SORT BY Relevancy
Our Host, Jaclyn Roessel was born and raised on the Navajo Nation and serves as treasurer on the Board of Director with Whisper n Thunder. Our guests are Dr. Laura Tohe who is an Associate Professor of English at Arizona State University as well as an accomplished poet, writer, and librettist. Her 1999 book, No Parole Today was awarded Poetry Book of the Year by the Word craft Circle of Native American Writers and Storytellers. Dr. Tohe will read a select number of poems from her book which share her boarding school experience.
Adrienne Keene will be discussing her dissertation research regarding how cultural identity impacts the academic achievement of American Indian students while pursuing higher education. Cherokee, Keene is most well-known for the being the founder of the blog Native Appropriations which discusses the impact of the representations of Native peoples, including stereotypes, cultural appropriation, news, activism, and more.
Russ Letica, Board Member and Co-Chair of the WnT Radio Committee, and Natalie Brown, WhispernThunder Board Secretary, will host this informative and educational program about the imporrant topic of HIV/AIDS in Indian Country. This program on HIV/AIDS will express opinions concerning the stigma, the level of stigma and reasons for stigma. WnT will present accurate facts concerning the severity of this disease in our communities as they are today. National Nativ
Join Host Rebecca Balog, Vice President of Whisper n Thunder in an open dialogue on Domestic Violence in Indian Country.
Domestic violence, is a pattern of behavior which involves the abuse by one person against another .
The abuse is not limited to obvious physical violence, nor is it limited to just women being abused, men are victims too. Domestic violence can also mean endangerment, criminal coercion, kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, trespassing, harassment, and stalking etc.
“It takes a village to end domestic violence, not the simple strength of one person behind closed doors. In saying that bold statement, we ALL should acknowledge the independent bravery one faces when surviving abuse. That said, we ALL are responsible for ending violence in our communities. If you saw your neighbor’s house on fire you would help, and when an individual’s world is burning down around them in a domestic assault - it’s the same reality. “ ~ Rebecca Balog
WnT Board Member and Vice President Rebecca Balog will join President Billie Fidlin to discuss domestic violence and sexual assault & recovery in Indian Country.
APRIL IS SEXUAL ASSAULT AWARENESS MONTH
It is estimated that 1 of every 6 women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime, according to the Rape Abuse Incest National Network (RAINN). This number is about 1 in 33 for American men. Approximately 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12. Domestic violence is the leading cause of injuries to women age fifteen to forty-four, more common than auto accidents, mugging, and cancer combined.
All Americans can play a role in changing the culture that enables sexual violence. Each of us can take action by lifting up survivors we know and breaking the silence surrounding rape and sexual assault. Together, our Nation is moving forward in the fight against sexual assault. This month, let us keep working to prevent violence in every corner of America, and let us rededicate ourselves to giving survivors the bright future they deserve.
Join WnT Radio for another informational show, this week the topic is "Strong Women of Indian Country" with hosts Billie Fidlin, WnT Chair and Founder, who will be joined by Brenda Golden, WnT Board member and WnT Radio Chair, Jaclyn Roessel, first Winds Scholar and WnT Board Member, and Yvonne Swan, advocate and WnT Ambassador.
These stories of strong indian women will inspire others to have courage, drive, ambition, and pride. Philip Deere Sr. said, "Women are the backbone of our traditions."
The discussion will encompass the strength of women in Indian Country , looking at the historical role of women and touch on the history of some of the well-known names such as Zitkal Sa, Lozen and Wilma Mankiller.
With focus on women, what role do women play in today’s society, both on the reservation and in the urban settings. Women as leaders today within the native communities, has their role changed?
Join Host Live Chats
- Radio Jihad Network (18 chatters)
- KAS1 (13 chatters)
- BeverlyD (9 chatters)
- eWrestling Radio (8 chatters)
- Omega Man (7 chatters)
- TruthRadioNetwork (7 chatters)
- PwtorchEastCoastCast (5 chatters)
- Patriot Family (5 chatters)
- Jennifer Hough (5 chatters)
- Ask Lordiel (5 chatters)
- NatureofReality (4 chatters)
- Paul Lawrence Vann (4 chatters)
- SpookHunters Radio (4 chatters)
- TalkNAngels (4 chatters)
- Salvation In Jesus Ministry (3 chatters)
- The Rainbow Bridge (3 chatters)
- Starz Psychics Network (3 chatters)
- MyViewMatters (3 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (3 chatters)
- dburt aka Afronerd (3 chatters)
- dtm wicked (3 chatters)
- MKSPCG (2 chatters)
- LA Batchelor (2 chatters)
- Living Well Talk Radio (2 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (2 chatters)
- Spoken Ink (2 chatters)
- The Creating Calm Network 3 (2 chatters)
- The Christian View (2 chatters)
- THE CONFLICTS OF LIFE (1 chatters)
- SarahandSophia (1 chatters)
- The Voice of Leadership (1 chatters)
- thehappydog (1 chatters)
- Survival Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Take 2 Radio (1 chatters)
- Tribulation News (1 chatters)
- USA Emergency Broadcasting Network (1 chatters)
- WithInsightsRadio (1 chatters)
- Men Lets Talk (1 chatters)
- FD2B Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- HHIII and LeeCrowe (1 chatters)
- Inner Child Radio (1 chatters)
- JASmius (1 chatters)
- New Beginning Outreach M I (1 chatters)
- prophetrodney (1 chatters)
- pamelamarieedmunds (1 chatters)
- Dariaanne (1 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (1 chatters)
- Dr Roger Conley (1 chatters)
- Broad Street Line (1 chatters)
- BusProRadio (1 chatters)
- Average Intelligence (1 chatters)
- Barry Secrest (1 chatters)
- AgingYounger (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio1 (1 chatters)
- Angels Guides and Holly (1 chatters)
- AngelsTeachRadio (1 chatters)
- At The Kitchen Table0 (0 chatters)
- Center Lane Show (0 chatters)