SORT BY Relevancy
Macro economist Dean Baker and Jay Ackroyd discuss the role public sector unions have played in the labor movement, wage rates, pensions and economic growth and income equality Baker is an American macroeconomist and co-founder of the Center for Economic and Policy Research.
Join me as I talk candidly about the pros and cons to unions and why they've become an easy target for republicans. I also talk about money in politics and whats wrong with all this free *cough cough* speech. I continue with my Walker coverage for president. Join me live as we discuss!
On this week's program, we will take a look at how our nation's railroad's are viewed by the media, legislators and the unions. With the recent tragic crash outside Philadelphia, PA and reports that followed, we will talk with some people that deal with those areas, and how they interpret what is happening and what should be happening.
Matt Frendewey is the National Communications Director for The American Federation for Children. Led by the NEA and AFT, the national teachers' unions boasted of spending $80 million in this election to defeat candidates who support vouchers, teacher accountability and other promising education reforms. They lost. And they lost big.
The number one target for school choice opponents was Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, an unapologetic supporter of vouchers for kids in the struggling under-performing schools. The unions spent millions to defeat Walker – three times – and they lost all three times.
The American Federation for Children and the Alliance for School Choice seek to improve our nation’s K-12 education by advancing systemic and sustainable public policy that empowers parents, particularly those in low-income families, to choose the education they determine is best for their children.
National Review: Since Politics Nation debuted on MSNBC on August 29, 2011, Al Sharpton’s nonprofit National Action Network has collected more than $2.38 million in contributions from unions, according to Department of Labor records. Meanwhile, Sharpton has often used his show to promote pro-labor viewpoints, also inviting union leadership on as guests.
Sharpton has swapped donations to National Action Network for air time before, though it’s unclear whether such arrangements apply to his MSNBC show. Sharpton has swapped donations to National Action Network for air time before, though it’s unclear whether such arrangements apply to his MSNBC show.
Dave Bego is a CEO and author of The Devil at Our Doorstep.
Tags: Dave Bego, Devil at Our Doorstep, Sharpton, MSNBC, union, labor, National Action Network
"Just as mass incarceration has burdened American Taxpayers in major prison states, so is the use of inmate labor contributing to lost jobs, unemployment and decreased wages among woorkers - while corporate profits soar," says Alex Friedmann, associate editor of Prison Legal News. (article taken from thenation.com, Mike Elk and Bob Sloan) Here is yet more activity from ALEC and the Billionaire Koch Brothers
Last week I went to a function at the Harris County Democratic Party. A young speaker at the event spent about half a hour talking about the United Steelworkers Union strike against 11 refineries including Royal Dutch Shell and LyondellBasell in the Houston Area.
I read a lot of news. Why is this news not widely out there. At a time when we are constantly talking about income inequality and wealth disparity one would think it would be covered. At a time when labor unions are in decline, how is it not news?
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here.
Blog of the week
Please help us build our new Politics Done Right page by LIKEing it now
"Just as mass incarceration has burdened American Taxpayers in major prison states, so is the use of inmate labor contributing to lost jobs, unemployment and decreased wages among woorkers - while corporate profits soar," says Alex Friedmann, associate editor of Prison Legal News. ( article taken from thenation.com, Mike Elk and Bob Sloan) Here is yet more activity from ALEC and the Billionaire Koch Brothers.
Learn if banks are safer than credit unions and savings and loan associations to store your money during these current unpredictable economic times.
It is time Americans take down the GOP veil of deceit and work once again to strengthen American Unions. Unions are responsible for everything good about working class Americans way of life. GOP lobbyist are responsible for everything that has contributed to the crushing of American unions. The top 1% of Americans own 42 percent of the USA. Without unions being in American history, think about what America would look like today. Our soldiers are on food stamps all across America. A lady dies in Florida because of lack of finances to purchase life saving drugs. A lady dies in New Jersey, while sleeping in her vehicle, getting rested up so she could work a second shift on her full time job. Unions are representative of workers. The union is a collective body that speaks and negotiates the wishes of workers to CEOs and politicians. Lobbyist are a collective body that speaks and negotiates the wishes of CEOs to politicians.
Without unions would USA have:
Ended child labor
40 hour work week and paid overtime
Worker's comp benefits for workers injured on the job
Unemployment insurance for workers who lose their jobs
A guaranteed minimum wage for workers
Pensions for workers
Healthcare insurance for workers
Paid sick leave, vacations, and holidays as standard benefits for most workers
the right for public sector workers to collectively bargain
Occupational Safety and Health Act
Family Medical Leave Act
Lobbyist are there for American Legislative Exchange Council, who are a body of corporations, headed up by CEOs whose goal is to develop wealth through massive unemployment of the American worker. This happens because of the GOP. GOP protects CEOs with laws to outsource US jobs, and bring in Foreign workers to do jobs, claiming Americans won't do the jobs, or can't do the jobs. Call this crap!
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (498 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (72 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (53 chatters)
- ANGRYFANS RADIO 1 (48 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (28 chatters)
- wheresobamasbirthcertificateXcom (24 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (23 chatters)
- SasquatchWatch Radio (23 chatters)
- HINDSIGHT RADIO (22 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (21 chatters)
- KNOW THE LEDGE RADIO (18 chatters)
- thelordshour (17 chatters)
- MHHS Eyes Wide Open (15 chatters)
- Odwirafo (14 chatters)
- AlyBlue Media (14 chatters)
- Symmetry of Soul (12 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (10 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (10 chatters)
- in5d (10 chatters)
- Dead End Sports (8 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (8 chatters)
- Witch School (7 chatters)
- the LMC Radio Network (6 chatters)
- Prophecy Quake (6 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (6 chatters)
- InThePaint (5 chatters)
- IDECLAIR (4 chatters)
- Eye of the Seer (4 chatters)
- Brower Report (4 chatters)
- Soul Empowerment Radio (4 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (4 chatters)
- Tarhaka (4 chatters)
- Truth Emerges (4 chatters)
- Twin Radio (3 chatters)
- WorldOfInkNetwork (3 chatters)
- The Fourth Turn Radio (3 chatters)
- T J Sotomayor (3 chatters)
- RLS Network (3 chatters)
- RoxieZw (3 chatters)
- SandyRodgers (3 chatters)
- All Fans Sports Radio (3 chatters)
- Ed Boston Podcast (3 chatters)
- Ashes2Beauty (3 chatters)
- Life Conversations (3 chatters)
- NCI Radio (3 chatters)
- nXphase Records (2 chatters)
- Lez Elegance Radio (2 chatters)
- Alex Cardinale Network (2 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (2 chatters)
- DHead Radio (2 chatters)
- Shay Renae and Friends (2 chatters)
- The Goddess Suite (2 chatters)
- The Hilltop Radio Show (2 chatters)
- Teas with Rie (2 chatters)
- thedean (2 chatters)
- UP AND DOWN MAGAZINE RADIO23 (1 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Zaiyahs House (1 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (1 chatters)
- ROADTOSTARDOM RADIO (1 chatters)
- Real1Talk1 (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- AverageBlackMan (1 chatters)
- Angel Heart Radio (1 chatters)
- Jamie Roxx (1 chatters)
- Jay King Network (1 chatters)
- PRNRadioNetwork (1 chatters)
- Married Men Dont Talk Show (1 chatters)
- ChrystyanaLadoucer (0 chatters)