SORT BY Relevancy
Tonight at 8pm learn more about William Lambert on The Gist of Freedom as we resume our reading of William Katz's book Breaking The Chains, Chapter 12 "Black Militias"
William Lambert created the “African American Mysteries; the Order of the Men of Oppression,” a complicated set of rituals that protected the very existence of the Underground Railroad.
Lambert was a friend and confidant of well known abolitionist John Brown, who Lambert insisted was a sane and reasonable man who voluntarily sacrificed himself to fan the flames of liberty.
Blackburn, Thornton and Ruth (or Lucie)
The Blackburns successfully and bravely escaped slavery from Louisville, KY. They had been settled in Detroit, Michigan, for two years when, in 1833, Kentucky slave hunters captured and arrested the couple. The Blackburns were jailed but allowed visitors, which provided the opportunity for Ruth to exchange her clothes - and her incarceration - with Mrs. George French; Ruth escaped to Canada. The day before Thornton was to be returned to Kentucky, the African American community rose up in protest. While the commotion was going on, Sleepy Polly and Daddy Walker helped Thornton to escape to Canada. The commotion turned into a two day riot and the sheriff was killed. It was the first race riot in Detroit, and afterward the first Riot Commission was formed in the U.S. Once in Canada, Thornton designed, built, and operated Toronto's first horse-drawn carriage hackney cab and cab company.
Join The Gist of Freedom as we welcome Historian and Author, William Katz. Mr. Katz will discuss his latest book Black Indians and the Afro Mexicans in who fought in the Mexican American War like Colonel Carmen Amelia Robles. Mexico, what is now known as Texas was a safe haven for escaping enslaved Africans from America.
Learn More about William L Katz's 40 books at http://williamlkatz.com!
Author, William L. Katz is the radio interview guest on The Gist of Freedom's American History through the Black Experience series, www.blackHistoryBLOG.com, on May 8 at 8 p.m. EDT. William L. Katz will discuss his book Black Indians as it relates to African and Indian resistance to colonization and slavery. ------------ Don't forget to VOTE TO SAVE THE CARTER G. WOODSON HOME, FOUNDER OF BLACK HISTORY MONTH!! https://www.preservedmv.com/ ------------ Topics -Republic of Palmares, Genga
Santa Fe statue The Black Seminole Mexican President Vicente Guererro,
Chapter 8 and 9, Runaways and Maroons; Revolts in the Age of Revolution,
Breaking The Chains by William L. Katz "will force many readers to reexamine their assumptions about American history… Young readers will be fascinated and better informed for having experienced this book,” wrote School Library Journal. Striking photographs highlight this unknown heritage.”
— Black Child Magazine, February/March 1997
The story of Maroon communities in the Americas is one of the most important and fascinating chapters in the history of New World societies. However, it is a story that is not well known. Scholarly research and forensic archaeology are increasingly uncovering the evidence of Maroon settlements that have been a part of the US from the 1600s until the 1900s, but were hidden in plain view. Not only is little known about Maroon encampments established throughout the southern US, but our history books include little trace of the agency of Africans, who were forcibly brought to the US and enslaved, but employed military and diplomatic strategies in international relations, represented Native nations in negotiations with the US government, launched cottage industries, and built lasting communities long before the end of the Civil War.
Over Two hundred years ago, while the elite in New Orleans were making their usual preparations for Mardi Gras. Plantation owners were planning all-night parties, and the women of the house were looking forward to elaborate masquerades and balls.
What they didn't know is while they were planning for their annual carnival festivities, their slaves were planning a little something of their own.
On one fateful night, 500 armed slaves rose up from the plantations and set out to conquer the city.
I went to the slaver and inquired what was her price for me. She said a thousand dollars.... I opened a regular place of business...
During this time I had found it politic to go shabbily dressed, and to appear to be very poor, but to pay my mistress for my services promptly. I kept my money hid, never venturing to put out a penny, nor to let any body but my wife know that I was making any. The thousand dollars was what I supposed my mistress would ask for me, and so I determined now what I would do.
