SORT BY Relevancy
Guidance on Environmental Monitoring and Control of Listeria for the Fresh Produce Industry with Elis Owens, Ph.D.
Elis is active in developing Birko’s antimicrobial product line and attendant delivery systems.
He oversees field trials at customer plants, works with university research partners and outside labs
and acts as a government liaison for antimicrobial approvals.
Elis earned his Ph.D. from the University of Wales in Cardiff.
He conducted post-doctoral research at Michigan State University’s Center for Microbial Ecology.
He has published papers in Federation of European Microbiological Societies (FEMS) Microbiology Ecology
and FEMS Microbiology Letters. Elis has been a presenter at the Produce Marketing Association,
the Beef Industry Food Safety Council (BIFSCo) and the North American Meat Association.
He is a member of the International Association for Food Protection (IAFP), Master Brewers Association of the Americas (MBAA),
American Oil Chemists’ Society (AOCS) and the American Society of Brewing Chemists (ASBC).
Guidance on Environmental Monitoring and Control of Listeria for the Fresh Produce Industry United Fresh Produce Association
2. What is listeria?
3. How can we minimize microbial food safety hazards of fresh cut fruits and vegetables?
4. What are some listeria control measures relevant to fresh produce?
5. How do you kill listeria and control its growth?
Elis Owens, Ph.D.
Director of Business Development and Food Safety for Produce
Salmonella, E. coli, listeria, yeast and mold, FFA/POV, aflatoxin in almonds and walnuts production with Pamela Sweeten, P. Sweeten Consulting. She is the owner of P. Sweeten Consulting, since 2006 to present, Greater San Joaquin Valley, CA. Pamela worked with Ryan-Parriera Almond Company, from 1992 to 2005, Los Banos, CA. Experience: • Experienced professional with skills in sales and marketing services to potential clients • Proven ability to manage key account relationships and large-scale projects • Experience presenting to senior management • Representing senior management in discussions with clients • Product training and assisting clients in set up of recordkeeping • Deep understanding and effective management of product price fluctuation; knowledge and application of computers for increased productivity; and great planning skills with extraordinary goal setting ability, as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Education: California State University Stanislaus.
Agenda: 1. Intoduction. 2. What are the bacterial contamination issues for almond and walnut producers? 3. Which human pathogens are of interest: Salmonella, E. coli, Listeria? 4. Is yeast and mold a challenge? 5. What is Free Fatty Acid (FFA) in nut products? 6. What is Peroxide Value (POV) or rancidity? 7. What are the current methods to screen products for these issues? 8. Are there government standards? 9. New methods on the horizon. 10. Conclusion.
Contact: Pamela Sweeten P. Sweeten Consulting 209-606-1418 www.trackmycrop.com Twitter - @trackmycrop Facebook – P. Sweeten Consulting Pamela@trackmycrop.com
Live Broadcast of Part 2 Week #3.5 May 2014 in Review. We talk about several eye-opening issues such as: FRANKEN FOODS, FRANKENSTEIN FEATS, HUMANIMALS,HUMACHINES, CYBORGS, ROBOTS, IMPLANTS, BRAIN CHIPS, BIG BROTHER, ROAD RAGE, ROAD WRECKS, ROAD POLLUTION, PESTILENCES, DISEASES, COSMICS SIGNS and more, on this exciting week ending updating episode! JOIN IN ON THE LIVE BROADCAST!...
