SORT BY Relevancy
Shelley Holcomb is the co-creator of Curate L.A., an interactive web platform that gives users an easy tool to keep track of art openings, exhibitions and events in the city.
Los Angeles is a sprawling, continually evolving cultural landscape with a thriving art scene offering an abundance of museums, galleries, art events, auction houses, and arts districts.
Set up as a map, Curate L.A. is populated with more then 400 venues pinned with active links, so the site helps users keep track of what is going on in any neighborhood. It also encourages the discovery of venues throughout the city, whether it’s an established museum, or a brand-new alternative space.
Hosted by GYST Radio Manager and independent curator, Kara Tomé
Artist Lorri Deyer talks about her project The Idea Truck, a restored and customized taco truck that she drives around the city of Los Angeles, and the only thing on the menu is IDEAS. The truck is parked in a public place and passers-by are asked to give her an idea of theirs, in exchange for another.
Lorri's work challenges viewers to examine the unconsidered aspects of their immediate surroundings. She has been working in the public realm, and exhibiting her work, since receiving her MFA in 2009 from California State University.
Hosted by Kara Tome, GYST Radio Host and independent curator.
South of Sunset is an exhibition and performance space in Echo Park founded in August of 2013 by Elizabeth DiGiovanni and Megan Dudley.
GYST DO IT! provides artists and creatives with a forum to share their DIY approach to making things happen in the arts community of Los Angeles. Show hosted by independent curator and GYST radio host Kara Tomé.
TRACTIONARTS is a video venue in the heart of the Arts District in downtown Los Angeles. Videos are rear projected in the street-facing window of artist Ken Marchionno’s studio for the public to view in the evening hours. He started curating this very alternative space in 2013 to expose the community to new and interesting video art.
Hosted by Kara Tomé, GYST Radio Manager, Radio Host and Independent Curator
Sometimes we can’t make the time to attend the 8-week GYST Workshop. That’s why we decided to head out of town, roll up our sleeves, and get to work! The GYST Weekend Workshop Retreat is an intensive workshop held on the beautiful Central Coast in Pescadero, California.
Similar to our 8-week class, this retreat is for anyone who is looking to kick-start their art career, get organized, and learn just about everything it takes to make it in the art world.
Tuition: $480 for a weekend away to organize and relax!
Here’s what’s included:
-2 nights accommodations in a GYST-only discounted Costanoa Tent Bungalow.
-Welcome catered gourmet BBQ reception provided by Cascade Bar & Grill
-Breakfast and lunch provided for both Saturday and Sunday.
-Full weekend GYST workshop jam-packed with all of the vital information needed to jump-start your art career.
-Copy of the GYST software (a $130 value).
-Special GYST-only discounts on: accommodation upgrades, spa treatments, Costanoa general store and gift shop, resort activities and Cascade Bar & Grill.
Register by October 5th to reserve your space.
October 26, 2012 – October 28, 2012.
Welcome reception October 26th at 8pm, Weekend Workshop ends after lunch on Sunday October 28th.
Costanoa Costal Lodge & Camp
2001 Rossi Road at HWY 1
Pescadero, CA 94060
To see pictures and receive more information about our great friends at Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Camp please visit their website at costanoa.com
Adjunct Positions is a non-commercial art space run by artist David Prince out of a residential garage in the Notheast Los Angeles neighborhood of Highland Park. An artist-centric test site, it supports work that brings creative process into the exhibition space — transforming, performing, or otherwise materially inhabiting it.
Hosted by GYST Radio Manager, Kara Tomé, founder of ArtSite Projects
Guest is Alexandra Shabtai, founder of SPArt, a new funding initiative that supports Los Angeles-based Social Practice Art projects. SPArt provides financial resources to artists who intend to create social change through socially engaged art.
