SORT BY Relevancy
We're talking about race, class, and education. On Friday, the Washington Post published a piece by my community discussion partner, Dr. Natalie Hopkinson, entitled "Organic Chemistry: Two Tracks of Schooling Raise Questions About Class, Race and Community." This episode of Know-It-All continues the conversation.
My guest, Dr. Paul C. Gorski, is a professor of education and founder of the undergraduate Social Justice program at George Mason University. He is also the founder of EdChange, a non-profit organization that helps celebrate diversity and promote educational equity. Dr. Gorski will talk to us about the danger of the myth that all poor people are of one culture and thus hold the same values.
Know-It-All Host Allison R. Brown is a civil rights attorney and owner of Allison Brown Consulting (ABC), providing educational equity plans for schools and helping non-profit organizations to promote educational equity.
Paul is a social justice activist and educator, founder of EdChange, and assoc. prof. of Integrative Studies [social justice concentration] at George Mason University in Washington, D.C.
Recent work includes: Cultivating Social Justice Teachers: How Teacher Educators Have Helped Students Overcome Cognitive Bottlenecks and Learn Critical Social Justice
Paul will deliver a keynote address at WPC 14 in Seattle, WA in April 2013.
For more information about Paul and his work: http://paulgorski.efoliomn.com/WebSites
This interview will centered around Paul's keynote at WPC 14 in Seattle WA on Thursday, April 11, 2013:
"Consumerism as Racial Injustice: The MACRO-Aggressions that Make Me, and Maybe You, a Hypocrite"
When Paul started to take stock of his own behaviors and how they might contribute, even if indirectly, to racial injustice, the only conclusion he could come to was this: he is a hypocrite, especially when it comes to consumerist behaviors. In this presentation Paul will talk about consumerism as a series of MACRO-aggressions that feed racial and economic injustice in which nearly all of us, in one way or another, are complicit.
Gorski is the founder of EdChange. He also is an Associate Professor of Integrative Studies at George Mason University, where he recently co-designed a new undergraduate program and minor in Social Justice and Human Rights. He is passionate about the intersectionality of all forms of exploitation and liberation, and particularly enjoys working with schools, colleges, and universities that are committed to becoming more equitable and just. He lives in Virginia with his cats, Unity and Buster.
ITYC is excited to welcome Founder, EdChange, and Assistant Professor, Integrative Studies, George Mason University, Paul Gorski to the show for the final interview in our Black History Month series.
We'll talk to Professor Gorski about the current state of education in the United States and how teachers and educators can play a role in creating the next generation of white antiracists and allies.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (490 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (36 chatters)
- thelordshour (26 chatters)
- sherrytalkradio (24 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (22 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (19 chatters)
- Curious Times (19 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (12 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (12 chatters)
- SUPER HOST (11 chatters)
- Coach Khayr (9 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (8 chatters)
- Vinny Bond (7 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (6 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (5 chatters)
- WE RESISTERS RADIO (5 chatters)
- WBAR NYC (3 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (3 chatters)
- Pro MMA Now Radio (3 chatters)
- Levitating Mindsets Network (3 chatters)
- TJ Morris ET Radio Show (3 chatters)
- Jay King Network (3 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (3 chatters)
- DavetheMystic (3 chatters)
- Beyond the Airwaves TIP (2 chatters)
- FoReRadio (2 chatters)
- IU Radio LIVE Politico Talk (2 chatters)
- Top Star Hip Hop Radio (2 chatters)
- Universal Radio (2 chatters)
- teamgrindhard (2 chatters)
- mrmakeithappen (2 chatters)
- Quagmire America (2 chatters)
- Real Relevant and Raw Radio (2 chatters)
- Vibration Radio (2 chatters)
- Xpoze Radio (2 chatters)
- OUR Talk Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Men Lets Talk (1 chatters)
- The Coffee Club (1 chatters)
- SURN Host (1 chatters)
- Just Us Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Blasturthoughts (1 chatters)
- Cardboard Connection Radio (1 chatters)
- carsonscorner (1 chatters)
- DON JR CEO (1 chatters)