On this Live Sunday Evening Broadcast, we talk about several eye-opening issues such as FRANKEN FOODS like GMO's; Toxic Dogfood Treats; Hepatitis Hamburgers; Listeria-infected Walnuts; Paul Ehrlichs SOLENT GREEN SOLUTION; and also FRANKEN FEATS such as the ERA OF CHIMERAS with Lab-made HUMANIMAL HYBRIDS. Then we tackle even more HUMACHINE STORIES from the TWOFOLD MOVEMENTS OF CYBORGS & ROBOTS with the STORIES OF THE WEEK being "The Proposed Magna Cortica" future bill of rights for Artificial Lifeforms; and the NEW RICE-SIZED BRAIN IMPLANTS POWERED W/O BATTERIES! More updates on European DRIVERLESS CARS and the PUSH TO REPLACE HUMANS W/ ROBOTS IN WAREHOUSE & FAST FOOD JOBS! Also new Tech Start-up called Place-A-Vote wants to REPLACE ALL OF POLITICAL CONGRESS MEMBERS W/ COMPUTER SOFTWARE SYSTEM instead! Are these signs that THE ROBOTS ARE RISING UP TO TAKE OVER, as many writers & movie makers have predicted? Then we talk about more BIG BROTHER TECH updates. We also discuss several ROAD RAGE & ROAD WRECK prophecies coming to pass this week! We also give many updates on RISING PESTILENCES & NEW INCURABLE DISEASES! We hope to bring the latest updates on COSMIC SIGNS in the Sun, Moon, and Stars; as well as, a Host of other prophetic topics, on this exciting episode!.. DONT MISS THIS LIVE BROADCAST! CALL IN AT ANY TIME DURING THE SHOW! ALSO CATCH ENCORE EPISODE OF THIS SHOW LATER THIS COMING WEEK.. Join in and enjoy the show!...
Government Censorship of Organic Food Benefits with Mischa Popoff, B.A. (Hons.) Univ. of Sasketchewan.
Mischa Popoff is a former organic farmer and USDA-contract organic inspector.
Bachelor of Arts from the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon
Author of “History of nitrogen for warfare and fertilizer”
Author of “Is it Organic? The inside story of the organic industry”--Some people won't like this book, but you will.
Policy Advisor for The Heartland Institute.
Research Associate for The Frontier Centre for Public Policy
He exposes the practice of the lack of field testing in the global organic industry and how it may have contributed to foodborne bacterial outbreaks.
He has contributed to many outbreak investigations, including listeria, E. coli and salmonella, in organic food.
2. What is organic marketing labeling?
3. What types of testing protocols prove organic labels?
a. Chemical testing
b. Biological testing
c. Process documentation
4. Government censorship of analysis of organic labeling.
5. Testing Analysis efforts of Organic food products.
Greenville TX US
For public speaking engagements or consultations, please contact the National Speakers Bureau
Sawa Matsumura, 1-800-661-4110 ext. 311, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wilson interviews Joel Salatin from the movies Food, Inc., Farmageddon, and more.
"I had arranged a long time in advance to actually get to speak with Joel Salatin himself. From that time together, we bring you this great interview. I always thought that Joel was inspirational and pretty cool from the books and Youtube videos, but I have to admit that he is even cooler and more inspiring in person. Relax and take a listen to this great interview with one my personal heros, Joel Salatin.
We talk about:
Joel loves what he does, and likes to share the kind of things that they have learned over the years in farming
Polyface Farm mission statement: “We develop environmentally, emotionally and economically enhancing agricultural prototypes and to facilitate their reproduction around the world.”
Things that I did NOT see at Polyface Farms
Plants an animals are biological not mechanical
Need for disturbance in the progress cycle
E. Coli, Salmonella, Listeria, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, Campylobacter, MRSA, C. Diph, food allergies—all this is part of Nature saying, “Enough!”
Churches turning lawn into farm land
Leveraging portability, profitability and fertility on the small scale homestead (stacking functions—Permaculture)"
Read Wilson's blog post Day at Polyface Farm
Visit Preparedness Radio Network
Environmental Risk Concerns: The Dangers of Pallets with Karl Kolb, PhD., Chief Science Officer of the High Sierra Group.
Karl Kolb, PhD., Chief Science Officer of the High Sierra Group which provides nation’s largest purveyor of food safety products and services.