I opened a regular place of business, labelled my tobacco in a conspicuous manner with the names of “Edward and Lunsford Lane,” and of some of the persons who sold it for me, — established agencies for the sale in various parts of the State, one at Fayetteville, one at Salisbury, one at Chapel Hill, and so on, — sold my articles from my place of business, and about town, also deposited them in stores on commission, and thus, after paying my mistress for my time, and rendering such support as necessary to my family.
I found in the space of some six or eight years, that I had collected the sum of one thousand dollars.
Listen in as The Gist of Freedom continues The Summer Audio Book Series with William Katz, Breaking The Chains
I could not legally purchase it, and as the laws forbid emancipation except, for “meritorious services.” This done, Mr. Smith endeavored to emancipate me formally, and to get my manumission recorded; I tried also; but the court judged that I had done nothing “meritorious,” and so I remained, nominally only, the slave of Mr. Smith for a year; when, feeling unsafe in that relation, I accompanied him to New York whither he was going to purchase goods, and was there regularly and formally made a freeman, and there my manumission was recorded.
On this episode of Entertainment Zone Radio, Alex welcomes his friend and the show co-host Mr. William T to the show! Mr. William T will co-host here on Entertainment Zone Radio every other Wednesday! The name of this series is going to be Take Down With William T. The question is, what does William plan to take down on EZR?
Today's episode of Take Down With William T, we are going to talk about Christian Music. William will discuss the basic information you should know about christian the history of Christain Music, and we will play some christian music for you to enjoy.
You can call in LIVE at 347-637-2249 dial 1 to discuss what you like about Christian music, or ask questions.
Hosted by Matt G and "Doc" Savage
Join us as Sadie Katz, one of Hollywood's hardest working actresses, returns to At Eye Level. She's been working her butt off for the last year, acting in films such as House of Bad, Chavez: Cage of Glory, Under the Hollywood Sign and Wrong Turn 6 She has also written and acted in the film Scorned and is currently executive producing 13 Girls, which will be coming out in 2015.
To spak live on air with Sadie, call 714-459-3941 or join us in the chatroom.
In August hosts Linda Rez and William Pollard from Wild 4 Washington Wine get "GROOVY" with GRUNER. They head to Austria on The Wine Muse World Tour to taste the Biohof Pratsch Gruner Veltliner.
After Austria, the hosts will return to the States for an interview with Washington winemaker and owner of Syncline Wine, James Mantone.
Grab a glass of Gruner and join them.
Here's a fantastic article about Gruner on Wine Folly.
Hello family, this is your host, Sistah Janice and thank you for listening to The Sunday Drive. I pray that this day has been a blessing to you.
We have a very important and insightful live broadcast for you today, that explores the struggle of, Suicide. Exploring this struggle with us today is the renowned Dr William Paul Butler Sr. A native of Dallas, Tx, however now resides in Knoxville Tn. He is the Pastor of Rock of Ages Baptist Church as well as hold multiple degrees, which includes a dual Master's of Pastoral Clinical Counseling and Theological Studies, he also holds a Doctorate in Divinty from Christian Bible Institute and Seminary. Dr. Butler has a full bio., on facebook, please feel free to read it. Please tune in if you or a loved one are struggling with this barrier, please tune in, there may be some information for you and please feel free to join in on the conversation.
I would like to say thank you to all of my sponsors and friends on Facebook, twitter, blogtalk, WITA 1490 am and everyone in radio land, thank you and God bless you.
Remember, Sistah Janice loves you, but God loves you best, have a victorious week in Jesus!
Get excited for the next episode of the Pelvic Messenger, Stimulating Science with Dr. Kenneth Peters, on August 21, 2014 (1:30 PM EST).
Dr. Kenneth M. Peters is Professor and Chair of Urology at Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine in Rochester, Michigan. He is also Chair of Urology at Beaumont Health System in Royal Oak, Michigan, and Medical Director of the Women’s Urology Center in Royal Oak, a unique multidisciplinary center dedicated to women with chronic pelvic pain and voiding dysfunction. He graduated with honors from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and earned his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr Peters subsequently completed his training in surgery and urology at William Beaumont Hospital, where he also completed a fellowship in female urology and urodynamics.
