SORT BY Relevancy
Background: Substances of abuse are a cultural phenomenon as ancient as civilization itself. Only recently, however, have scientists begun to study their effects on us, and more specifically, their effects on our brains. Why do people get addicted to drugs, tobacco, and alcohol? Why is it so hard to kick a habit? It stands to reason that since drug use is self-destructive, people would naturally avoid it. This obviously is not the case. What is not so obvious, however, is why people turn to addictive drugs. People use drugs, tobacco, and alcohol to feel good, without regard to the fact that long-term effects are very bad. Research is only now showing us how genetic and environmental factors all play a part in our susceptibility to substance addiction.
KEY WORDS: Alcoholism, dopamine, emotional memory, neurotransmitter, physical dependence, addiction
The Dana Sourcebook of Brain Science
SUGGESTED RECALL QUESTIONS: 1. What percentage of Americans smoke on a daily basis? 25 percent, one in four.
2. What percentage of American high school students use tobacco? 35 percent, more than one in three.
3. How many adult Americans have used an illegal drug at some point in their lives?: a) 70,000 b) 700,000 c) 7,000,000 d) 70,000,000 Answer: d
4. Can drug use modify your brain? Yes.
5. True or false: Nicotine is NOT an addictive substance. False
6. How can alcohol abuse affect memory loss and dementia? Alcohol abuse can lead to or increase both.
Are you ready to slash your home energy costs while dramatically reducing your carbon footprint? In The Homeowners Guide To Renewable Energy, Achieving Energy Independence Through Solar, Wind, Biomass and Hydropower by Dan Chiras you will find the most practical and affordable methods to significantly improve your homes energy efficiency. Focusing on the latest technological advances (and never losing sight of the economic bottom line), this comprehensive manual demystifies: Solar hot water and solar hot air systems Space heat: Passive and active solar retrofits and heat pumps Wood heat Passive Cooling Electricity from solar, wind and mirohydro. This well-illustrated and accessible guide is an essential resource for those wanting to enter the renewable energy field. Packed with practical tips and guidelines, it gives readers sufficient knowledge to hire and communicate effectively with contractors and is a must-read for anyone interested in saving money and achieving energy independence. If you are ready to save tens of thousands of dollars over the coming decades, this is one show you dont want to miss! In this segment of The Clean Energy View Radio Show, host, June Stoyer talks to Dan Chiras, who is a respected educator and the author of 29 books on residential renewable energy and green building. He has studied and worked with renewable energy and energy efficiency for over 30 years. Dan is the director of and lead instructor at The Evergreen Institutes Center for Renewable Energy and Green Building, where he teaches workshops on energy efficiency, solar electricity, solar hot water, small wind energy, green building, natural plasters, and natural building. Today’s show is brought to you by LiquidWeb.com.Listeners of today’s show will receive $100 credit towards Storm Servers (VPS & Dedicated hosting) or can get one free month of shared hosting by using the coupon code: “orgview”.
the revolution of the mind continues..
we MadMen are here to help you find, take back, and keep your righteous mind.
And it begins with how we relate to each other. It has come to our attention that we have been sorely lacking in addressing the solution of every problem we have in regards to unity.. How we love each other.
We begin by taking a look and tearing apart at what we have been taught, or an idea that caused a clamor in the consciousness of men and women. Starting with the ideas from the 80's book "The Blackman's Guide to Understanding The Black Woman".
If you are an insecure Black man still looking for an unrealistic fantasy in controlling women - this show ain't for you.
Tuesday at 10pm. Only on WYMS Radio. Won't be home? no problem. text "WYMS" to 76000 and get the listen in number sent directly to your phone 5 minutes to show time.
Romans 13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now [it is] high time to awake out of sleep: for now [is] our salvation nearer than when we believed.
We air programs on Blog Talk Radio at the following times: Sun 2:00pm, Mon 8:00pm, Tue 8:00pm, Wed 7:00pm, Thur 8:00pm, Fri 7:00pm & Sat 9:00am. All times are Eastern Standard Time.
