SORT BY Relevancy
Gary Allen has run the Boston Marathon many times, he knows all the officials of the BAA and he has access most of us could only dream of. He's on today to talk about where he was, what he saw and where he'll be in April 2014. James Winston is a detective with the Chicago Police Department's bomb and arson unit. James is also an active marathon runner. James talks to us about his impressions of the blast, our safety and his outlook on the sport.
The Total Tutor will interview om Derderian, author of The Boston Marathon: A Celebration of the World’s Premier Race.
om Derderian (1949-) is a coach, author and journalist. As a high school senior in Milford, he was accepted to Boston University, Northeastern, and UMass. Having won his school conference championship in the mile, he was a credible candidate for a spot on the cross-country and track teams at any of the three, but chose University of Massachusetts in Amherst and graduated in 1973 with a degree in English Literature and Journalistic Studies. He ran on the varsity track and cross country teams there. He ran a 4:25 mile and competed in the steeplechase.
A running success both on and off the roads, Tom's accomplishments include running in the Olympic trials in both 1972 and 1976, numerous New England road championships, a 2:19:04 Boston Marathon in 1975.
Derderian was in third place at the the 1981 Portsmouth (NH) Marketplace 10K, with the first two runners out of sight. When he came to an unmarked intersection, he took a wrong turn and brought a large pack of several hundred runners off course with him adding about two minutes to the course. The pack approached the finish line from the wrong direction, and the race officials had to reverse the finish line after the first two runners finished.
Derderian worked for Nike in the 1970s and 80s in product development and design. He earned several U.S. patents for his creative work in footwear and apparel.
Tom Derderian has been cross-country chairman for the USA Track and Field New England Association and vice president of the organization. Tom is a senior writer for New England Runner magazine. His work has appeared in Runner's World, Running Times, Marathon and Beyond, Track and Field News, and other running publications.
The Boston Marathon is our Super Bowl. One way or another, you have to earn your way in - whether it's via qualifying or fundraising. Each year Boston welcomes first time Boston runners and you'll hear from 4 of them on this show. You'll be amazed to hear about their path to Boston. None of them started as runners and they each have a remarkable journey to this start line. We'll also hear from them about the advice they're getting, plus we have 4 Boston Marathon trivia questions. Listen in and be inspired as Heather Melito Dezan, Deborah Volin, Tim Christoni and Dennis Lebman share their stories.
in Self Help
Dave McGillivray is the Race Director of the BAA Boston Marathon and has directed many of the country’ most prestigious races such as the 2004 and 2008 US Women’s Olympic Marathon Trials, the TD Bank Beach to Beacon 10K, the Mt. Washington Road Race, the Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, the Run for the Dream in Williamsburg, Va. and now the famous New Balance Falmouth Road Race on Cape Cod. Dave translates his extraordinary life journeys and athletic achievements into life lessons in a motivational presentation entitled “Defining Moments.”
That 80-day trek in 1978 across the United States led McGillivrary to a life of pushing himself both mentally and physically. He addresses audiences with a motivational account about what’s possible if you believe in yourself and your own ability to do the seemingly insurmountable. Dave McGillivray has inspired thousands of people, of all ages and backgrounds, to be their best and to pursue their dreams.
For more information visit: http://www.dmsesports.com
Click to Tweet @DMSESports
This week, Roundtable with Stephanie Robinson takes on the Boston Marathon Bombings and the age-old question of security vs. liberty. At the Roundtable are Juliette Kayyem, columnist for the Boston Globe and a mainstay on CNN throughout its coverage of the events; Senator for Massachusetts William “Mo” Cowan; Eric Hauser, democratic strategist and owner of the progressive communications firm, the Hauser Group; and Harvard Law Professor Ronald Sullivan.
Is there really such a thing as national security? What are our privacy rights as we grapple with the threat of domestic terror? Did the incident leave public officials wishing for some absent tool of government to improve safety now or in the future?
Roundtable guests take on these questions and more, all while listeners ask questions and share their experiences about the bombing and its aftermath. Time to gather at the Roundtable as Stephanie Robinson leads the discussion on hot topics, deep talk and a little bit of uplift. Roundtable with Stephanie Robinson...pull up a chair.
Join me on this special episode of Own Your Life as we reflect and remember the Boston Marathon Bombing of 2013. Special guest callers will include runners from last year's race, Becca Pizzi and Ken Doucette. Rick Pizzi of Pizzi Farms in Waltham, Mass will be joining the discussion. What lessons have we learned in the years that followed? We will discuss the resilient nature of the people of Boston and how this tragedy brought a community and a nation together to become Boston Strong. We will also discuss the impact of the bombings on security measures at different venues. We will describe how people can be aware of their surroundings during large events. I will also give some of my reflections from my crisis response to Boston during the bombings.
