We are spiritually there present with Mary and St. John. Our Lady of Sorrows opens our hearts as we reflect the sorrows of Mary.
The seven sorrows of Mary are:
1. St. Simeon’s Prophecy (Luke 2:35)
2. The Flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-14)
3. The Loss of Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2:44-52)
4. The Meeting of Mary and Jesus on the Way to Calvary (Tradition Luke 23:26-32)
5. The Crucifixion and Death of Jesus (John 19:16-30)
6. The Piercing of the Side of Jesus, and His Descent from the Cross (John 19:31-37 and Tradition)
7. The Burial of Jesus (John 19:38-42)
According to St. Alphonsus de Liguori (The Glories of Mary) it was revealed to Saint Elizabeth that at the request of Our Lady, Our Lord promised four principal graces to those devoted to Her Sorrows:
1. That those who before death invoke the divine Mother in the name of Her Sorrows will obtain true repentance of all their sins;
2. That He will protect all who have this devotion in their tribulations, and will protect them especially at the hour of death;
3. That He will impress on their minds the remembrance of His Passion;
4. That He will place such devout servants in Mother Mary’s hands to do with them as She wishes and to obtain for them all the graces She desires.