Widely recognized as a leader in research, Dr. Peters is internationally known for his work on interstitial cystitis, neuromodulation for voiding dysfunction, nerve rerouting surgery to restore voiding in spina bifida patients, and adult human stem cell injection for stress urinary incontinence.
Dr. Peters is an active and well-respected clinician, educator and researcher. He specializes in the treatment of voiding dysfunction and female urology. He has written numerous peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters on incontinence, interstitial cystitis and neuromodulation. He has twice won the Society for Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine & Urogenital Reconstruction (SUFU) clinical research award.
Join Men and Women gifted to share the word of God in a rich and clear presentation of what it means to know God and to understand how to share his word and his blessing to others.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (77 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (68 chatters)
- Tha Boxing Voice Radio Show (27 chatters)
- Namaste Farms (26 chatters)
- MN.B.R.T. (24 chatters)
- The Oracle Speaks (24 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (23 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (22 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (21 chatters)
- Healing Light Radio (15 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (14 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (13 chatters)
- SpeakEasy Cafe (12 chatters)
- BerniceBennett (11 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (11 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (10 chatters)
- MHHS Eyes Wide Open (10 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (10 chatters)
- eWrestling Radio (8 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (7 chatters)
- Cage Side Submissions (7 chatters)
- Shifting Times Radio (7 chatters)
- StarChasr (7 chatters)
- The Seika Network (6 chatters)
- Rifleman (6 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (6 chatters)
- Contending 4 Truth Radio (5 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (5 chatters)
- EnlightenmentEvolution Network (5 chatters)
- Erotic Talk Radio (5 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (5 chatters)
- Live with Shirley (5 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (5 chatters)
- Jamie Roxx (4 chatters)
- Raw Sex (4 chatters)
- Ohio Exopolitics (4 chatters)
- drkate (4 chatters)
- dtm radio (4 chatters)
- Bill Murray (4 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (3 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (3 chatters)
- Fantasy Big Dogs Radio (3 chatters)
- Packers Talk Radio Network (3 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (3 chatters)
- Relationships360 (3 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (3 chatters)
- Living a Richer Life (3 chatters)
- MASTERTEACHER33 (3 chatters)
- The Liberal Redneck (3 chatters)
- The Crystal Show (3 chatters)
- WHTP Radio Network (3 chatters)
- The Love Zone USA (2 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (2 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (2 chatters)
- The Captain0 (2 chatters)
- Station IWDM (2 chatters)
- Stilettos And Convos (2 chatters)
- Talking Terror Presents (2 chatters)
- men empowered (2 chatters)
- Growl Radio (2 chatters)
- Mystic Light and Shadows (2 chatters)
- NewMusicInferno (2 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (2 chatters)
- Game Night (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (2 chatters)
- Radio Akasha (2 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (2 chatters)
- Enough Iz Enough (2 chatters)
- DungeonCrawlersRadio (2 chatters)
- eDraft Sports Radio (2 chatters)
- Dialysis Talk (2 chatters)
- Big Ticket Talk wX The Curtsy Crew (2 chatters)
- Art Bulla (2 chatters)
- ArtSees Diner Radio (1 chatters)
- Ask the Theologian (1 chatters)
- Barbershop Sports (1 chatters)
- BBQSS Sports Network (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- Dollhouse Radio by India Morel (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Enterpraisement Media Group (1 chatters)
- G Konsciousness Radio (1 chatters)
- Iconici Radio MMA (1 chatters)
- Rapture Ready Radio (1 chatters)
- Omega Man Channel 2 (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (1 chatters)
- GRANNY GANJA (1 chatters)
- King Jordan TALK SHOW (1 chatters)
- LadiesTellAll (1 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio (1 chatters)
- The Lions are Out the Cage (1 chatters)
- The Program Returns (1 chatters)
- WDC DA MOVEMENT (1 chatters)