SORT BY Relevancy
Congress is broken, and it cannot fix itself. If we begin with that basic fact, it seems clear: Our Republic can only be saved by We, the People.
Tonight on The Middle Ground, we'll talk to a team of activists lead by Coffee Party founding member Ryan Clayton about why they believe a Constituional Amendment to overturn Citizens United is the best path forward. As we speak, Lawrence Lessig is drafting the language to be introduced in state legislatures across the United States, calling for an Article 5 Convention to address the issue of money in politics.
Current law, as decreed by the Supreme Court in the 2010 "Citizens United" decision, calls for unlimited spending by multi-national corporations to influence our elections, and thereby the laws we live by in the United States of America. The Court has said they would welcome disclosure laws, but Congress is too divided to enact such laws, in part due to cynical hyper-partisanship, in part due to the fact that members of Congress from both parties are reluctant to change a system that put them in power. And yet, so many in Congress say they feel like hostages to fundraising. What can we do to rescue them from this corruption? Keep pressing for disclosure laws? Wait until the next election and "throw the bums out?" Or, if the problem is the corrupt system, and not the well-meaning individuals we send to Washington, perhaps our guests are right in saying a Constitutional Amendment is the only way to free the elected, and save the Republic.
Presented by Coffee Party USA, "The Middle Ground" covers a variety of topics with a trans-partisan approach with an eye to finding the place where the two major political parties share that 'middle ground.' Co-hosted by award-winning filmmaker Eric Byler (center-left perspective) and political author Michael Charney (center-right perspective).
Guests: Dawn Wildman, co-founder of CURE, Citizens United for Responsible Education.
Alice Linahan of Voices Empower will also join us.
We will discuss the group's mission and projects.
Please support our friends: THE BOOKS OF AARON CLAREY (CAPTAIN CAPITALISM) CUBANOS IN WISCONSIN BY SILVIO CANTO JR
BLOG TALK RADIO went down right before our show was to begin. We started half an hour late, which means there is radio silence. We will reschedule with our guest, Prof. Irving Joyner.
Since the 2008 election, the Supreme Court has issued two mammoth decrees that impact our democracy. On Jan. 21, 2010, Citizens United radically expanded the influence of money on elections, and today's 5-4 decision to undermine The Voting Rights Act of 1965 will radically curtail the influence of People on elections. Tonight on the Middle Ground, we'll talk about what happens next.
The Moral Monday protests in North Carolina provide a glimpse of what could spread throughout the nation if lawmakers continue to follow the Supreme Court's agenda: less power for People, more power for profiteers. Our special guest tonight is Irving Joyner, professor of law at the North Carolina Central University School of Law. Many are saying after today's ruling that the Civil Rights Movement must begin again. If so, it is already well under way down here. Let's talk about the The Voting Rights Act, and what its effective repeal, coupled with Citizens United, means for our democracy tonight on The Middle Ground. We love our callers: 646-929-2495.
MA State Sen. James Eldridge is beyond disappointed at the Supremes' Citizens United ruling. He's beyond mad. He's at doing things to correct it. He joins us to speak about three legislative tacks he's taking — more disclosure for political contributions, shareholder notification of political ads, and a call for Congress to send a Constitutional amendment to states for ratification declaring free speech for people and not corporations.
Michael Charney and Eric Byler talked about the July 24, 2012 US Senate hearing on "Citizens United" just a few hours after the hearing ended. They also discussed the outsize influence that the gun lobby has on American policy. Charney, a moderate Republican took a lot of heat for this piece which uses satire to criticize the electioneering and fund-raising tactics of the National Rifle Association.
We'll look at the issue of money in politics through a trans-partisan lens. Do tactics bother us more when "they" do it than when "we" do it? Is there a role of humor and satire can in politics, even on the explosive issues such as "arms control."
Presented by Coffee Party USA, "The Middle Ground" is co-hosted by award-winning filmmaker Eric Byler and political author Michael Charney, the show airs every Tuesday 8-9 PM EST/5-6 PM PST.
The Real Citizens UNITED
Tonight we will be calling and taking calls from people everywhere to tell us their stories and how the sad state of this Nation has affected their lives.
If you want to take part you can call (424) 675-8317, you can also contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and telephone number and I will call you, or leave a message on facebook.
Josh Orton of Progressives United explains the delusional decision making process that led to the Citizens United decision, how consultants profit from corporate money in politics, anti campaign finance reform lawyers are like Mob lawyers and the bigger reasons the … Continue reading →
Join us for a discussion with Dr. Peter Gabel about the role of law in shaping popular consciousness and how best to use it to bring about progressive social change.