Agenda: 1. Introduction. 2. What are pallets used for in food production? 3. What materials are used in their construction? 4. Environmental risk analysis concerns. 5. Listeria and pathogenic transmission characteristics of pallets. 6. Floors, pallets and trucks as transmission vehicles. 7. How do pathogens prosper on pallets? 8. How do pallets transfer bacteria? 9. How long can bacteria survive on pallets? 10. Why is a 3rd party important? 11. What are the concerns for organic production and agricultural sites? 12. Why is testing difficult for the average facility? 13. What can be done to eradicate the problem at the time of receipt? 14. Conclusion.
Contact: Karl Kolb PhD. Chief, Science Officer The High Sierra Group 715.723.4915 (office) 715.723.4956 (fax) 702.523.2068 (cell) http://highsierracorp.com/ email@example.com
Listen to AME Food Testing Show podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ames-food-testing-show-blog/id447337326 http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ame-foodtestingshow.rss
United States USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) Verification Testing Program of Beef Trimmings for E. coli O157:H7 with Jim Byron, CEO, Xgenex LLC.
Jim Byron graduated from Boston College with a Bachelors degree in Business Administration. His career of over 30 years progressed from water treatment and industrial chemicals sales management to biotechnology, food testing systems and food testing laboratories. In addition to several patent applications in process, Jim has authored several articles for Food Safety Magazine, including articles on Listeria Testing and STEC Testing.
In 2012 Xgenex was formed by a group of biotech executives, food industry insiders and investors appointing Jim Byron as CEO. Xgenex executives have strong relationships and networks with owners, executives, regulators and decision makers in the food industry. This network includes academicians and leading consulting organizations. Xgenex is focused on bringing New Technology and Innovative New Scientific Discoveries to the food industry to advance outdated routines, enhancing results and improving financial performance of food manufacturers and companies working in the food industry.
2. What is E. coli O157:H7?
3. Why is it important to screen beef prior to shipment?
4. What is the current technology and process?
5. What is the FSIS?
6. How does the FSIS test beef?
7. What are the challenges?
8. How can the program be improved?
9. Xgenex other products and projects.
A Primer on Molecular epidemiology with Stephen J. Knabel, Ph.D., Professor of Food Science, College of Agricultural Sciences, Penn State University.
Iowa State University, Microbiology and Food Technology, Ph.D., 1989, M.S., 1986, B.S., 1973.
Dr. Knabel's studies: Detection, tracking and control of foodborne pathogens: Listeria monocytogenes, E. coli O157:H7, Salmonella and Campylobacter. Development of novel methods for the recovery of injured foodborne pathogens and detection by conventional and molecular methods. Contamination of raw animal foods by gram-negative foodborne pathogens and destruction by high pH. Understanding and enhancing the mechanisms of action of foodgrade microbial inhibitors. Metal ion interactions with spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms. Role of heat shock proteins in induced thermotolerance. Research on the long-term-survival phase of Listeria monocytogenes and its effect on changes in barotolerance, thermotolerance and cellular morphology.
2. What is a bacterial pathogen?
3. Which technologies have been employed to detect them?
4. What is molecular epidemiology and how is it different than detection?
5. What is the goal of molecular epidemiology?
6. How has molecular epidemiology evolved (from biochemical testing to DNA fingerprinting to DNA sequencing)?
7. Listeria discussion.
8. What recent advances have been made in your lab in the area of molecular epidemiology?
9. Overall conclusions and wrap-up.
Stephen J. Knabel, Ph.D.
Professor of Food Science
College of Agricultural Sciences
Penn State University
437 Food Science Building
University Park, PA 16802
*Stimulating political talk* American Ambassador to Libya killed by fundamentalist Muslims, Mitt Romney politicizes the tragedy, Where do we place the blame for this tragedy? Sarah Palin babbling on facebook about Obama, Rep. West of Florida blames Obama for killing of Ambassador, Romney talks down to Putin ~ leads to retaliation, Beck gets his own TV channel, New Economic Poliy Institute #'s, listeria outbreak from cheese, Rand Paul compares US Government to Nazi Germany & more!
