BlogTalkRadio uses cookies. By using our services, you're agreeing to our Cookies Policy. Got it

Our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy have changed. We think you'll like them better this way.

After Hours AM True Crime Villisca Axe murder house & Amityville Horror

  • Broadcast in Radio
After Hours AM

After Hours AM


Follow This Show

If you liked this show, you should follow After Hours AM.
On a best-of-both-worlds edition of After Hours AM/The Criminal Code — True Crime Wednesdays with hosts Joel Sturgis, Eric Olsen, and secret weapon forensic psychologist Dr. Clarissa Cole — we dive into two families viciously wiped out by murder, the Moores and DeFeos, and their allegedly wildly haunted afterlifes at the Villisca Ax Murder House and the Amityville Horror House. We talk these notorious murders and hauntings Top Hour 2; Hour 1, Joel and Eric review the week’s oddest True Crime news and chase off dark thoughts. The Villisca Ax Murder House – Villisca, Iowa By the turn of the 20th century, small towns lined the railroads that traversed America. Villisca, Iowa was one of these places, the epitome of “small town America”: safe, friendly, and community oriented – a good place to raise a family. Local lore claims “Villisca” means “pretty place” or “pleasant view,” but Native Americans of the Sauk and Fox tribes offer a more sinister etymology. Derived from the word “waliska,” its name means “evil spirit.” On the evening of June 9, 1912, the Moore family — Josiah (43), Sarah (39), Herman (11), Katherine (10), Boyd (8), Paul (5) — and overnight guests Lena Stillinger (11) and her sister Ina (8) attended a highly anticipated children’s program at the local Presbyterian church. The program ended late, after 9:30 pm. The town of Villisca was dark. There was no moonlight, and a dispute between the municipal power company and city officials had resulted in the streetlights being turned off. The Stillinger girls, afraid to walk alone through the darkened streets, telephoned home seeking permission to stay with the Moores. The family and their young guests made their way home and settled into bed sometime around 10 pm. When the sun came up Monday morning, a neighbor doing her wash noticed how unusually still the Moore house was. By the time the clock struck 7 am, curiosity turned to concern and she telephoned Ross Moore, Josiah’s brother. Ross telephoned the house