On the eve of The Boston Marathon, our guest Geoff Smith 2 X Winner reflects on past achievements as a World Class runner and the state of running today. What does The Boston Marathon mean to him, given the tragic attack on America’s most important Marathon?
Geoff Smith was the man to beat at all the major races back in the early 80’s, having been edged out by Rod Dixon at the New York Marathon in 1983 by a mere 8 seconds after leading the race for 26 miles. He won Boston handily in both 1984 and 1985, a true running legend with a lot to share. This is a show you don’t want to miss!
Gary Allen has run the Boston Marathon more than 20 times. He's run a sub 3:00 hour marathon in 5 different decades which makes him one of a very few people on the planet with this amazing accomplishment. Listen in as Gary talks about Boston, his remarkable training course, a long time friendship with Joan Benoit, races he manages and many other stories about running marathons.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (498 chatters)
- John Baptist (86 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (36 chatters)
- The Lions are Out the Cage (29 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (25 chatters)
- Jennifer Hoffman (23 chatters)
- Curious Times (22 chatters)
- canadianglen (21 chatters)
- Diva of DOOL (18 chatters)
- Aquarian Radio (17 chatters)
- thelordshour (17 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (14 chatters)
- DynastySoundtrack (13 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (13 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (12 chatters)
- ViktorAurelius (12 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (11 chatters)
- The J Ril Show (10 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (9 chatters)
- MCMJimmy (9 chatters)
- Odwirafo (9 chatters)
- Dr Pat Holliday (9 chatters)
- Canadian Motocross Weekly (9 chatters)
- Blasturthoughts (9 chatters)
- Bamabird29 (8 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (8 chatters)
- Hex Education (8 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio (8 chatters)
- The Ron and Don Show (8 chatters)
- Get Real LOL uncensored reality tv (7 chatters)
- in5d (7 chatters)
- ISoMH Educational Network (7 chatters)
- Juneau Xena (7 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (7 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (7 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (7 chatters)
- BFD Fantasy Football (6 chatters)
- Coach Khayr (6 chatters)
- David and Wes (6 chatters)
- Metaphysical and Spiritual Chat (6 chatters)
- thedean (6 chatters)
- SURN Host (6 chatters)
- TonyWolfPaw (5 chatters)
- Ms KiKi (5 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (5 chatters)
- eWrestling Radio (5 chatters)
- fairtax4ca (4 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (4 chatters)
- Bards Logic Political Talk (4 chatters)
- Metaphysics and Awareness (4 chatters)
- illblogradio (4 chatters)
- SUPER HOST (4 chatters)
- The Mirror Show (4 chatters)
- Sherry Andrea (3 chatters)
- TJMorrisETRadio (3 chatters)
- The Huddle 3 (3 chatters)
- Golden Rose Psychic Radio (3 chatters)
- KDCL Media (3 chatters)
- KLJN 107 7 (3 chatters)
- MASTERTEACHER33 (3 chatters)
- Liberal Dan Radio (3 chatters)
- Opulent Network (3 chatters)
- patriots united (3 chatters)
- Beyond the Airwaves TIP (3 chatters)
- Feldman World Group (3 chatters)
- G Konsciousness Radio (2 chatters)
- Diehard Sports Radio (2 chatters)
- Dave in the City (2 chatters)
- Big Brother Spoilers By Mike (2 chatters)
- Pick6Mag (2 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (2 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (2 chatters)
- Ordinarywmn (2 chatters)
- Jay Cat Morris (2 chatters)
- Winning America Back (2 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (2 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (2 chatters)
- The Soon2BeCatLady Show (2 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (2 chatters)
- Soul Tree Radio X In The Raw (2 chatters)
- The Larry Love Show (2 chatters)
- Talk2Q (1 chatters)
- teamgrindhard (1 chatters)
- The Hilltop Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (1 chatters)
- SUBCONSCIOUS CHANNEL (1 chatters)
- sun752 (1 chatters)
- Swaggercountdown (1 chatters)
- Talk Radio 49 (1 chatters)
- Xclusive Jamz Nation (1 chatters)
- Jay King Network (1 chatters)
- Mad Women of Smoking Hot Politics (1 chatters)
- Marti Oakley (1 chatters)
- Lennis (1 chatters)
- NDB Media (1 chatters)
- Nerdy 30s (1 chatters)
- Sh Moore (1 chatters)
- RLwRT (1 chatters)
- Red Broward (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Barbershop Sports (1 chatters)
- 12kyle (1 chatters)
- AmericanMuslim360 (1 chatters)
- Dont Tread On Us (1 chatters)