SORT BY Relevancy
Sunny Frazier trained as a journalist and wrote for a city newspaper, military and law enforcement publications. After working 17 years with the Fresno Sheriff's Department, 11 spent as Girl Friday with an undercover narcotics team, it dawned on her that mystery writing was her real calling. Both “Fools Rush In” and “Where Angels Fear” are based on actual cases with a bit of astrology, a habit Frazier has developed over the past 42 years. To learn more, go to http://www.sunnyfrazier.com
Here are the resources Kori mentioned:
www.sumome.com - Easily gather emails to build your list, create dynamic shqre buttons, use a heat map and page analyzer, and more. A bunch of free tools!
www.booklaunch.io - Book landing pages - Be sure to get the code from the Back Porch Writer website, so you can try the premium features. The basics are free.
www.lacbook.com - Marketing template for writers - Free tool
Finelines.org - Summer Writing Camp
If you know about author fairs in your area, please share them with us via info(at)backporchwriter.com
John Himmelman is an author/illustrator of nearly 80 books for children and books (for grown up kids) on various nature topics. He graduated School of Visual Arts in 1981, with his first book "Talester the Lizard" published later that year. Talester came about as a final assignment to create a story in his children's book illustration class. His teacher, Dale Payson, liked it enough to show to her editor at Dial - and thus began a career that continues today.
Himmelman's children's book genres range from whimsical to natural history. He is a naturalist, involved in many organizations where he gives lectures and leads trips in search of exciting flora and fauna (it all excites him). He strives to incorporate his interests with his career as an writer and illustrator because... it just makes both more fun. Sometimes, though, he just wants to make the reader laugh.
Nicole Murray is a creative writer by passion, training, and profession. She is a Columbia College graduate with a degree in Fiction Writing and Marketing. Nicole’s dual Gemini personality helps her pursue creative writing as a personal profession.Nicole explores the creative landscape of the mind to craft fiction out of real emotion. She currently writes short stories, novels, poems, and screen plays. Autumn’s Child is her first novel.
About The Book
"I am hurting. Fractured in places stitches can't heal." Autumn’s Child tells the desperate story of Layla, as a young and naive twelve year-old girl. Over ten critical years, her life quickly changes like the colors of the trees in autumn. The accidental death of her parents forces her to abandon her religious, middle-class lifestyle. She moves to the inner city of Chicago with her grandmother and aunt, her only living relatives. Layla tries to approach her new life with optimism, but the perfections of her past life haunt her tormented journey. After coming to grips with the reality over the years that her only aunt despises her, Layla soon discovers that she may secretly hold the keys to helping her aunt’s diminishing health in her hands. Layla’s faith and sanity are continuously tested as she matures throughout each season of her life. She stumbles through her newfound reality while learning how to play the distinct set of cards she’s been dealt. Layla’s neighbor and best friend, Shay, helps guide her from adolescence into adulthood. Autumn’s Child chronicles a life on the opposite side of the coin; where friendships grow out of tragedy, and the pressure of a marginalized life weighs heavily on pure souls. Layla must make many compromising decisions, all while perpetually asking the reader, What would you do?
Their mission is simple:
1. We aim to transform the cultural meaning of princesses and princes into positive role models who take action to protect living beings and the planet for future generations.
2. We seek to promote greater racial, cultural, and gender inclusivity. We expand the cultural representation of beauty by including different size princesses and princes, as well as those with disabilities.
3. To produce high quality educational tools that are entertaining. Our goal is to utlilize multimedia platforms to educate readers and users about current global issues and how we can all be part of the solution.
4. Our stories promote greater awareness of the environment and aim to advance children’s knowledge in STEM subjects (sciences, technology, engineering, mathematics).
5. Our stories combine teaching ethical principals with the practical imperatives of helping parents, teachers, and children meet Common Core State Standards.
Or, is it? Join the cnversation and tell me what you think. Is the world ready for The Guardian Princesses?
Our guest wasn't able to join Kori today. Instead, Kori discussed NaNoWriMo 2014, being a reformed pantser, and her upcoming virtual launch party for Dante, her first children's book.
The Dec. 23rd date that she mentioned has been filled.
She's accepting guests for Jan-March 2015, so get in touch via the Back Porch Writer website. Kori also is lining up a series of Sunday seminars for Scribe Talk. Check the website for more information.
If you're curious about publishing trends, check out Publishingtrends.com
Thanks for joining us!
Nancy Lynn Jarvis was a Santa Cruz, California, Realtor for twenty-five years but was having so much fun writing that she let her license lapse in May of 2013.
After earning a BA in behavioral science from San Jose State University, she worked in the advertising department of the San Jose Mercury News. A move to Santa Cruz meant a new job as a librarian and later a stint as the business manager of Shakespeare/Santa Cruz. Nancy's work history reflects her philosophy: people should try something radically different every few years. Writing is her newest adventure.
She put Regan, Tom , and Dave from the Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries Series on hiatus to write Mags and the AARP Gang, a comedy/adventure about a group of octogenarian would-be bank robbers, but she missed her characters, so they're back to solve another murder in recently released "The Murder House."
Show Time: 9:30 a.m. CDT/ 10:30 a.m. EDT/ 7:30 a.m. PDT/ 8:30 a.m. MDT
Gregory S. Lamb Recently retired from his first profession, now he is a writer with credibility. Basking in the anonymity of his age. Greg is a collector of stories. Many of them are garnered from the people he meets while adventuring near and far.
Greg’s fictional characters are true to life and shape the plots for the novel ideas that burn in his mind. He is an author who must write in order to maintain a happy lifestyle.