Dee Nash joins us to talk about her latest book: The 20-30 Something Garden Guide.
"Urban farming is the hot new movement sweeping the country: growing food closer to where we live, whether it’s on a condo deck, in a backyard or in a community garden. The 20/30-Something Garden Guide gives that busy, mostly urban, cohort a fun, non-intimidating introduction to the basics of gardening. These are the folks who want to know where their food comes from, and they’re hip to the importance of good health and the environment. They may not have a lot of free time or change in their pockets, but if they could find a no-fuss Gardening 101 that spoke their language and gave achievable goals, they’d go for it. This is that book: high graphic appeal, fully illustrated, step-by-step projects and essential tips. Garden expert Dee Nash divides her book into four types and sizes of gardens, starting with “Farming Your Patio, Balcony or Deck,” and giving incremental goals for the first year, and the second and third. With this guide as a basic roadmap, new gardeners can be as creative and out-of-the-box as they want. It's theirs to enjoy."
Purchase The Book - Amazon
Dee's Blog - Red Dirt Rambling
Dee Nash is a writer, speaker and garden coach, born and raised in Oklahoma. She lives with her husband, children, three dogs, a cat and twenty chickens on 7.5 acres between the Great American Prairie and the beginning of the deciduous forest.
Ken Solin has been writing about boomer sex, dating, and relationships for The Huffington Post, AARP, About.com and other sites for 10 years. On January 1st, his new boomer dating book will be published, The Boomer Guide to Finding True Love Online. It's based on Ken's vast dating experience and the experiences of tens of thousands of readers who comment on his articles. He counsels men all over the country via Skype about relationships, sexuality, anger, and other topics men struggle with. Join us for an exciting discussion about how sex changes after 50, and how men can maintain a youthful sexual performance level.
It was a dark and stormy night...calories lurked in every corner. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door!
Today Margo of Nacho Mama's Blog shares her top 6 tips for surviving Halloween with your waistline and your health goals intact! EPISODE GUIDE HERE: http://www.nachomamasblog.com/2014/10/new-podcast-ep62-halloween-survival.html
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/user/mediamonarkey
Featuring Weight Watchers FAQ & more!
FOLLOW BOOK VS MOVIE ON BTR: https://www.blogtalkradio.com/bookvsmovie
Disclosure: All opinions, content, views and ideas expressed on Nacho Mama's Podcast are strictly my own and those of my guests and are presented for entertainment and informational purposes only. It is strongly advised that you consult professional guidance when considering anything discussed on Nacho Mama's Blog or Nacho Mama's Podcast. I am also not affiliated with Weight Watchers-just a regular, paying customer, folks. ALL PODCAST CONTENT Blogtalkradio.com/NachoMamasPodcast is © Nacho Mama and nachomamasblog.com, 2009-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of podcast content without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Good morning! Happy First Day of Spring!
On today's broadcast:
Alcohol Abuse, Consequences, and Relationships (for someone I care about); Epic Ode To Marriage Equality, by Inaugural Poet Richard Blanco "Until We Could"; "I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane!"(New York, New York--- a HELLUVA town; DeBlasio's "Focus on Equality measures, even in death; Mary Cheney declares Equality is impossible without GOP support; Andrew W., and so much more!
JOIN US! Be sure to call in at : (760) 283-5125!!!
That's Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 11:30AM (ET)/8:30 (PT)! on Equality Updates with Marcinho Savant ! I find it baffling that human beings are unable, and unwilling, to remember to love one another, and to "do unto others, as we would have them do unto us", in today's world. and, as usual, we welcome your calls, thoughts, and opinions! Remember: Be sure to call in at : (760) 283-5125!!!
Join us! That's today, 9/2114, at 11:30AM (ET)/8:30 (PT)! Exclusively on#blogtalkradio!
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed by the guests on this broadcast are theirs alone, and do not, necessarily, reflect those of the Equality Updates with Marcinho Savantbroadcast, its host, staff, sponsors or any other person or party, directly, or peripherally, involved with this program.
in Self Help
Victoria Reynolds is a Personal Worth Expert and Equitable Strategist.