Norovirus, a food borne pathogen? with Lee-Ann Jaykus, Ph.D., Professor, Food Science, North Carolina State University, Raliegh, North Carolina.
B.S. (1979) Purdue University
M.S. (1982) Purdue University
Ph.D. (1993) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Our research activities focus on application of molecular biological methods for the detection of pathogenic microorganisms in foods. Current research projects involve the development of nucleic acid amplification technology for the detection of human enteric viruses (human enteroviruses, hepatitis A virus, Norwalk virus) in shellfish, fresh produce, and ready-to-eat food commodities. Additional research opportunities exist for developing similar methods for the detection of Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella from dairy food products, with specific focuses on bacterial concentration and refining molecular methods to facilitate the real-time detection of foodborne pathogens. Our group is also actively involved in the application of quantitative risk assessment methods for the evaluation of public health risks of foodborne pathogens.
1. Dr. Jaykus' introduction.
2. What is a virus?
3. What is Norovirus?
4. Can Norovirus be a food borne pathogen?
5. What are the detection methodologies?
6. Can food producers screen prior to shipment?
7. Dr. Jaykus's research and projects.
Lee-Ann Jaykus, Ph.D.
Professor, Food Science
339-A Schaub Hall
Raleigh, NC 27695 USA
What an honor it is to bring you a podcast interview with Mr. Joel Salatin! I finally got to visit Polyface Farms in Swoope, VA. There was so much there that I wanted to see in person from all of the books I read and the videos of Polyface that I saw: the egg mobile, the mob stock grazing, the rabbit tractors, etc. I set the whole day aside for travel there and to do a self-guided tour of the farm which I cataloged in the blog: Day at Polyface Farm. I had arranged a long time in advance to actually get to speak with Joel Salatin himself. From that time together, we bring you this great interview. I always thought that Joel was inspirational and pretty cool from the books and Youtube videos, but I have to admit that he is even cooler and more inspiring in person. Relax and take a listen to this great interview with one my personal heros, Joel Salatin. We talk about: -Joel loves what he does, and likes to share the kind of things that they have learned over the years in farming -Polyface Farm mission statement: “We develop environmentally, emotionally and economically enhancing agricultural prototypes and to facilitate their reproduction around the world.” -Things that I did NOT see at Polyface Farms -Plants an animals are biological not mechanical -Need for disturbance in the progress cycle -E. Coli, Salmonella, Listeria, Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, Campylobacter, MRSA, C. Diph, food allergies—all this is part of Nature saying, “Enough!” -Redemptive Farming -Churches turning lawn into farm land -Leveraging portability, profitability and fertility on the small scale homestead (stacking functions—Permaculture)
Implementation of PCR Surveillance in Food Production with Dongyu Liu, DVM, Ph.D, former Assistant Research Professor, CVM Basic Science, Mississippi State University.
Dr. Liu has authored five (5) texts on Polymearse Chain Reaction as a detection methodology for human pathogens.
He has published twenty-five (25) articles in peer-reviewed journals on topics ranging from microbiology to PCR surveillance of food for human pathogens.
In his text, "Molecular Detection of Foodborne Pathogens," he has written, "One of the most effective ways to control and prevent human foodborne infections is to implement a pathogen surveillance system. Addressing the biology, epidemiology, and pathogenesis of more than 60 microorganisms, Molecular Detection of Foodborne Pathogens demonstrates how to implement a surveillance system that uses state-of-the-art molecular techniques to quickly detect and identify bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic pathogens concerned."
Of his text, "Molecular Detection of Human Bacterial Pathogens," he has written, "This book represents a reliable and convenient reference on molecular detection and identification of major human bacterial pathogens; an indispensable tool for upcoming and experienced medical, veterinary, and industrial laboratory scientists engaged in bacterial characterization; and an essential textbook for undergraduate and graduate students in microbiology."
