On Holy Thursday, March 25, 1255, a priest of Ratisbonne was taking Holy Viaticum to a dying patient when, upon entering the city, he suddenly found himself before a stream overflowing because of an unexpected storm. To allow the people to pass from one bank to the other, they had placed a simple plank of wood. While crossing it, the priest slipped and dropped the ciborium containing the consecrated Hosts.
As an act of reparation, the priest, the faithful, and the civil authority decided the same day to construct a chapel on the site of the accident. On September 8, 1255, Bishop Albert consecrated the chapel in honor of the Savior, to which the Blessed Sacrament was carried in solemn procession. From that moment the sanctuary began to be frequented by numerous faithful.
Two years later an extraordinary event confirmed the holiness of the place. A priest was celebrating the Holy Mass in the little chapel, when he was struck by doubt regarding the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. He delayed, therefore, in elevating the chalice and suddenly heard a light noise come from the altar. From the wooden crucifix above the altar, the Lord slowly extended his arms to the priest, took the chalice from his hands and exhibited the Blessed Sacrament for the adoration of the faithful.
The priest, repentant, fell to his knees and begged forgiveness for having doubted. The Lord returned the chalice to him as a sign of pardon. The miraculous crucifix is still preserved to this day in the nearby town of Regensburg, and many of the faithful go to the place every year in pilgrimage.