SORT BY Relevancy
Classical Music and Improvisation
Improvisation used within the classical music tradition can be thought of as, music properly heightened by the improvising soloist.
Donal Fox, Herbie Hancock, Abdullah Ibrahim, David Baker are heard here using this approach to do just that.
Today, classical music composers, performers, use improvisation and traditional forms to shape their works as a normative approach. This is music jammed up, swung another was. Essays of Note looks this week at a few examples of works, artistry of composers, soloists who use improvisation as a part of their language. We hope you enjoy! Don't miss any of Blog Talk Radio's/ Tavis Smiley networks shows. Hear what 30,000 listeners have experienced with ACC ear You There! Be sure to follow us now on Twitter. Be a follower @accbillbanfield Look for Bill Banfield's The jazz Urbane, ACC show's Theme Music(s) on the Jazz Urbane YOUTube channel news on the music and the grooves.
Downloads on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/playing-other-peoples-heads/id807095731?uo=4
Purchase CD at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Playing-With-Other-Peoples-Heads/dp/B00HX7SLHC/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1390324535&sr=8-17&keywords=bill+banfield
View on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/JazzUrbaneRecords1
Join me this Sunday, May 18, 2014, at 10:00am when I will speak with and play the music of CHAD CARTER a vocalist who is a Washington, DC native. He has performed at major jazz venues throughout Washington, DC. In addition, he has performed at the famous Lenox Lounge in Harlem New York. In 2002, Chad performed for Lionel Hampton in Washington D.C. at the Rayburn House Office Building. He has performed with Frank Owens, Lisle Atkinson, Aaron Graves, Bootsie Barnes, Buck Hill, Danny Mixon, Fred Hughes, Nasar Abadey, Mike Bowie, Bob Butta, Steve Novosel, Ronnie Wells, Ron Elliston, Chuck Redd, Robert Redd, Ron Compton, James King, Nadine Rae, Vince Smith, Cheyney Thomas, Alfredo Mojica, Pepe’ Gonzalez, Mickey Roker, and Keith Killgo just to name a few. Thank you so much for joining me every Sunday. Keeping jazz alive!!!!
Join us on the program Jazz Notes, on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, from 10:00am to 10:30am, when I will share the music and information of eight of the greater Washington, DC area vocalists: Anthony Compton, Tacha Coleman Parr, Kathy Farmer, Tim Gavagan, Jeanine Greene, Kim Mills, Kiris Powell and Jeff Weintraub. Tim Gavagan will join us and talk about the event that he is hosting that features these artists and the Wayne Wilentz Trio. Jazz Notes is striving to keep jazz alive.
Join me, Sunday, July 20, 2014, from 10:00am to 10:30am, when I interview and play the music of Ron Sutton Jr. a saxophonist who is a native of Washington, D.C. He attended Duke Ellington School of Arts and later went on to study with jazz legend and saxophonist Jackie Mclean at the University of Hartford (Hart School of Music). In 1987 Ron moved to New York City where he played with various up and coming musicians before getting a break to play with jazz drummer Rashied Ali and legendary drummer Arthur Taylor. The Blogtalkradio program Jazz Notes strives to keep jazz alive!
Join me Thursday, July 17, 2014, from 10:00am to 10:30am, when I interview and share the music of Alex Hamburger who is a young vocalist and flute player. She resides in the DC area and she attended Blair High School in Silver Spring, Maryland. She was a member of the Jazz Academy of Washington Orchestra which is directed by tenor saxophonist Paul Carr. Currently Alex is majoring in Jazz Studies at SUNY Purchase in New York. The Blogtalkradio program Jazz Notes strives to keep jazz alive!
Join me on Sunday, July 6, 2014, at 10:00am, when I interview Reginald Cyntje a jazz trombonist, educator and activist. Reginald wants to spread love, peace and social justice through his music. He was born on the island of Dominica and raised in St. Thomas, United States, Virgin Island. His music is a mix of his cultural heritage with Black American Music. Reginald resides in Washington, D.C., although he has traveled throughout the world performing with many great musicians. Jazz Notes keeping jazz alive!
Did you attend the performance of the Washington Renaissance Orchestra on June 20th? Well, this Sunday, July 23, 2014, at 10:00am, Nasar Abadey one of the driving forces behind that performance will join us at Blogtalkradio. He is a drummer, composer, bandleader, and educator. In addition, he is the founder, and leader of the group SUPERNOVA®. His music spans the African Diaspora as well as inspired by the many jazz innovators. Abadey has performed with many well known jazz musicians: such as, Amiri Baraka, Dizzy Gillespie, and Charlie Rouse, just to name a few. Frankie Dunlop, the drummer, is his cousin. Currently, Abadey is a Professor of Jazz Percussion in the Jazz Studies department at Peabody Institute of the John Hopkins University. Join us as we talk with him and explore his music. The program is Jazz Notes and our mission is to keep jazz alive!
Join me on Sunday, June 15, 2014, on Jazz Notes with Ellen Williams Carter when I interview and play the music of Maurice Lyles (Brother Maurice as he is affectionately called) has a long and interesting history as one of Washington, D.C’s finest drummers. A student of the renowned Philly Joe Jones, Brother Maurice played his first job in a show starring Stepin’ Fetchit. He went on to play with the great baritone saxophonist Leo Parker, Jimmy Heath, Earl “Fatha” Hines, Roy Eldridge and Sarah Vaughn. I look forward to spending time with you. Jazz Lives!
