ONC has proposed regulations to open APIs to EHRs as a means to 1) promote interoperability, and 2) improve patient access to their health data.
· What’s this issue about? What are differing points of view?
· What’s your personal POV? What do you recommend?
Congress has been considering enacting federal privacy legislation.
· What’s the status of possible federal legislation? Of possible state legislation (e.g., CCPA)
· Is consensus emerging? Is it bipartisan? What are remaining sticking points?
· What’s your prognosis?
Personal health information is emerging as an area of great sensitivity for consumers/patients. A recent example is the uproar created by the partnership between Google and Ascension health system. Yet, the deal between Google and Mayo did not attract a lot of attention.
· Why is personal health data unique and sensitive?
· What’s your take on the Ascension/Google and Mayo/Google deals?