SORT BY Relevancy
Once considered a frigid wasteland, the Arctic is melting faster than any other region on earth and revealing its hidden treasures in the process, from oil to new shipping routes.
A race for control has broken out as the Arctic emerges as a region of vital economic and military importance. It is estimated that the Arctic holds nearly a quarter of the world’s undiscovered oil and gas reserves.
Nations are furiously mapping seabeds, vying for sections of continental shelf in accordance with
More than a decade after the war’s end, Bosnia and Herzegovina may once more be on the brink of conflict.
The 1992-1995 war in Bosnia left approximately 100,000 dead and divided Muslim, Serb and Croat communities.
Though the U.S.-brokered Dayton peace agreement brought an end to the war, the country remains divided, and officials worry that the peace agreement could soon collapse.
In late May, U.S. Vice President Joseph Biden visited Bosnia and voiced concerns, saying “To be very blunt wi
Somalia, Zimbabwe and Sudan topped the list of failed states this year — rankings based on human rights, governance, economic activity and other indicators.
Also among the top 10 are Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Poverty is endemic in many failed or failing states; in others, the government has lost legitimacy and control. As economic pressures increase with the global financial crisis, and environmental pressures contribute to water and food shortages,
While the conflict and bloodshed in Sudan’s Darfur region have received much attention from the international press and human rights groups, other conflicts in the country — in the north, the south and in the central Nuba Mountains — have largely remained outside the spotlight.
Worldfocus.org’s weekly radio show will explore tensions in South Sudan, the site of a two-decade civil war between the Muslim north and mostly Christian south that killed more than 1.5 million people. The south is also
Iraq’s massive oil reserves, the third largest in the world, are well-known. But small businesses represent about 90 percent of the country’s businesses.
More than a quarter of young men in Iraq are jobless, according to the United Nations, and this high rate of unemployment and lack of prospects can often contribute to instability. Some 450,000 people will enter the workforce in Iraq this year — but only a fraction of them will find jobs.
The country is also not immune from the global finan
Iran arrested seven leaders of the religious Baha’i community last year, charging them with espionage and alleging that the five men and two women are spies for Israel. Baha’i headquarters are located in Israel.
Iranian leaders view the religion as heresy and it has been banned since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Many followers of the Baha’i faith in Iran have been arrested, imprisoned or executed.
The Baha’i faith is a monotheistic religion with origins in 19th-century Iran. Baha’is are co
Competition for natural resources often lies at the heart of human conflict, from oil and water in the Middle East to contested coltan in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
In today’s economic environment, the demand for some resources may be declining, but the importance of who controls natural resources like oil and water — and how they control — is of pressing importance as supplies of these resources dwindle.
This proves particularly true for developing countries, where the right decisi
From human rights abuses to political progress, the gay rights movement is at different stages throughout the world. We’ll take a comparative look at the progress of LGBT politics and the gay rights movement in different countries and explore the U.S. and Canada as safe havens for gay asylum seekers. Martin Savidge hosts David Rayside and Rachel Tiven on Worldfocus Radio.
At least 140 people were killed and more than 800 injured in China, where tensions between ethnic Uighurs and Han Chinese turned deadly, according to state-run media. Rioters stoned police and set vehicles on fire.
The government responded swiftly to riots, reportedly locking down parts of the city of Urumqi and disabling communication tools like Twitter, but protests spread to other cities.
The ethnically Muslim Uyghurs live in the oil-rich Xinjiang region, north of Tibet. The Chinese gov
Last year, the Economist magazine slotted Ethiopia as the fourth fastest economy in the world, ahead of China. The World Bank report “Doing Business 2010” ranks Ethiopia in the top 10 African nations in terms of the ease of doing business. The Ethiopian government is trying to strengthen local and regional businesses and attract foreign direct investment.
Martin Savidge, Ethiopian businessman Ermyas Amelga and economics professor Phillip LeBel discuss how easy it is to do business in Ethiopia
Martin Savidge hosts Filipino peace negotiator and Catholic priest Eliseo Mercado and security analyst Zachary Abuza when Worldfocus Radio explores the forgotten terrorist front in the Philippines.
