SORT BY Relevancy
Susun Weed answers your health questions followed by an informative interview with real people making change. Empower Yourself the Wise Woman Way. Call in or listen online. get answers to your questions about herbs, herbalism, healing, health, diet, nutrition, natural remedies, alternative medicine, wild crafting, folk remedies, nature, meditation, menopause, childbearing, cancer prevention, general health care, disease prevention, spirit healing, energy healing, Reiki, yoga, and much more... general wellbeing the wise woman way, Susun Weed has been a health expert for five decades, she is the author of the Wise Woman Herbal Series and she is an international speaker on the topics of health, healing, wellbeing and disease prevention. Listen in to hear her opinions on raw foods, veganism, fasting, juicing, colonics, supplements, vitamins, detoxing, vegetarianism, paleo, gluten free and other fads.. Energize yourself as you lean about Susun's personal faith in nature and natural healing the Wise Woman Way.
Susun Weed answers 90 minutes of your health questions followed by an 30 minute informative interview with Robyn Griggs Lawrence. Robyn Griggs Lawrence, a writer/editor, yoga instructor and single mother, first helped introduce sustainable lifestyles and healthy homes to mainstream America with Natural Home magazine and explored the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfection with The Wabi-Sabi House (2004), and Simply Imperfect: Revisiting the Wabi-Sabi House (2011). Her new mission is to educate people about how to safely prepare and imbibe organic, sustainably grown cannabis for health and wellbeing through The Cannabis Kitchen Cookbook, a collection of know-how, advice and recipes from America’s top cannabis chefs.
this episode Q&A includes:
• preparations for ground ivy- water, alcohol, vinegar, honey, oil...
• fermenting herbs? any herb with tannins can be fermented with kombucha
• tell your body what to do and it will listen...
• herbal support for long term traveling and choosing herbs with multiple uses- yarrow, hypericum, skullcap, wormwood, motherwort, slippery elm balls, arnica gel..
• slippery elm or marshmallow root? bark from limb of tree or root from perennial plant..
• what to eat raw and what to cook...
• women who cook their salad with oil slash their breast cancer risk by 78%...
• read about testicles in Susun's book 'Down There'...
Health and diet advice you can trust...Susun Weed answers your health questions followed by an informative interview with Zoe Helene.
Zoe Helene (@cosmicsister.com), a multidisciplinary artist, cultural activist and psychedelic feminist, is connecting visionaries who share her commitment to women’s rights, animal rights and the right to journey with sacred plants. Zoe’s work has been featured in Forbes, Boston Magazine, Utne Reader, Outside Magazine, Boston Globe, Newsday, MIT Technology Review, and Fast Company. Her sustainability articles have been published in LA Yoga, Organic Spa, Coco Eco, Eco Salon, Conscious Living, Endangered Species Coalition, Huffington Post, Organic Authority and Ladybud.
Zoe travels to remote regions with her husband and partner, ethnobotanist and Medicine Hunter Chris Kilham, to promote medicinal plants, environmental protection and cultural preservation.
In 2007, Zoe founded Cosmic Sister®, a collective for women who understand that true balance of power between genders will bring peace, progress and sustainability. In 2013, she launched the Cosmic Sister Plant Spirit Grant, a merit-based program that supports women as they experience ayahuasca ceremony in the Peruvian Amazon. Two new companion grant programs, Women of the Psychedelic Renaissance and Cosmic Sisters of Cannabis, focus on helping women educate the public about the benefits and risks of psychedelics and responsible use of sacred plants such as ayahuasca, cannabis, peyote, and psilocybin mushrooms, in transformational mind/body/spirit work. Zoe’s mission is to bring more powerful stories about women’s frontline work in this arena to the forefront of public conversation. Through a fiscal sponsorship with the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), donations for these projects are fully tax deductible. Please visit www.cosmicsister.com/support for more information.
Health and diet advice you can trust...Susun Weed answers your health questions followed by an informative interview with Dan De Lion.
Dan De Lion is a Forager, Herbalist, and Teacher dedicated to working with Nature to facilitate the reunion of the people with our planetary purpose. Dan teaches through Return to Nature providing classes and weekend retreats in foraging and herbalism, making homemade remedies, fermentation and Kombucha brewing, ecological and mystic philosophy, and primitive and survival skills. He also makes herbal remedies, gives herbal consultations, runs year- long mentorship programs, and teaches custom group herbalism classes. Dans website is ReturntoNature.us and he can be contacted at Dan@Returntonature.us .
this episode Q&A includes:
• the whole reason you are taking care of yourself is so that you can get old...