Join me on Jazz Notes, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, at 2:00pm, when I interview and play the music of jazz pianist, keyboardist, producer and composer Marc Cary. He holds tight to his roots in the Washington, D.C. go-go music scene, but they represent only one more element of the many musical forms that he explores. His interests run from Indian classical to Malian music to hip-hop. He started his career working with Betty Carter, a legendary vocalist famous for drawing soul and sincerity out of her bands, and went on to work with Roy Hargrove, Dizzy Gillespie, Erykah Badu, Shirley Horn, Stefon Harris, Q-Tip and – most influential of all – Abbey Lincoln. Jazz Lives!
This afternoon, at 12:30pm, I have the pleasure of interviewing and playing the music of Sharon Clark. We heard her music at 10:00am. Now we will speak with her. Sharon Clark is a Washington, D.C. native who has performed throughout the U.S. and Europe. Washington, D.C. has many talented vocalists in our community. Two of them are the late Shirley Horn and Sharon Clark. Sharon has a 2008 release, entitled, Do it Again — My Tribute to Shirley Horn. The Jazz Times said that Clark not only conjures up memories of the Divine Sarah Vaughan; she does them justice. I never thought I'd hear a singer with the range, musicality and command of tone and timbre that was Sarah at her best, but now I have." The Washington Post calls her powerful yet supple . . . soulful, swinging . . . wonderfully nimble . . . dreamy." Washingtonian Magazine has labeled her a Jazz Master. Jazz lives on the program Jazz Notes!
This Sunday, May 25, 2014, at 10:00am, join me as I interview and play the music of tenor saxophonist and composer, Azar Lawrence. He has composed, produced and performed with jazz pianist McCoy Tyner for over five years and Elvin Jones for many years. The drummer Elvin Jones told him that he had the same kind of energy that John Coltrane had. Miles Davis told him that he wanted him to join the group because he had not heard a jazz tenor saxophonist like John Coltrane until he heard Azar Lawrence. His first performance with Miles Davis was in Washington DC. I look forward to your joining us at Jazz Notes! Keeping jazz alive!
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (494 chatters)
- John Baptist (98 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (26 chatters)
- Curious Times (23 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (21 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (21 chatters)
- Cardboard Connection Radio (17 chatters)
- Get Real LOL uncensored reality tv (17 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (15 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (14 chatters)
- DynastySoundtrack (14 chatters)
- Marti Oakley (12 chatters)
- thelordshour (11 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (10 chatters)
- Coach Khayr (10 chatters)
- canadianglen (9 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (9 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (9 chatters)
- Odwirafo (9 chatters)
- MCMJimmy (8 chatters)
- Moorish Science Radio (7 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (7 chatters)
- Canadian Motocross Weekly (6 chatters)
- Bards Logic Political Talk (6 chatters)
- Ms KiKi (6 chatters)
- Metaphysical and Spiritual Chat (6 chatters)
- Leslie Draper (6 chatters)
- Quagmire America (6 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (6 chatters)
- SURN Host (6 chatters)
- TonyWolfPaw (6 chatters)
- thedean (5 chatters)
- ISoMH Educational Network (5 chatters)
- DDP Radio (5 chatters)
- Juneau Xena (5 chatters)
- David and Wes (4 chatters)
- Barbershop Sports (4 chatters)
- Big Brother Spoilers By Mike (4 chatters)
- Feldman World Group (4 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (4 chatters)
- Nerdy 30s (4 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio (4 chatters)
- The Ron and Don Show (4 chatters)
- ViktorAurelius (4 chatters)
- Promoting Positive Art Expressions (3 chatters)
- patriots united (3 chatters)
- Beyond the Airwaves TIP (3 chatters)
- Dave in the City (3 chatters)
- BOLD MOVERS RADIO NETWORK (3 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (3 chatters)
- KDCL Media (2 chatters)
- KLJN 107 7 (2 chatters)
- Golden Rose Psychic Radio (2 chatters)
- illblogradio (2 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (2 chatters)
- BFD Fantasy Football (2 chatters)
- BLACK SATIN RADIO LIVE (2 chatters)
- Pick6Mag (2 chatters)
- The Soon2BeCatLady Show (2 chatters)
- THE TAILGATE ZONE (2 chatters)
- Talk2Q (2 chatters)
- The Larry Love Show (2 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (2 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (2 chatters)
- Opulent Network (2 chatters)
- Ordinarywmn (1 chatters)
- Non Partisan Liberty For all (1 chatters)
- Love Productions (1 chatters)
- TJMorrisETRadio (1 chatters)
- RLwRT (1 chatters)
- Swaggercountdown (1 chatters)
- Talk Radio 49 (1 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (1 chatters)
- Interface (1 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (1 chatters)
- Delicious Talk (1 chatters)
- Diehard Sports Radio (1 chatters)
- Dragon vs Dragon (1 chatters)
- Xclusive Jamz Nation (1 chatters)
- Yo Momma Black (1 chatters)