In 2014, SPArt awarded inaugural grants of $10,000 each to three artists whose proposed projects engage audiences, promote participation, and foster social change. Grantees were Christina Sanchez for her project Cocina Abierta (Open Kitchen), Kenyatta A.C. Hinkle for her project the Kentifrican Museum of Culture: Re-imagining Identity, and Dorit Cypis for her project Conflict Revolution.
Hosted by Kara Tomé, GYST Radio Manager and Independent Curator. GYST DO IT! promotes artists and creatives who take the initiative to present innovative arts programming for the public through starting a collaborative, an independent space or a non-profit organization.
Guests are Robby Herbst and Erin Schneider of The Llano Del Rio Collective, which aims to expand the cultural, social, and political imagination of Los Angeles through the production of thematic guides, related events and the hosting of a speakers bureau.
Their printed guides, produced in collaboration with a group of artist contributors, have explored utopian societies, mapped sites of agonistic social and political practice, and described locations for a variety of radical, creative behavior in Los Angeles and Southern California.
For more information and to order the guides, visit ldrg.wordpress.com
Show hosted by Kara Tomé, GYST Radio Manager and founder of ArtSite Projects.
The Women’s Center for Creative Work (WCCW) was founded in 2013 by Katie Bachler, Kate Johnston, and Sarah Williams as a collaboration of Los Angeles-based women engaged in conversations about contemporary feminisms of all kinds.
Through a variety of inclusive programming the WCCW strives to feed a dialogue surrounding feminism, femininity, womanhood and the creative impulse.
Without a permanent space, the WCCW is engaged in a Year Long Laboratory, hosting a nomadic series of workshops and pop-ups, as well as The Women’s Dinner, which is the cornerstone of the WCCW.
Show host: Kara Tomé, GYST Radio Manager, independent curator, and founder of ArtSite Projects.
Guest is Shamim Momin, co-founder, director and curator of LAND.
Los Angeles Nomadic Division is a non-profit art organization founded in 2009 as a public art initiative committed to curating site- and situation-specific contemporary art projects in Los Angeles and beyond.
LAND believes that everyone deserves the opportunity to experience innovative contemporary art in their day-to-day lives. In turn, artists deserve the opportunity to realize projects, otherwise unsupported, at unique sites in the public realm.
LAND supports dynamic and unconventional artistic practices through commissioning public projects of site- and situation-specific works, collaborating with a variety of institutions and organizations, and offering additional programs such as performances, workshops, residencies, discussions, and publications.
Hosted by Kara Tomé, independent curator and GYST Radio manager.
Sign up For GYST200: Advanced Critique
Mondays October 1 – November 12 from 7-9PM
Location: The Los Angeles area at enrolled artists’ studios
Register: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
About The Class:
This is an exclusive class for students who have already taken the GYST workshop and/or students who evidence an emerging practice and want to delve in-depth into the conceptual issues informing their work. This class will equip you with advanced skills needed to speak articulately and convincingly about your work.
This class will be moderated by art critic, artist, curator, and GYST VP, Tucker Neel.
Since we will be holding critiques in each student’s respective studio, it is important that this class be limited to artists working in the Eastside LA region (including Glendale & Pasadena). This is due to the time of the class and the desire for every student to be able to attend every studio visit. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
Due to the intimate nature of this class, enrollment is limited to 6 artists.
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1, 2012:
A digital portfolio of 6 images of your work. Images should be a maximum of 800pixels wide and 72 dpi. If you work in video please provide a link to videos online. DO NOT EMAIL VIDEO.
An image list for the work in your portfolio
Your current artist statement
Your current resume
A brief statement about why you want to take this class.
Artist Brian Mallman created 50NYork Gallery as a constantly evolving art experiment that investigates how art is created, displayed and interacted with. The gallery exists as an altered abandoned gas station sign on the corner of Avenue 50 and York Blvd. in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Highland Park.
50NYork works to inspire self-propelled public art projects. Many of these projects happen outside the gallery space and are designed to self-replicate and regenerate. The 50NYork concept is designed to be adopted, adapted and duplicated in any physical space that is ignored, forgotten or abandoned.