• oxygen is the most reactive chemical we know of- we oxidize as we age..
• vision problems- Bates method of eye improvement or reading glasses...
• generally the people that grow herbs make little to no money...
• nourishing herbal infusions for everyone!!!
• can heat harm minerals? No...
• spotting can be an indication of a more serious problem- benefits of birth control pills...
• every seed, root and flower of every plant contain phytosterols just like those in redclover...
• phytosterols are acted on by gut flora...
• gut bacteria is the most important thing to your health...
• fibroids at 53 and still menstruating- Stop menstruating...
• just gave birth- 2nd degree tear- comfrey leaf infusion to drink and sitz in...
Health and diet advice you can trust...Susun Weed answers your health questions followed by an informative interview with Sarah Salter-Kelly. Your ability to feel powerful, confident and capable is linked to how we have resolved the deeply painful experiences in our lives. We create value and meaning through venturing into the depths of our pain, transcending fear and making ourselves available to change. My gifts lay in illuminating this source of conflict within, and transforming its bondage, through understanding, compassion and ceremony. Sarah's website is http://www.sarahsalterkelly.com
this episode Q&A includes:
• one can be healthy when diagnosed with cancer and have no symptoms...
• prostate cancer- if you act within two weeks of dianosis, you will regret it- survival rates of those with prostate removed- no best answer- chemo, radiation- close monitoring- drink nourishing herbal infusions..
• breast cancer and prostate cancer are basically the same thing...
• breast cancer- phytosterols, estrogenic chemicals found in the environment, approximately 30 estrogens found in a woman's body...
• estrogens are not found in plants except estrace in orange peels, pomegranate seeds and young green beans...
• plastic has much more cancer feeding estrogens than any plant...
• radiation protection- cooked red and orange vegetables and seaweed..
• be sure to buy only cultivated american ginseng- on United Plant Savers list of endangered plants..
• can't stand the taste of infusions- find a way to like them...
• life isn't about making excuses, it's about finding ways to do it...
• no essential oils on breasts- lots of infused oil suggestions...
• cayenne oil- no healing from cayenne...
Susun Weed answers 90 minutes of herbal health questions followed by a 30 minute interview with Gill Stannard. Since childhood, Gill has been fascinated with herbs and was delighted to turn this passion into a profession after graduating from Southern School of Natural Therapies (Melbourne, Australia) in 1991. She ran a successful multidisciplinary clinic in Melbourne for 23 years, before taking her business online and moving to Sydney. Gill’s well known for her radio show, which aired for almost 20 years, and television appearances. With a move to Sydney in 2014, Gill refocused the way she practices by going back to the grassroots of natural medicine and working with clients in a health coaching framework. She also supervises naturopaths and herbalists struggling in practice through individual and group professional supervision, lectures and articles. Website: http://gillstannard.com.au
this episode Q&A includes:
• post traumatic stress change- make us stronger, healthier, broader...
• can we change the immune system? Wise Woman Tradition nourishes wholeness...
• get in touch with your anger so you're not so afraid of it...
• joint health- bone broth, comfrey leaf infusion and jewel weed brew...
• any part of dandelion harvested any time of year will make good medicine- most generous plant...
• animal fat is so critical in fertility...
• not menstruating is healthy for women..
• wild carrot seed for birth control- Robin Rose Bennett
• are your concerns about herbs during pregnancy overblown..
• horse chestnut for varcosities..
• SMASH- Salmon, Mackerel, Anchovies, Sardines, Herring for omega 3 fatty acids..
• supplements cannot make us healthy..
Susun Weed answers 90 minutes of herbal health questions followed by a 30 minute interview with Fiona Hamersley Chambers. Fiona is an ethnobotanist whose research focuses on how northwest coast First Peoples managed and co-evolved with their plant resources. Her PhD work, which is supervised by internationally-acclaimed ethnobotanist Dr. Nancy Turner, on BC’s central coast investigates how key berry plants were in cultivated and owned in ‘gardens’. Ultimately, the hope is for this applied research to act as a link between traditional knowledge and practice and the needs of First Nations communities as well as our larger society today. Fiona is a long-time organic farmer and commercial seed grower specializing in organically-grown and locally-adapted food plants. Fiona spent her childhood in the First Nations communities of Nitnaht Lake and Penelakut Island, where she maintains close ties. She also volunteers her time to help communities create food gardens.
this weeks Q&A includes:
• symptoms of panic and heart attack are the same- motherwort tincture for panic attack- the lion hearted...
• chickweed tincture dissolves ovarian cysts...
