Free Premium Trial
Email us for help
Create your own
Start your show
Free Premium Trial
Your show will resume after this message
Loading audio for smooth playback...
The episode audio is being processed and will be ready shortly.
have changed. We think you'll like them better this way.
Neurodiversity in the Classroom: Strength-Based Strategies t
Mon, Apr 29, 2013 01:00AM UTC
The Coffee Klatch
Follow This Show
If you liked this show, you should follow The Coffee Klatch.
A new concept on human diversity has emerged over the past 10 years that promises to revolutionize the way educators provide services to students with special needs: neurodiversity. Just as we celebrate diversity in nature and cultures, so too do we need to honor the diversity of brains among our students who learn, think, and behave differently. In Neurodiversity in the Classroom, best-selling guest Dr. Thomas Armstrong argues that we should embrace the strengths of such neurodiverse students to help them and their neurotypical peers thrive in school and beyond.
His innovative book focuses on five categories of special needs: learning disabilities, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism, intellectual disabilities, and emotional and behavioral disorders. We will discuss:
* The positive attributes associated with that category,
* Acclaimed neurodiverse adults who have excelled in their chosen fields,
* Computer programs and applications that allow students with special needs to overcome obstacles and achieve success,
* Rich networks of human resources both inside and outside of school that educators can draw upon to support the social and emotional lives of neurodiverse students,
* Innovative learning strategies that are tailored to each student's unique strengths,
* Future career paths for which a student s particular gifts might be a good fit,
* Modifications in the school environment that allow for seamless inclusion of neurodiverse students in the regular classroom, and
* Timely information about how to integrate the strategies and assessments for each category with the Common Core State Standards.
Actress Gabrielle Stone
LYONS RADIO NETWORK
Your Podcast or Mine!
Your Podcast or Mine
LiveParanormal History FM
Clutter or Hoarding?
Attention Talk Radio
Hiding Behind the Mask
Connecting with Joy
Heart Over Ego Radio
Hip Hop Music
HipHop Artist R.O.B.
Register or log-in
Would you like to create a free account?
Already have an account?
Add This Player To Your Website or Social Network
Publish To Social Networks
Embed To Sites & Blogs
Create your own Radio Show
Join the Platform
Set up a Live Interview
Want to start your own podcast?
Help & Support
Terms & Policy
Connect With Us