women in Jazz South Florida Music Collection Volume III. www.cettinadonato.com
Co Hosting: Monica Rosales from DOCMIAMI
Rich Ferguson has performed across the country and has been heard on many radio stations, including WBAI in New York City, KCRW and KPFK in Southern California, and World Radio. He has shared the stage with Patti Smith and Janet Hamill, Exene Cervenka, David Thomas of Pere Ubu, Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa, Missing Persons), Bob Holman, and many other esteemed poets and musicians. He has performed at the Redcat Theater in Disney Hall, the New York City International Fringe Festival, The Knitting Factory (NYC & LA), the South by Southwest Music Festival, the North By Northwest Music Festival, Stephen Elliott’s “The Rumpus,” the Henry Miller Library, the Miami International Documentary Film Festival, the Topanga Film Festival, the Electric Lodge (Venice, CA), and Beyond Baroque. In addition, he has performed and lectured at El Camino College, UC Irvine, UC-Santa Barbara, Cal State Northridge, the County of Orange Youth Guidance Center Probation Department, and San Pedro High School’s Docs Rock International Documentary Series. He is also a featured performer in the film, What About Me (the sequel to the double Grammy-nominated film 1 Giant Leap), featuring Michael Stipe, Michael Franti, k.d. lang, Krishna Das, and others. Ferguson has studied poetry with Allen Ginsberg and fiction writing with Aimee Bender and Sid Stebel. In addition, he has been published in the LA TIMES, spotlighted on PBS (Egg: The Art Show), and was the recent winner in Opium Magazine’s Literary Death Match, LA. He is a regular contributor and poetry editor to the online literary journal, The Nervous Breakdown, and his spoken word/music video “All The Times” was screened at the Valley Film Festival in October 2009.
Join Rafael as he talks to Suzi Kaplan Olmsted and Jonathan Penton
In 1998 Jonathan Penton founded Unlikely Stories, the Web’s first monthly publication of neo-pulp and transgressive literature. In 2004, Unlikely Stories was transformed into Unlikely 2.0, an eclectic journal of culture and art, featuring poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, cultural and political essays, reviews, interviews, visual art, music, spoken word, film, chapbooks, and various unclassifiable methods of expression. Unlikely 2.0 hits approximately 22 issues a year, publishing a text-based issue and a multimedia-based issue in most months.
Suzi Kaplan Olmsted has appeared in The Sun, Blue Satellite, 51%, F.T.S, Big Scream, poetrysuperhighway.com, M.A.G., Lummox Journal, getunderground.com and Napalm Health Spa. Suzi read on the broadcast of the Annual West Coast Live Poetry Jam, and she is also one of illustrators of The Ellyn Maybe Coloring Book edited by Exxene Cervenka (Sacred Beverage Press, 1997). She has been a student of Deena Metzger since 1993. Her book, and now lives in Oakland, California with her husband, poet Marc Olmsted, where they are slaves to the bidding of extraordinary cat Girly-Girl.
Of course I will talk about my new book, but if you wish to mention it in the bio, it is called Institutional Wallet, and it is on Virgogrey Press.
Jonathan is the manager of Make It New Media, an El Paso-based firm helping small presses with their printing, distribution, fulfillment, and Web presence.
Jonathan writes poetry on the topics of not having enough sex and having too much sex. He occasionally writes literary criticism, which often veers into those same themes. His own poetry chapbooks are Last Chap (Vergin’ Press, 2004), Blood and Salsa and Painting Rust (self-published in one volume, 2006) and Prosthetic Gods (New Sins Press, 2008).
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (499 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (74 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (37 chatters)
- Tha Boxing Voice Radio Show (26 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (26 chatters)
- The Portal (25 chatters)
- thelordshour (20 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (16 chatters)
- Lets talkXXXGod is not Religious (11 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (10 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (10 chatters)
- in5d (7 chatters)
- DYNASTY NETWORK 1382 (7 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (6 chatters)
- The Rebecca Juro Show (6 chatters)
- SpeakEasy Cafe (6 chatters)
- Whispers from Heaven (6 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (6 chatters)
- Sweet Psychic (5 chatters)
- The One People Oneness Radio (5 chatters)
- Living Astrology (5 chatters)
- Body of Christ (4 chatters)
- HOV Radio (4 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (4 chatters)
- The Voice of Leadership (3 chatters)
- Trek Talking (3 chatters)
- Diary of A Psalmist (3 chatters)
- Lesbian Love Talk (3 chatters)
- MMA Jam (3 chatters)
- Random Rants (3 chatters)
- Rifleman (3 chatters)
- Stilettos And Convos (3 chatters)
- Rockin Country Radio (3 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (3 chatters)
- SiS NSpirit (2 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (2 chatters)
- The Keys107 (2 chatters)
- The Tailgate Show (2 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (2 chatters)
- Move to Amend (2 chatters)
- My Old Catholic Radio (2 chatters)
- DA PUTER SHACK KARAOKE RADIO (2 chatters)
- dtm radio (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- iCandiRadio (2 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (2 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (2 chatters)
- HannaproDiscus (2 chatters)
- Bill Murray (2 chatters)
- CAA Radio Show (2 chatters)
- Conservative Report (2 chatters)
- Contending 4 Truth Radio (2 chatters)
- WHTP Radio Network (2 chatters)
- YBP (1 chatters)
- TXHXOXRX MINISTRY RADIO NETWORK (1 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (1 chatters)
- Cowboy Wisdom Radio (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Cage Side Submissions (1 chatters)
- carsonscorner (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Bishop Maurice L Irvin (1 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (1 chatters)
- Angel Heart Radio (1 chatters)
- Be Not Deceived Radio (1 chatters)
- GRANNY GANJA (1 chatters)
- El Maat (1 chatters)
- ElijahFireRadio (1 chatters)
- FanSportsandPolitics (1 chatters)
- Men Lets Talk (1 chatters)
- Real1Talk1 (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- Positively Incorrect (1 chatters)
- Prophecy at the Midnight Hour (1 chatters)
- The Random Frequency Network (1 chatters)
- The Liberal Redneck (1 chatters)
- Station IWDM (1 chatters)
- Tarhaka (1 chatters)
- Salvation In Jesus Ministry (1 chatters)