Since 9/11, the U.S. has stationed 500 to 600 troops in the Philippines to strengthen military forces there. The U.S. counter-insurgency efforts in the Philippines have been applauded as success stories for its mix of military might and soft power diplomacy. The U.S. is also pouring aid into the P
Last month, Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom declared a "state of calamity" to shunt mass hunger and the worst drought in 70 years. More than half of Guatemala's 13 million inhabitants live below the poverty line and 50 percent of children are malnourished. But these are only the surface casualties of a vulnerable nation ravaged by 36 years of civil war, genocide and now, theencroaching drug war spilling over from Mexico's northern border.
Worldfocus special correspondent Martin Savidge expl
Join Host Live Chats
- Phoenix3333 (177 chatters)
- John Baptist (167 chatters)
- Tha Boxingvoice Radio Show (48 chatters)
- Pine Ridge Warriors (43 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (43 chatters)
- Straitway (33 chatters)
- NTEB (33 chatters)
- Paradigm Shift Radio (25 chatters)
- The NIGGA CHURCH (25 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (21 chatters)
- Well Armed Radio (19 chatters)
- Gecko Nation Radio (18 chatters)
- GATHERING OF CHRIST CHURCH (16 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (16 chatters)
- thelordshour (15 chatters)
- Viviendo con los Angeles (13 chatters)
- Marti Oakley (12 chatters)
- Rich Wilson (12 chatters)
- Psychic Teachers (10 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (10 chatters)
- 5D Media Network (9 chatters)
- AltCon Radio (9 chatters)
- Yammering Lew with Gavin (9 chatters)
- The School of Shamanism (8 chatters)
- The Psychic Viewpoint (7 chatters)
- ExpandingU RADIO (7 chatters)
- Starborn Support Radio (7 chatters)
- Psychic Melinda (7 chatters)
- On The Move with Mack Worley (7 chatters)
- Mike Shorten (6 chatters)
- Libertys Thunder (6 chatters)
- KDCL Media (6 chatters)
- The Crow and Moore Show (6 chatters)
- OPWR (6 chatters)
- Pagan Musings Podcast Channel (6 chatters)
- Fox Valley Kubb Radio (6 chatters)
- BBQSuperStars (5 chatters)
- Life Coach Radio Network (5 chatters)
- We Built That Network (5 chatters)
- TWR Radio (4 chatters)
- Type1RadioAshram (4 chatters)
- The Single Connection (4 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (4 chatters)
- onCUE Radio Show (4 chatters)
- Nation Building Movement (4 chatters)
- Angel Heart Radio (4 chatters)
- Josh and Paul (4 chatters)
- Jay King Network (3 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (3 chatters)
- Fan vs Fan Radio Network (3 chatters)
- Generation Orange A Dynamo Podcast (3 chatters)
- Bill Murray (3 chatters)
- Know Thyself Radio Network (3 chatters)
- Tarvino (3 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (3 chatters)
- The World of Ideas (3 chatters)
- Truth Emerges (3 chatters)
- We Game (2 chatters)
- PEAS IN THEIR PODS (2 chatters)
- Robert Rule Show (2 chatters)
- Mathis Media Hub Radio (2 chatters)
- MKSPCG (2 chatters)
- Moonlighting by Numbers (2 chatters)
- BLACK SATIN RADIO LIVE (2 chatters)
- Endless Encouragement (2 chatters)
- 63630 (2 chatters)
- Fantasy Alarm Podcast (2 chatters)
- Innovative Black Men (2 chatters)
- JasonAdams3 (2 chatters)
- Forward Boldly (1 chatters)
- Grab Some Bench (1 chatters)
- HUGS Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Alis MEN Radio (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- AMUN RA (1 chatters)
- Apostle ONeal Bosley Jr (1 chatters)
- BLIF NETWORK (1 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Coffee with Chris (1 chatters)
- MOUNTAIN CHILD (1 chatters)
- New Colony Network (1 chatters)
- Lance Scurv (1 chatters)
- Kawakab (1 chatters)
- Soul Tree Radio X In The Raw (1 chatters)
- spiritualactivists (1 chatters)
- PANDA Podcast (1 chatters)
- Welcome to Proper Manors USA (1 chatters)
- vortexnetworknews (1 chatters)
- Trans4mational Conversations (1 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (1 chatters)
- TiDo Witnesses (1 chatters)
- TJMorrisETradio (0 chatters)
- WacoTeaPartyWatchdog (0 chatters)