SORT BY Relevancy
The Forget-Me-Not Hour takes a trip outside the U.S. for tonight's show. Jane welcomes genealogist András Koltai from Hungary. Andras will talk about researching Hungarian Jewish ancestry, as well as other groups in Hungary.
For a decade now, András Koltai has been researching Hungarian ancestry for clients mainly from the USA and Israel. Though he focuses on Jewish genealogy, he has had a number of cases where the family researched was non-Jewish. Apart from doing the regular work genealogists do, he has also been the researcher for five episodes of the tv-series "Who Do You Think You Are?"; in some of these episodes he was on screen, too.
There are a lot of words the Bible uses that people today have no idea what they mean. Try this experiment: ask ten non-Christian friends what the word "gospel" means. Tell them, "I don't mean the music; I mean the message the the music celebrates. What's the message?" Changes are, they won't be able to tell you. But some words, everyone seems to know what they mean. Take the word "scapegoat" for example. Yet most people don't know the origin of the word. It's a Jewish concept, and it was first used to mean a literal goat that was executed in place of guilty people. Tonight we'll talk about its origins, on "Jewish Roots", an Internet pod-cast live talk radio show. Your host, Rev. Rick Anderson, each Thursday night 9:30 pm, EST. To call with a question or comment: 347-324-5759.
Bernice Bennett welcomes Judy Riffel, a professional genealogist for an engaging discussion about what you need to know about records and documents in Louisiana.
Judy has authored numerous books and articles on genealogy, and she is an officer in one of the largest genealogical groups in the state, Le Comité des Archives de la Louisiane, and editor of its quarterly journal.
She also offers Louisiana Genealogy Research Services: www.judyriffel.com
Jeremy Pinsely is a good southern boy. Born in Tennessee and went to college in Georgia. He loves football and BBQ. All that's standard. Here's where it gets interesting........he's Jewish. Which led to some interesting exchanges from his friends growing up. He tells all to James, Benjy, and Supertramp (Aaron).
Follow @thebestofbs @jameslmattern @imaaronfriedman @JerBearPinsly and @standupnylabs.
Use promo code LUST at www.StandUpNY.com for 2-for-1 tickets to Stand Up NY.
Visit www.StandUpNYLabs.com to listen to all our other great podcasts.
Today the manager of the ProGen Study Groups, Angela Packer McGhie, joins Jane to talk about the groups and the book on which the study groups are based: Professional Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and Librarians. Angela will discuss how how the study groups work and how they can help you in your careers as genealogists -- professional genealogists and aspiring professional genealogists alike. Find out what topics participants really appreciate learning about and what topics are the most challenging to cover.
Order the book Professional Genealogy at www.heritagebooks.com. If you are a member of The Association of Professional Genealogists, you can get a 15% discount by using the coupon code available on the members only section of www.apgen.org.
Photos: ProGen Study Group Alumni at Salt Lake Institue of Genealogy (SLIG) 2014.
A study of the work by Arnold S Leese titled 'My Irrelevant Defence: being Meditations Inside Gaol and Out on Jewish Ritual Murder' (1938)
About Arnold Leese
March of the Titan's Chapter IV: Racial strains from outside Europe
Join participants of the professiolnal genealogy class of the Midwest African American Institute for an engaging and informative discussion on " Why Genealogy" with Matilda and her children.
"The Genealogy as a Profession class at MAAGI 2014 created WHY GENEALOGY? centered around a slave named Matilda asking her descendants why they were or were not trying to find their family. Sarah Cato is the producer and host. Cast members: Konnetta Alexander is the slave named Matilda from the Graham Slave Records. Myra DeShields-Moulton tells about her research findings and the family books she’s written. Camile Camille Genealogy Sista Johnson representing the X-generation’s interest or lack of interest. Flavia Frierson asks why should she research that old stuff. Roland Miller shares the migration path of ex-slaves. Audrie McRay tells why she researches her family and makes family scrapbooks.
Join Bonnie & Ja'Vonne with their guest, Tony Burroughs, CEO of The Center for Black Genealogy, noted speaker and author. Together they will look at how to research your family history and how to travel with a purpose as you research your own Family Tree. Also keep up on Travel News, Travel Tips, and all the features of this top weekly Travel Show. Heard nationwide on Sirius/XM #141 and WVON-Chicago and iHeartRadio.com. www.TheTavelingEye.com . #TheTravelingEye
Don Eckerle of the German Genealogy Group (GGG) and John Martino of the Italian Genealogy Group (IGG) join Jane this morning to talk about the mammoth indexing projects their groups took on when they decided to tackle Long Island records and then New York City vital records and then NARA NYC records and then some more. Don and John will discuss what records they have done, what records they intend to do, and what the differences in their groups' databases are. They will also tell us how they manage their indexing projects with more than 2,000 volunteers. They'll also share interesting stories from their indexing and tell us about unusual records or people that they came across in the records.
In May 2014 Don, John and their GGG partner Bob Boeckle received the National Genealogical Society's Award of Merit in recognition of exceptional contributions to the field of genealogy.
John and Don are pictured with the other New York attendees at the NGS conference in Richmond, Virginia. They are all members and volunteers for the GGG and IGG indexing projects.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (498 chatters)
- T J Sotomayor (125 chatters)
- KNOW THE LEDGE RADIO (36 chatters)
- wheresobamasbirthcertificateXcom (32 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (24 chatters)
- Curious Times (24 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (23 chatters)
- Ms Blue (20 chatters)
- Israelite Heritage (19 chatters)
- thelordshour (19 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (15 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (13 chatters)
- SUPER HOST (13 chatters)
- MIKE MILLZ RADIO (11 chatters)
- Eric Balkman (10 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (9 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (8 chatters)
- Underground Professor Radio (8 chatters)
- THE WOODGRAIN SHOW (7 chatters)
- SURN Host (7 chatters)
- OPWR (7 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (6 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (5 chatters)
- Forward Boldly (5 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (5 chatters)
- TruthWorks Network (5 chatters)
- The Watchman Is216 (4 chatters)
- TJMorrisMedia (4 chatters)
- The Psychic Surgeon (4 chatters)
- Danny Mendez (4 chatters)
- ParanormalReview (4 chatters)
- Levitating Mindsets Network (4 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio (3 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (3 chatters)
- AmericanPatriotRadio (3 chatters)
- Andrew Aloha (2 chatters)
- Apostle Antonia (2 chatters)
- Beyond the Airwaves TIP (2 chatters)
- OUR Talk Radio Show (2 chatters)
- The Random Frequency Network (2 chatters)
- The Hilltop Radio Show (1 chatters)
- The Paranormal and The Sacred (1 chatters)
- The Plus Effect of BPC (1 chatters)
- The Prime Directive (1 chatters)
- Unseen World (1 chatters)
- SportsTime Radio (1 chatters)
- Steves segments (1 chatters)
- KBLU RadioNetwork (1 chatters)
- JackNewtown (1 chatters)
- Harold Sutton (1 chatters)
- I AM A SUPERWOMAN RADIO (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- EPiphany The 4REALRADIONETWORK (1 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (1 chatters)