The Lamb’s home is Portland, Oregon. Greg and his wife Cindy enjoy spending time with their bulldog, who is being raised by a geriatric Siamese feline. When he isn’t writing, Greg can be found on the sands of northern Oregon’s beaches, where he plays Blue Grass fiddle tunes on his banjo while his dog chases seagulls.
The Lambs have three grown sons. To learn about upcoming releases of Greg’s novels, visit AEC Stellar Publishing, Inc on the web at AECStellar.com.
Be sure to also visit Gregory S. Lamb on Amazon’s Author Central and read what he’s been up to his author blog.
"Sound designers often find themselves alone in old clubs and theaters, usually late at night. Most people aren't aware of this, but these charming venues have lonely corridors and forgotten rooms throughout the building. Each is as dark and full of secrets as any ancient dungeon. Working behind the scenes, it was my job to crawl through them. Better yet, it was a thrill to explore them.
But I’m not out to convince readers about the supernatural, or even impress them with my knowledge of spirits and ghosts. EKKO Mysteries was written for those who enjoy pushing the adventure envelope, one after the other. My intention isn’t to get creepy, but to have fun. Every character in the series—living or not—has a personality, objective, and sense of humor matching his or her historical time frame. Does a ghost always have to be a roguish demon? Me thinks not.
The spirits in EKKO don’t do a lot of searching and pondering: they come to life and get in your face. Good, bad, or indifferent. Our leading man, CJ, couldn't be happier about that."
Learn more about Johnny Walker.
Check out Booklaunch.io for incredibly easy-to-create, book landing pages. I'll get the discount code out via a post this week so that you can test the premium features. LOOK for it. You'll be glad you did.
Jenni Wiltz writes fiction and creative nonfiction. She's won national writing awards for romantic suspense and creative nonfiction, and her short fiction has been published in literary journals including Gargoyle and The Portland Review. When she's not writing, she enjoys running and doing genealogical research. She lives in Pilot Hill, California. Find her online at JenniWiltz.com.
The family dynamics are also particularly well-drawn. This is not a faux family that is either too perfect or too ridiculous. The communication between Emma and her family members is believable and genuine. These relationships are what drew me into the story.The quirks and dysfunction are true to life, in a way that I found extremely endearing–and also frustrating. I *cared* about the outcome. I wanted to scream at characters, to shake them: I was invested.
Despite the heavy subject matter (revenge, violence, culture clashes), The Red Road was a quick and satisfyingly intense read. – Sara Strand, Amazon review
Author and teacher, Christine Amsden returns to the Back Porch tonight. We're talking about Gods, Goddesses, and the trouble they cause.
Kori also tells you what you may have missed and who's coming up on Back Porch Writer next!
Join the chat!
Margaret Lukas is an instructor at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. She teaches creative writing in the Writer’s Workshop Program. She received her BFA from UNO’s Writer’s Workshop in 2004. In 2007 Margaret received her MFA from Rainier Writing Workshop in Tacoma, Washington.
She is a recipient of a 2009 Nebraska Art Council Individual Artist Fellowship.
She is a contributor to NEBRASKAland magazine and an editor for the quarterly literary journal, Fine Lines. Her writing also appears online and in the 2012 anthology, On Becoming, published by the University of Nebraska Press.
Her award-winning short story, “The Yellow Bird,” was made into The Yellow Bird, a short film and premiered at the Cannes Film Festival.
Farthest House is her first novel.
Join Host Live Chats
- wheresobamasbirthcertificateXcom (56 chatters)
- Yada (35 chatters)
- thelordshour (22 chatters)
- Deliverance Today Pastor John Kyle (20 chatters)
- HOV Radio (19 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (11 chatters)
- Native Trailblazers (10 chatters)
- Psychic Tapestry (10 chatters)
- Straitway (8 chatters)
- Bellesprit (8 chatters)
- Christian Farm and Homestead (8 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (7 chatters)
- The Psychic Viewpoint (7 chatters)
- The Portal (6 chatters)
- Bill Murray (6 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (5 chatters)
- Caribbean Radio Show CRS Radio (5 chatters)
- MASTERTEACHER33 (5 chatters)
- The Watchman Is216 (5 chatters)
- World Alliance Radio Network (5 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (3 chatters)
- real talk for real people0 (3 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (3 chatters)
- EPiphany The 4REALRADIONETWORK (2 chatters)
- FWrestling and EFed Guerillas (2 chatters)
- Hezekiah L Montgomery (2 chatters)
- Cross Talk Radio Ministries (2 chatters)
- Matt4America (2 chatters)
- Missouri Grassroots Radio (2 chatters)
- YHWH The TRUE NAME (2 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Twin Radio (2 chatters)
- Underground Professor Radio (1 chatters)
- Universal School Of Thought (1 chatters)
- True Psychics Network (1 chatters)
- WARRIORS IN CHRIST (1 chatters)
- MKSPCG (1 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio (1 chatters)
- In Todays America (1 chatters)
- Red vs Blue (1 chatters)
- Salvation In Jesus Ministry (1 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (1 chatters)
- SportsSanity With King BrocksErock (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- The Emily Pearls Show (1 chatters)
- The Paranormal and The Sacred (1 chatters)
- bridge to Humanity (1 chatters)
- BITEradio me (1 chatters)
- 2TheNcreaseofKnowledgeTruth (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- Andrew Aloha (1 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (1 chatters)
- Fire Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- Enterpraisement Media Group (1 chatters)
- JackNewtown (0 chatters)