SORT BY Relevancy
Patients with dementia develop dysphagia ( swallowing problems) sometime during the clinical course of their disease, and it is estimated that 45% of institutionalized patients with dementia have dysphagia. Complications from swallowing problems resulting from neurological diseases and dementia can include: dehydration, malnutrition, and aspiration pneumonia, often resulting in repeat hospitalizations, and sometimes resulting in death.
Join me and guests: Roya Sayadi, PhD ,CCC-SLP, and Joel Herskowitz, M.D.,authors: Swallow Safety: How Swallowing Problems Threaten the Elderly and Others: A Caregivers Guide to Recognition, Prevention, and Treatment. Their book was written in an attempt to provide people with a basic understanding of swallowing and practical suggestions that might “prevent problems and promote greater safety.
Laura Michael, is a nutritional consultant and owner, Dysphagia Supplies Direct. When Laura’s own father was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia she committed to help her mother keep her father living well at home, and continues that work with others.
Learn more: www.dysphagiasupplies.com
Join pediatric speech -language pathologist Laura Mize from teachmetotalk.com and her guest SLP Jennifer Hatfield from Therapy and Learning Services. Jennifer is a feeding specialist and will discuss the range of feeding issues we see in toddlers from picky eating to dysphagia, a swallowing disorder. She'll give us successful treatment strategies for both therapists and parents to explore when working with a toddler who isn't eating.
TUESDAY, AUG 5, 2014 - 3:30 PM PST/6:30 PM EST
Swallowing difficulty and Huntington's disease
Posted August 3, 2014, by LaVonne Goodman, M.D.
Dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing, is a big problem in Huntington's disease (HD), but surprisingly little is known about it. It is not known how early it begins, or how symptoms and swallowing dysfunction progress over the stages of HD. Further, even less is known about techniques that might prevent, alleviate or treat it. As such, we welcome the recent attention given this symptom by investigators from Europe.
READ THE ARTICLE -- LISTEN TO THE SHOW...
Join Sara Bingham, WeeHands Founder and author of The Baby Signing Book, each week as she shares parenting tips, language development strategies, and the joys of connecting with your baby, toddler and/or preschool child.
This week, Sara will chat with Elise Duryea, a speech language pathologist, about teaching parents how they can enhance their child's development in the home with basic toys and activities and play.
Learn more about how WeeHands and signing with your baby at www.weehands.com or share with us on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/weehands.
This week on Mom Talk Radio, we are joined by Kelley Suggs, certified health education specialist, who talks about making small changes to see significant results. Spotlight on Moms features Kelly Stilwell of KellyStilwell.com. Dr. Carlos Bertot, pediatric dentist and national spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, talks about caring for baby teeth. Jessica Brekke, co-founder of The HopeFULL Company shares a great solution for chemotherapy and dysphagia patients. Sheryl Hill, author of Walking on Sunshine, NRG a Divine Transformation, shares guidelines and tips for safe travel.
Dr. Stephanie K. Daniels is research speech-language pathologist at the Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX, and Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Baylor College of Medicine.
Guest: Bonnie Martin-Harris, Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina, Director of the MUSC Evelyn Trammell Institute for Voice and Swallowing, Chair of the Specialty Board for Board Recognition in Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders (www.swallowingdisorders.org), and President of the Dysphagia Research Society (DRS).
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- thelordshour (20 chatters)
- War on the Horizon Live (16 chatters)
- Candelos Corner Radio (14 chatters)
- Laura DiPrete (13 chatters)
- We Built That Network (13 chatters)
- C Robert JonesPhD (11 chatters)
- PonytailPatriot (8 chatters)
- CinnamonMoon At Night (7 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (6 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (6 chatters)
- Star Nations Radio Network (6 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (5 chatters)
- PRNRadioNetwork (4 chatters)
- Papa CE (4 chatters)
- MethylationSupport (4 chatters)
- Harvest Time Alert (4 chatters)
- Bill Murray (4 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (3 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (3 chatters)
- Nikki Rich (3 chatters)
- The Captain0 (3 chatters)
- Rod Eccles (3 chatters)
- Roger Taylor (2 chatters)
- TIS Network (2 chatters)
- True Psychics Network (2 chatters)
- The Prophetic Hour (2 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (2 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (2 chatters)
- Front Row At The Freak Show (2 chatters)
- Men Lets Talk (2 chatters)
- Essence Of My Love (2 chatters)
- CLNSRadio (2 chatters)
- HOV Radio (2 chatters)
- I AM A SUPERWOMAN RADIO (2 chatters)
- Awakened BEloved Community (2 chatters)
- American Statesman (1 chatters)
- AverageBlackMan (1 chatters)
- BLACK SATIN RADIO LIVE (1 chatters)
- Caribbean Radio Show CRS Radio (1 chatters)
- JackNewtown (1 chatters)
- Janet M Taylor (1 chatters)
- Everything Kathy B (1 chatters)
- MKSPCG (1 chatters)
- My Little Pony Talk (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- Woman2WomanTalkingToMen (1 chatters)
- real talk for real people0 (1 chatters)
- redmaryland (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- The Grace View (0 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (0 chatters)