• after surgery, what can you do to make it up to your body? massage...
• wild yam tea or tincture is specific for treating digestive problems having to do with gallbladder complaints..
• difference of making tinctures from fresh and dried plants- dried and powdered herbs release more poisons into alcohol...
• essential oils kill bacteria and once introduced into the environment they do not go away...
• food not supplements!!!
• no such thing as whole food vitamins!
• no increase of mercury or radioactivity in seaweed...
• do not use french press when making infusions..
• stage 4 mouth cancer...
Health and diet advice you can trust...Susun Weed answers your health questions followed by an informative interview with Gabriella Guglielminotti Trivel. Gabriella was born in Italy and studied foreign languages at the University of Turin, her home city. She is a qualified Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) and has travelled around Europe, Asia, Africa, America and Antarctica. In 2012 she published a book, 'Antarctic Odyssey a New Beginning', about her adventures there.She is an author, speaker, visionary and feminine cycle consultant who helps women to gain confidence, authority and fulfillment in life by knowing better their body. She helps women to make their feminine cycle their best friend. She also helps couples improve their relationship when the cycle is a problem to find a more satisfying way tocommunicate and have better intimacy.
this week Q&A includes:
• thyroiditis- autoimmune disease- echinacea angustifolia root tincture instead of antibiotics..
• herbs to support us while undergoing radiation..
• hypericum oil protects the skin against radiation..
• alcohol based tinctures and the safety of...
• dandelion is a wonderful, powerful, magnificent herb..
• John Ott- 'Health and Light'- effects of lighy on human life...
• nettle root uses..
• viruses and bacteria..
• never under any circumstance do a liver cleanse- nothing in your liver to be cleansed..
• a fatty liver comes from eating refined sugar and refined flours- cut those out and replace with whole grains..
• the liver can't be cleansed, it can be nourished..
No Show this week. We will be back in two weeks on January 5, 2016. Happy Holidays!!!
Susun Weed answers 90 minutes of herbal health questions followed by a 30 minute interview with Jaime Kulaga. Jaime knows first-hand how things can get twisted up. A married mother of two, author, inspirational speaker, workshop leader, Ph.D and counselor/coach with a thriving practice called of Mindful Rehabilitation (www.mindfulrehab.com), she has had to learn when to stop and change course to preserve that balance. And she shares these experiences in the book. But mostly she has culled the essences of her workshops, working with women around the world who share these same frustrations and anxieties. Women who give until all the life juices are drained.
this episode Q&A includes:
• a diagnosis is almost meaningless- work with the individual persons symptoms..
• body mass increases with age- stop telling women they are overweight..
• baby teeth reflect the diet of the mother while pregnant..
• all life is sentient- plant or animal- to be alive we must eat other living beings- do so humbly..
• the lower iron levels are the heavier menstruation tends to be..
• eating raw greens? STOP! Cook your greens..
• adding dairy to coffee deactivates the catechins..
• how auto immune diseases function..
• astragalus added to infusion rotation as immune nourisher..
• not only take care of yourself, but talk about taking care of yourself so other women know it is okay..
• where to look for nettle..
• bee sting therapy and urtication..
• does it make me healthier, my family healthier, my community healthier..
• we are where we are because we want to be there.
• local helps me stay strong and reduces my impact..
• restore health to the digestive tract with slippery elm balls..
Health and diet advice you can trust...Susun Weed answers your health questions followed by an informative interview with Connie Whitman. Connie Whitman has more than 32 years of management, sales, training and coaching experience. She is widely recognized for her ability to create practical training and sales management solutions that have consistently generated increased sales and revenues for her clients. During her career, she has acted as a strong leader and sales manager with proven experience in developing effective business plans, creating long-range strategic focus and devising innovative methods to grow sales, increase market share and profit.
this episode Q&A includes:
• fenugreek- uses and how to prepare..
• freeze or cook fruit to prevent glucose levels from rising too high..
• uncircumcised child with infection- witch hazel, yarrow, echinacea..
• altitude sickness- are you eating enough meat? osha carries oxygen to cell- take in very small amounts..
• not against drugs in any shape or form- against overuse of drugs..
• strokes, blood clots, aspirin, white willow..
• making dandelion atilano..
• tight hips- hydrotherapy, seaweed baths, hypericum..
• wanting to complete miscarriage at home..
• cervical cancer- chemo and radiation may be the best option..
• chinese herbs are grown with a huge amount of chemicals and when tested often times contain drugs not labeled..
• PCOS- most important thing is to eat animal fat at every meal..
• pomegranate seeds..