GYST Radio is hosted by Kara W. Tomé, founder of ArtSite Projects
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (98 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (85 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (45 chatters)
- The Portal (22 chatters)
- thelordshour (19 chatters)
- WQ4D Radio (19 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (17 chatters)
- HOV Radio (15 chatters)
- Fins Radio (12 chatters)
- churchfolk (11 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (10 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (10 chatters)
- Symmetry of Soul (9 chatters)
- TruthRadioNetwork (9 chatters)
- Hidden Wisdom Radio (9 chatters)
- LiveParanormal History FM (9 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (8 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (7 chatters)
- Rabbi Aryel Nachman (7 chatters)
- SpiritMessages (6 chatters)
- NCI Radio (6 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (6 chatters)
- SHRAonair (5 chatters)
- Random Brain Activity (5 chatters)
- Real Talk Radio17 (5 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (5 chatters)
- RFB Radio WOW (5 chatters)
- Bill Murray (5 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (5 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (4 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (4 chatters)
- Indie Chick Radio (4 chatters)
- Jeff Coats X Pitboss Waterfowl (4 chatters)
- Psychic Melinda (3 chatters)
- Krista Dickan (3 chatters)
- Marjorie Cole (3 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (3 chatters)
- SasquatchWatch Radio (3 chatters)
- Reel Life Radio LIFE IS A MOVIE (3 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (3 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (3 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (3 chatters)
- Aquatic Wetline (3 chatters)
- BC Interruption Radio (3 chatters)
- thedean (3 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (3 chatters)
- Twin Radio (3 chatters)
- WE RESISTERS RADIO (3 chatters)
- wayneG (2 chatters)
- The Hilltop Radio Show (2 chatters)
- The Love Channel Show (2 chatters)
- The Road Less Traveled (2 chatters)
- TopSportsReport (2 chatters)
- BITEradio me (2 chatters)
- Black FreeThinkers (2 chatters)
- Body of Christ (2 chatters)
- 1twopunch (2 chatters)
- American Statesman (2 chatters)
- Aaron McCready (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- GRANNY GANJA (2 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (2 chatters)
- SpeakingXOut (2 chatters)
- Life Conversations (2 chatters)
- Moving Train Radio (2 chatters)
- Pit Bulletin Legal News (2 chatters)
- Off the Rails Radio (2 chatters)
- Paranormal Geeks Radio (2 chatters)
- May We Help You Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Messages From Beyond (1 chatters)
- Survival Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Shay Renae and Friends (1 chatters)
- SOUL 1 RADIO (1 chatters)
- Rick Moran (1 chatters)
- ROAD2STARDOM RADIO (1 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (1 chatters)
- RotoExpertsXcom FantasySports Show (1 chatters)
- Real Talk With Robert Simmons (1 chatters)
- redmaryland (1 chatters)
- Cynde Meyer (1 chatters)
- Dominick Calvitto (1 chatters)
- Fancalls (1 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (1 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (1 chatters)
- Indy Showcase0 (1 chatters)
- Inspire Radio Network (1 chatters)
- InThePaint (1 chatters)
- JakeyandTheAce (1 chatters)
- Jamie Roxx (1 chatters)
- AirAmarteifioRadio (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- Angel Heart Radio (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Cross Talk Radio brother Lawrence (1 chatters)
- Bebee and Friends Network (1 chatters)
- BishopJD (1 chatters)
- True Psychics Network (1 chatters)
- The Watchman Is216 (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- The Madden Voice (1 chatters)
- WitchTalk Radio0 (1 chatters)
- Woman2WomanTalkingToMen (1 chatters)
- UP AND DOWN MAGAZINE (1 chatters)
- WQYB Radio Network (1 chatters)
- YHWH The TRUE NAME (1 chatters)
- Your Enlightenment Zone (1 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (0 chatters)