2. Traditional microbiological methods for food testing.
3. Culture methods: time/sensitivity/specificity.
4. Polymerase Chain Reaction: time/sensitivity/specificity.
5. PCR's operational functionality in a food plant.
6. Recommendations to food producers regarding PCR surviellance.
Dongyu Liu, DVM, Ph.D.
Join Host Live Chats
- Phoenix3333 (103 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (64 chatters)
- Rundgren Radio (42 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (35 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (31 chatters)
- thelordshour (27 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (26 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (21 chatters)
- SasquatchWatch Radio (16 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (12 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (11 chatters)
- Odwirafo (11 chatters)
- Symmetry of Soul (10 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (9 chatters)
- Pit Bulletin Legal News (9 chatters)
- Dr DREAM and Laura Eisenhower (9 chatters)
- Life Conversations (8 chatters)
- Lets Talk Jets with Dennis Tyson (7 chatters)
- PRNRadioNetwork (7 chatters)
- Inspire Radio Network (7 chatters)
- CE Radio (7 chatters)
- Jamaican Language Culture York (6 chatters)
- Jay King Network (6 chatters)
- Dead End Sports (6 chatters)
- Pastor Andrew Bills (6 chatters)
- Random Brain Activity (6 chatters)
- SpeakingXOut (6 chatters)
- Twin Radio (6 chatters)
- wayneG (6 chatters)
- SUPER HOST (5 chatters)
- The Biblical Hebrew (5 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (5 chatters)
- Real Talk Radio17 (5 chatters)
- Psychic Melinda (5 chatters)
- Messages From Beyond (5 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (5 chatters)
- Lorries Talk News Radio (5 chatters)
- ExpandingU RADIO (4 chatters)
- gamechangersradio (4 chatters)
- Coach Khayr (4 chatters)
- Conservative Nation Radio (4 chatters)
- Bill Murray (4 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (4 chatters)
- The Psychic Surgeon (4 chatters)
- WE RESISTERS RADIO (3 chatters)
- Tinabrandon (3 chatters)
- The Watchman Is216 (3 chatters)
- TheInfiniteSupernaturalNetwork (3 chatters)
- Brighter Business Empower (3 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (3 chatters)
- InThePaint (3 chatters)
- G220 Radio (3 chatters)
- Game Centric Radio (3 chatters)
- EncouragingMomentsWithKeva (3 chatters)
- Prophecy Quake (3 chatters)
- RotoRadio (3 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (3 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (2 chatters)
- MUTHA WIT WISDOM (2 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (2 chatters)
- FuRbAbY AnD FrIeNdS (2 chatters)
- Lauren Tenney (2 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (2 chatters)
- Inner Child Radio (2 chatters)
- Innovative Black Men (2 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (2 chatters)
- BLACK SATIN RADIO LIVE (2 chatters)
- Art Bulla (2 chatters)
- TJMorrisETRadio (2 chatters)
- Winning America Back (2 chatters)
- Woman2WomanTalkingToMen (2 chatters)
- Zaiyahs House (2 chatters)
- The Real Time Radio Network (2 chatters)
- The Drop Night Show (2 chatters)
- The Road Less Traveled (2 chatters)
- The RetroUnlim Network (1 chatters)
- The Fourth Turn (1 chatters)
- The NTuned Show (1 chatters)
- The Candy Coated Network (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- Swaggercountdown (1 chatters)
- SportsTalkLine (1 chatters)
- TruthWorks Network (1 chatters)
- Blasturthoughts (1 chatters)
- 3 Degrees Talk Show (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- Catz1* (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Common Ground Media Group OK (1 chatters)
- HomeTeam (1 chatters)
- Enough Iz Enough (1 chatters)
- DONNELL BALLARD MORNING SHOW (1 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (1 chatters)
- Marjorie Cole (1 chatters)
- Married Men Dont Talk Show (1 chatters)
- patriots united (1 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (1 chatters)
- Shifting Times Radio (1 chatters)
- Sales Coaching Chalk Talk (1 chatters)
- ROAD2STARDOM RADIO (1 chatters)
- Rapture Ready Radio (1 chatters)