SORT BY Relevancy
Shortage of Superintendents of Color
Why is there a shortage of superintendents of color in the school system? Well beside the fact that most of us would think to be an obvious one, the one that is or has been an issue surrounding other shortages within the school system is the fact that as most administrative positions they are earned by way of working through the system to advance to their desired positions.
If there is a shortage of black teachers, black principals, black board members then how could there not be a shortage of black superintendents. Nationally, about 7 percent of the teaching force is African American, according to the National Education Association and the National Center for Education Statistics. So that also goes without having to literally spell it out that the other 93% of the teaching force is something other than black.
Of the many issues of why these shortages are taking its toll on closing the achievement gap this position seems to be extremely crucial in the sense of having the diversity needed to address the issues of inequities within the system from the top levels of administrators’ right down to their teaching staff.
American Culture and the Achievement Gap
What is an “achievement gap?” The achievement gap on which this article focuses is the academic achievement gap between African-American and Caucasian students in American schools. It seems that even when the parents of African-American children have university degrees, their children still have lower test scores than the children of Caucasian parents with college degrees. This holds true at all levels of parental education. Why? While there are a myriad of reasons for the academic achievement gap between races, including institutionalized racism, low teacher expectations, poor schools, limited experiential backgrounds, etc., this article focuses on American culture and the “dumbing” of America as one often overlooked reason.
There is an overall American attitude that stupidity is “cute,” “cool,” and trendy. Witness the appalling lack of knowledge on the part of Paris Hilton during a court proceeding, in which she was asked a question about “Great Britain” and obviously did not know that England is part of Great Britain. (It had to be explained to her, after which, she pouted and rolled her eyes.) When a rich, pampered, role model socialite from one of the wealthiest families in America exhibits such ignorance, after a presumably excellent education in private schools, is it any wonder that other young people don’t worry about getting a good education and using it? They look at what she has and how stupid she acts and think they don’t need “smarts” to become rich and successful!
10 Things that school districts can do to close the achievement gap... Is your School District on course or are they far away? Listen In and decide.
The top 10 things your district should be doing to close the achievement gap..
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (380 chatters)
- John Baptist (83 chatters)
- ANGRYFANS RADIO 1 (45 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (19 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (19 chatters)
- Curious Times (16 chatters)
- thelordshour (15 chatters)
- Canadian Moto Show (12 chatters)
- Living Off The Grid Radio (12 chatters)
- Odwirafo (12 chatters)
- allah team (11 chatters)
- Golden Rose Psychic Radio (11 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (9 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (9 chatters)
- ShadySykes (8 chatters)
- Fresh Fire Prayer LineBrother Kay (8 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (8 chatters)
- Top Star Hip Hop Radio (8 chatters)
- AirWavesAmerica (7 chatters)
- Brian Treybig (6 chatters)
- The Psychic Surgeon (5 chatters)
- Phone Fantasy Radio (5 chatters)
- OPWR (4 chatters)
- Talk2Q (4 chatters)
- 12kyle (4 chatters)
- Bards Logic Political Talk (4 chatters)
- Feldman World Group (4 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (3 chatters)
- Elovation Radio (3 chatters)
- THEE ALMIGHTY ALLSUNDARA (3 chatters)
- Xclusive Jamz Nation (2 chatters)
- Freestyle Hour (2 chatters)
- Black Whole Radio (2 chatters)
- Caribbean Radio Show CRS Radio (2 chatters)
- CharHardin (2 chatters)
- The Neo Soul Show (2 chatters)
- Soul Tree Radio X In The Raw (2 chatters)
- The Ron and Don Show (2 chatters)
- Nu Ankh Radio (2 chatters)
- PM2U Radio (1 chatters)
- Reach Out America (1 chatters)
- The Unsung Goddess (1 chatters)
- The Way Walkers (1 chatters)
- SURN Host (1 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (1 chatters)
- WTLC Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- UP AND DOWN MAGAZINE RADIO23 (1 chatters)