Dr. Gabel is former president of New College of California and was for thirty years a law professor at New College’s public-interest law school. He is Editor-At-Large of Tikkun magazine, a co-founder of the Critical Legal Studies movement in legal scholarship, and the author of many articles on law, politics, and social change. He is president of the Arlene Francis Center for Spirit, Art, and Politics in Santa Rosa, California, and the author of two books, The Bank Teller and Other Essays on the Politics of Meaning, and the recently released Another Way of Seeing: Essays on Transforming Law, Politics, and Culture. Dr. Gabel has written more than a dozen articles in law journals such as the Harvard Law Review and Texas Law Review, focusing on the role of law in shaping popular consciousness and on how law can best be used to bring about progressive social change. He lives with his partner Lisa Jaicks, a union organizer with Unite Here, and their son Sam, in San Francisco.
Ian Millhiser of the Center For American Progress explained why the McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission case could destroy what little remains of real campaign finance reform, what plutocrats want to give unlimited money into political campaigns, what is the distinction … Continue reading →
Join us for a talk with genderqueer activist and writer Jacob Tobia about his work for justice in LGBTQ policy issues and youth activism in building the grassroots movement for LGBTQ rights and equality.
You can read more about LGBTQ issues from Jacob Tobia at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacob-tobia/ and http://mic.com/profiles/30957/jacob-tobia
Join us for a discussion on indigenous rights with Alyssa Macy of the International Indian Treaty Council (IITC), an organization of Indigenous Peoples from North, Central, South America, the Caribbean and the Pacific working for the Sovereignty and Self Determination of Indigenous Peoples and the recognition and protection of Indigenous Rights, Treaties, Traditional Cultures and Sacred Lands. Alyssa has over 15 years of political experience at the grassroots, national and international levels. She is working to connect Treaty Issues to the work of the Pacific Northwest Social Forum and to engage Indigenous Peoples from the region.
To learn more about the International Indian Treaty Council, visit www.iitc.org.
For information about the Pacific Northwest Social Forum, visit www.pnwsf.org.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (498 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (86 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (57 chatters)
- The Portal (28 chatters)
- thelordshour (27 chatters)
- Tha Boxing Voice Radio Show (26 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (21 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (20 chatters)
- SpeakEasy Cafe (14 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (14 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (14 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (13 chatters)
- in5d (11 chatters)
- Lets talkXXXGod is not Religious (11 chatters)
- DYNASTY NETWORK 1382 (7 chatters)
- Sweet Psychic (7 chatters)
- The Rebecca Juro Show (7 chatters)
- Body of Christ (6 chatters)
- The One People Oneness Radio (6 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (6 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (6 chatters)
- TXHXOXRX MINISTRY RADIO NETWORK (6 chatters)
- Whispers from Heaven (5 chatters)
- The Keys107 (4 chatters)
- Cage Side Submissions (4 chatters)
- Diary of A Psalmist (4 chatters)
- Living Astrology (3 chatters)
- HOV Radio (3 chatters)
- iCandiRadio (3 chatters)
- Be Not Deceived Radio (3 chatters)
- Bill Murray (3 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (3 chatters)
- The Tailgate Show (3 chatters)
- The Voice of Leadership (3 chatters)
- Rifleman (3 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (3 chatters)
- Stilettos And Convos (3 chatters)
- Random Rants (3 chatters)
- Trek Talking (3 chatters)
- WHTP Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Prophecy at the Midnight Hour (2 chatters)
- MMA Jam (2 chatters)
- Move to Amend (2 chatters)
- My Old Catholic Radio (2 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (2 chatters)
- Lesbian Love Talk (2 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (2 chatters)
- SiS NSpirit (2 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (2 chatters)
- Sportscolumndotcom (2 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (2 chatters)
- DA PUTER SHACK KARAOKE RADIO (2 chatters)
- Conservative Report (2 chatters)
- Contending 4 Truth Radio (2 chatters)
- Bishop Maurice L Irvin (2 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (2 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (2 chatters)
- dtm radio (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (2 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (2 chatters)
- HannaproDiscus (2 chatters)
- GRANNY GANJA (1 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (1 chatters)
- carsonscorner (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Angel Heart Radio (1 chatters)
- Cowboy Wisdom Radio (1 chatters)
- El Maat (1 chatters)
- ElijahFireRadio (1 chatters)
- FanSportsandPolitics (1 chatters)
- Station IWDM (1 chatters)
- Tarhaka (1 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (1 chatters)
- Men Lets Talk (1 chatters)
- Midwest LSA Expo 2014 (1 chatters)
- Positively Incorrect (1 chatters)
- Real1Talk1 (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- YBP (1 chatters)
- The Liberal Redneck (1 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (1 chatters)
- mashahba (0 chatters)