Email us for help
Before there was Sesame Street or Sesame Place, there was Coney Island, “Granville’s Island”!
Granville T. Woods Known as the “Black Thomas Edison” was an engineer who invented and patented the electric roller coaster, which he introduced in the summer of 1909 at Coney Island.
He developed dozens of innovative mass transit improvements.
Join David Head
Edison sued Woods charging that he (Edison) was the first to invent the multiplex telegraph. After a costly court battle, Woods won the case. But even after losing to Woods, Edison remained so impressed with him that he offered the Black genius a partnership in one of his companies
Woods was inducted into the Coney Island Hall of Fame, and an adjacent street was renamed Granville T. Woods Way.Woods was inducted into the Coney Island Hall of Fame, and an adjacent street was renamed Granville T. Woods Way.
List of BLACK RESORTS
1. Highland Beach, Maryland
2. Gulfside Assembly, Waveland, Mississippi
3. American Beach, Florida
4. Oak Bluffs, Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts
5. Idlewild, Michigan
6. Freeman Beach, Wilmington, North Carolina
7. Sag Harbor, New York
8. Bruce’s Beach, near Los Angeles, California
9. Buckroe Beach, Bay Shore and Mark Haven, Virginia
10. Gullah Sea Islands, Coast of Georgia and South Carolina
The Idlewild Club House, Idlewild, Mich., September 1938.