SORT BY Relevancy
When it comes to information technology, Robert Cringely knows what he's talking about. He's spent the last 30 years in the PC business, and some of Silicon Valley's best and brightest bend his ear frequently. Robert sorts through their tidbits and reports on it through his columns in major magazines and newspapers as well as his documentaries and books. As a tech insider, he wrote the famous "Notes from the Field" column for InfoWorld from 1987-1995. His work frequently appears in the New York Times, Newsweek, Forbes, Upside, Success, and Worth. His first book, "Accidental Empires: How the Boys of Silicon Valley Make Their Millions, Battle Foreign Competition, and Still Can't Get a Date," is a best-seller. His PBS documentaries have aired in more than 60 countries. In today's episode, he discusses his latest book, "The Decline and Fall of IBM."
Tom Foremski, is the founder and editor of the popular and top-ranked news site, Silicon Valley Watcher, reporting on the business and culture of innovation. In May 2004, Tom became the first journalist to leave a major newspaper, the Financial Times, to make a living as a full-time journalist blogger. Tom has been reporting on Silicon Valley and the US tech industry since 1984. His current focus is on the convergence of media and technology--the fuel for a new era for Silicon Valley. This is affecting businesses world wide.
Bravo Launches Interactive Experience for its New Reality Series, "Start-Ups Silicon Valley" Bravo's SVP of Marketing, Ellen Stone, Discusses the Network's "Silicon Valley Status" Project with [itvt]'s Tracy SwedlowIn this recorded interview, [itvt]'s Tracy Swedlow talks to Ellen Stone, SVP of marketing at Bravo Media, about Silicon Valley Status (SVS), an interactive experience that Bravo is launching today to enhance its new Randi Zuckerberg-executive-produced reality series, "Start-Ups: Silicon Valley" (premieres Monday, November 5th).
Silicon Valley Status, which was developed in partnership with interactive marketing agency Campfire, centers on a digital hub located at SiliconValleyStatus.com, where fans of the show can, among other things, discover their own "SVS score," obtain pointers for increasing their score, and see how they stack up against other viewers and various "Bravolebrities." Each viewer's SVS score is based on three social factors, according to Bravo--popularity, influence and "the 'It' factor"--and draws on an analysis of the viewer's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram presence.
The SVS site also features videos, which offer "insider" tips on improving one's SVS score from the "Start-Ups: Silicon Valley" cast. The videos include tutorials on how, for example, to promote a positive social-media image, how to get more re-tweets, and how to capture an effective profile picture. Viewers who sign up for the SVS experience will automatically be entered into a sweepstakes for a chance to win a ticket to the show's premiere party, which will take place November 4th in San Francisco.
Prior to the airing of the fourth installment of Soledaid O'Brien's BLACK IN AMERICA series which will focus on the lack of diversity and representation of black entrepreuners in Silicon Valley, a heated debate has occurred on the web.
Michael Arrington, a Silicon Valley investor and capital venturalist, stated that he has difficulty finding new high tech business startup wholly owned, initiated or operated by African Americans.
The South Bay(San Jose CA surrounding area) is the home of many well known high tech companies. The corporate headquarters of companies such as GOOGLE, CISCO, APPLE, HP, FACEBOOK, SUN MICROSYSTEMS, ORACLE and the location of major universities such as Stanford, UC Berkley, creates an environment whereby the ideas of the best & the brightest, coupled with financial backing of venture capital investment companies, fosters a climate of entrepreunership.
The admissions requirements to these highly academically competitive universities are some of the toughest in the country. The percentage of AA undergraduates is 10%; graduate students 3%. This could account for the difficulties Mr. Arrington alluded to in his interview. If more black students excelled in math and science subjects, could this acheivement gap be closed?
This week on the MBM we'll take an inside look at the sport of Roller Derby thanks to special guests from Los Angeles, CA's "Silicon Valley Roller Girls" .
Plus we'll have the "Muji Movie Minute" featuring 1979's "The Evictors" and 2010's "Trollhunter", and a big announcement regarding the future of "The Midnight Black Mass". Won't you join us boys and ghouls.
Join Business Coach Margaret Jackson as she grill's up her upcoming event on the Silicon Valley On the Edge Small Business Expo & Summit!
Tune In and find out what and who is going to be talking about and who the exibitors will be.
Editor's note: This podcast was originally produced for Eastwick Communications and called "Break Through the Noise."
Today I had the pleasure of discussing how influence happens today and much more with Tom Foremski, the former Financial Times journalist, who now heads up Silicon Valley Watcher.
Cynthia talks to Wayne Sutton, one of eight entrepreneurs featured in CNN's Black in America 4 - Silicon Valley The New Promised Land with Soledad O'Brien. Wayne sets the record straight on minorities in technology and shares insight on Black Americans who are accelerating entrepreneurship and innovation across the U.S. Join us for lunch on November 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM CT/ 12:30pm ET.
Deborah welcomes Silicon Valley’s Brand Strategy Expert Karen Kang. BrandingPays Founder and CEO Karen Kang is a recognized expert in positioning and brand strategies. She is a former partner with Regis McKenna Inc., the legendary marketing consulting firm that launched Apple and Genentech.
