Our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy have changed. We think you'll like them better this way.

The Ruby McCollum Story...

  • Broadcast in History
Noah Batts

Noah Batts


Follow This Show

If you liked this show, you should follow Noah Batts.

When it comes to recognizing, giving credit to Black People for their contributions to the World or their role in depriving Blacks of justice or murdering us White Folks, arrogant and racist like to sweep the truth up under the rug as in the case of Ruby McCollum who was the richest Black Woman in Live Oak, Florida in the 1940's. Ruby was married to Sam McCollum who owned the largest Tobacco Farm in Suwannee County but also owned several Juke Joints and ran a successful Numbers Racket. Considered illegal in those days(because Whites Folks couldn't tax it or hadn't stolen the idea yet) Ruby and her husband had to pay off a White man named Leroy Adams who  had ties with the Police, was a Doctor, with a Family Practice that served both Black and White Patients. Leroy Adams was running for Political Office and used the pay-offs from Ruby and Sam McCollum to fund his Campaign. To add further insult to injury Leroy Adams began to show up when Sam was away, rape and drug Ruby repeatedly who gave birth to one of his children a daughter and was pregnant with his second child. On August  3, 1952 Ruby had enough of Dr. Leroy Adams, paid a visit to his office that afternoon and told him she going to abort his child and to leave her alone. Leroy Adams threatened to kill Ruby if she did, Ruby pulled a gun from her Purse and shot Dr. Adams 4 times killing him. On December 20, 1952 Ruby McCollum was found guilty and sentenced to Death by Electric Chair, by an all White Jury However, in a Supreme Court decision on July 20, 1954, the conviction and sentence were overturned and McCollum was declared mentally incompetent and incarcerated for 20 years in the Florida State  Mental Hospital in Chattahoochee, Florida. Ruby was often drugged and given several Electric Shocks to the brain. Ruby died May 23, 1992 of a stroke.