Award winning speaker and best-selling author Victoria Reynolds shares with audiences her powerful story of overcoming adversity. She was born into a Polygamist cult in the mountains of Montana where she was physically, sexually, emotionally and spiritually abused. At the age of seventeen she faced the choice of committing suicide or finding a way out of the life she had been taught was her destiny.
Fate intervened and she started a new life in a world she had been taught her entire life to fear. Victoria now teaches other women how to own their true value, get past the past and see the value in their past experiences.
September is National Alcohol & Drug Addiction Recovery Month. Join us as Mental Health Therapist Robyn Hill talks to us about Drug and Alcohol Addiction from a professional point of view. Robyn is the Owner/Therapist at Robyn C. Hill Counseling and Professional Development Services in Beachwood Ohio and Executive Director at Virtue Inc. for Women
Robyn is an awesome resource for women who need empowerment, inspiration, motivation and/or professional assistance.
If you have your own personal story of addiction and recovery I Am A Superwoman wants you to join us to share your experience.
Please join us! http://www.blogtalkradio.com/iamasuperwoman2 Call in: 845.277.9243
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (118 chatters)
- Bigfoot Hotspot (89 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (70 chatters)
- John Baptist (53 chatters)
- thelordshour (17 chatters)
- Star Nations Radio Network (13 chatters)
- The Psychic Viewpoint (13 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (12 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (12 chatters)
- Lets talkXXXGod is not Religious (11 chatters)
- Dr Pat Holliday (9 chatters)
- Candelos Corner Radio (9 chatters)
- 63489 (9 chatters)
- AngelsTeachRadio (9 chatters)
- Bill Murray (8 chatters)
- InfiniteSupernaturalNetwork (8 chatters)
- Angel Amy (7 chatters)
- fireengineeringtalkradio (6 chatters)
- Living Well Talk Radio (6 chatters)
- Rabbi Aryel Nachman (6 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (6 chatters)
- thedean (6 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (6 chatters)
- Wake Up To The Truth (5 chatters)
- real talk for real people0 (5 chatters)
- Mega Powers Radio (5 chatters)
- LindaCrystal (5 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (5 chatters)
- FSF Radio (5 chatters)
- Station IWDM (4 chatters)
- Matt4America (3 chatters)
- The Rush UTEP Miners Radio (3 chatters)
- The Sensuous Mystic Sex Spirit (3 chatters)
- Sister thunder Radio (3 chatters)
- Prayer Warriors 365 (3 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (3 chatters)
- dburt aka Afronerd (3 chatters)
- WHEELZ UP RADIO (3 chatters)
- Dirtyredz (2 chatters)
- Chick Shyt (2 chatters)
- Cage Side Submissions (2 chatters)
- 64667 (2 chatters)
- AmericanPatriotRadio (2 chatters)
- Bare It All (2 chatters)
- Barry Secrest (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (2 chatters)
- Body of Christ (2 chatters)
- Dominick Calvitto (2 chatters)
- Elegeant (2 chatters)
- Levitating Mindsets Network (2 chatters)
- OUR Talk Radio Show (2 chatters)
- Social Geek Radio (2 chatters)
- Spoken Ink (2 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (2 chatters)
- Suzanne Toro (2 chatters)
- The Literary Corner (2 chatters)
- Steves segments (1 chatters)
- The Trackside Experience (1 chatters)
- The ANSWERS Show (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- The Hilltop Radio Show (1 chatters)
- LL Sports 2 with TJ and TIFF (1 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (1 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (1 chatters)
- Really Doe Radio (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- EMONSTA (1 chatters)
- EquallyNOT (1 chatters)
- Fantasy Sports Warehouse Radio (1 chatters)
- EIE Save Our Children (1 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (1 chatters)
- Get It Together Girl (1 chatters)
- Attention Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- 2TheNcreaseofKnowledgeTruth (1 chatters)
- Bnai Tikvah (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Dolphin Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- TWR Radio (1 chatters)
- Life with The Real LadyZee (0 chatters)