Successful IPOs and Product Launches She’s consulted to more than 100 organizations on corporate and personal branding in the US, Europe and Asia from Fortune 500 companies to non-profits and startups. Her broad experience has included such diverse clients as Ariba, AT&T, Bandspeed, Genentech, HP, iCharts, Lavante, Synopsys, Maxtor, NCR, Park Systems, SigmaQuest (Camstar), UC Davis Health System, University of Massachusetts, VoyagePrive.com and Webroot..
Valerie Grison, Founder & CEO, StoraLab Corp.
Valerie is a lifelong advertising and television executive who has followed her entrepreneurial itch to create a new company specialized in creating experiences for teens and tweens. StoraLab creates experiences that offer brands the tools to meaningfully engage this young audience in a safe space and better understand their thought trends. Its first project, TBQE The Best Question Ever, is a curiosity-driven social app for young people.
Valerie has a passion that has been reinforced by her two girls who are working their way through being tweens and teens themselves. She spent the past 5 years studying young adults — their behavior, their psychology, their neuroscience development, their trends — to become an expert in how to engage them.
Today, in addition to serving as CEO of StoraLab and the visionary overseeing TBQE, Valerie serves as a strategic consultant on select projects, helping global and boutique brands initiate a conversation with teens and tweens through positive events, promotions and contests that capture their attention and win their loyalty.
Previously to founding StoraLab, Valerie enjoyed a successful career in the advertising industry in Europe. She built a successful career as the Founder and Executive Producer of Tipitina Films, a production company specializing in award winning television commercials. Valerie produced international films for advertisers including L’Oréal, Chrysler, Volkswagen, Kraft Foods, and Samsung. She has also held finance and operational leadership roles. Her business success led to the acquisition of Others, a B2B advertising agency by Gyro, a global firm headquartered in London.
She lives in San Francisco with her daughters.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (472 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (50 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (32 chatters)
- thelordshour (28 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (25 chatters)
- MN.B.R.T. (21 chatters)
- Curious Times (20 chatters)
- Alan Roger Currie (16 chatters)
- reactionariez (15 chatters)
- The One People Oneness Radio (14 chatters)
- The Rad Reality Show (13 chatters)
- Winging It In Motown (13 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (12 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (9 chatters)
- Michael Fairman (9 chatters)
- Higher Truth Radio (9 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (7 chatters)
- Healing Light Radio (6 chatters)
- Bigbagstudios (6 chatters)
- Restoring Your Reality (6 chatters)
- in5d (5 chatters)
- churchfolk (5 chatters)
- The View from Montana (5 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (4 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (4 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (4 chatters)
- Jay King Network (4 chatters)
- SURN Host (4 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (4 chatters)
- Namaste Farms (3 chatters)
- David Fournier (3 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (3 chatters)
- Cage Side Submissions (3 chatters)
- 4 Shits n Giggles (3 chatters)
- Tha Boxing Voice Radio Show (3 chatters)
- The MADHOUSE (3 chatters)
- The Portal (2 chatters)
- The War Room (2 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (2 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (2 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (2 chatters)
- AtaensicNetworkStation (2 chatters)
- Cross Talk Radio brother Lawrence (2 chatters)
- BerniceBennett (2 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (2 chatters)
- KLJN 107 7 (2 chatters)
- Larry Csonka (2 chatters)
- Psychic Melinda (2 chatters)
- Quagmire America (2 chatters)
- Random Rants (2 chatters)
- Omega Man (2 chatters)
- Omega Man Channel 2 (2 chatters)
- Swaggercountdown (2 chatters)
- Terrachat Net (2 chatters)
- Shifting Times Radio (2 chatters)
- SpeakEasy Cafe (1 chatters)
- Rifleman (1 chatters)
- Personality Speaking (1 chatters)
- Mormon Vegetarian (1 chatters)
- Mystic Light and Shadows (1 chatters)
- Pro Wrestling Torch (1 chatters)
- ProphetCain (1 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (1 chatters)
- manofgod7 (1 chatters)
- Marti Oakley (1 chatters)
- Jamie Roxx (1 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (1 chatters)
- NDB Media (1 chatters)
- Neela Namaste (1 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio Mass Media (1 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (1 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (1 chatters)
- Harmonious Vibrations (1 chatters)
- God In The Midst (1 chatters)
- FFN On The Air (1 chatters)
- Four Aces Presents (1 chatters)
- Frat House Sports (1 chatters)
- Gamer Girls Radio (1 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (1 chatters)
- drkate (1 chatters)
- Drunken Radio (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Aubrey Allen Smith (1 chatters)
- cathies DistantEchos (1 chatters)
- AmericanMuslim360 (1 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (1 chatters)
- BreakingNewsJournal (1 chatters)
- Brian Treybig (1 chatters)
- BX25 Vixens (1 chatters)
- Venus In Velvet (1 chatters)
- WDC DA MOVEMENT (1 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (1 chatters)
- The World Transformed (1 chatters)
- Yizzor Talk (1 chatters)
- The Oracle Speaks (1 chatters)
- The NTuned Show (1 chatters)
- The Hermetic Hour (1 chatters)
- Top Star Hip Hop Radio (1 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (1 chatters)
- The Tailgate Show (1 chatters)
- The Russell Reed Show (1 chatters)