In the Eucharistic miracle of Stiphout, consecrated Hosts were preserved from a raging fire that destroyed the whole church, which was later rebuilt. In addition to the many documents describing the miracle, one can admire a painting depicting the miraculous episode in the parish church where it occurred. This event is celebrated each year by the residents of Stiphout especially on the feast of Corpus Christi.
In 1342 a violent thunderstorm suddenly broke out in the village of Stiphout. A lightning bolt struck the parish, setting it on fire. The flames quickly spread everywhere and reached the interior of the church. Not knowing what to do, the elderly pastor, Jan Hocaerts, immediately ran to warn the neighbors. A group of the faithful led by Jan Baloys, decided to try to rescue the Blessed Sacrament.
It was impossible to enter the church and the only solution left was for someone to be lowered down through the window. Jan Baloys volunteered. After breaking the glass of the large window near the altar with a bar, he let himself down inside. With great amazement, he saw that the flames which had already destroyed the whole church were being kept away from the area around the tabernacle.
Jan then opened the tabernacle, grabbed the ciborium containing the consecrated Hosts, and carried them to safety. Everyone immediately shouted, “Miracle!”. The church was later rebuilt and the Hosts remained intact until 1557. Because of historical vicissitudes and religious wars, every trace of them was subsequently lost.