SORT BY Relevancy
in Real Estate
The new Jim Crow has nothing to do with "race" or the "sex" of a person...........the new Jim Crow to a very high degree is "Law Illiteracy". Today on "It's My House" we shall discuss how being illiterate in "basic law" can lead to many problems including incarseration, evictions, forclosure, divorces, etc. etc.
Education is power and we shall give people the basics on what they need to do to empower themselves to reverse any negative situation that they may be involved in.
"Chapter 6: The Fire This Time raises the issue of present and future approaches to dealing with the New Jim Crow crisis. The chapter's title is based on James Baldwin's seminal forewarning The Fire Next Time. Alexander believes that pushing reforms through a broad-based social coalition, as has been done in the past, while possibly helpful, will not be enough, because "a new system of racialized social control" will eventually appear, assuming forms impossible to predict now. If a movement emerges to confront mass incarceration, it will have to cure the underlying causes and ills in society at large, which needs to "cultivate an ethic of genuine care" for every individual, regardless of ethnic, gender, class, immigration status, or any other consideration." (from Wikipedia)
This edition of the New Jim Crow RadioBlog is presented in cooperation with the Unitarian Universalist Church of Annapolis, where Rev. John T. Crestwell, Jr., one of this week's guests, is As
Tonight we will be discussing the New Jim Crow and its effects on our society. Also the week in review, sports highs and lows. Current events. And of course the GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN. Yes we will be going in hard on this one. Check us out tonight @ 7:30. Real Talk all the Time.
Many members and friends of Unitarian Universalist congregations are reading The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander, the current Common Read of the Unitarian Universalist Association. Over the course of eight episodes, this radioblog is a chapter-by-chapter exploration of the themes of the book, from the perspectives of scholars, actvists, lawyers and people of faith grappling with Alexander's central message: "By targeting black men through the War on Drugs and decimating communities of color, the U.S. criminal justice system functions as a contemporary system of racial control -- relegating milions to permanent second-class status -- even as it formally adheres to the principle of colorblindness."
The hosts for the New Jim Crow Radioblog are Carlton Elliott Smith, one of the ministers of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington (VA), and Alex Boston, one of its members.
The New Jim Crow RadioBlog is brought to you by the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington (VA), Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church (Camp Springs, MD), Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church (Burke, VA), All Souls Church, Unitarian (Wash., DC), and the First Unitarian Church of Baltimore.
In this episode, we explore the fifth chapter of Michelle Alexander's book and consider the parallels between the current practice of mass incarceration of black and brown people and the former Jim Crow legal system that effectively made second-class citizens of African Americans.
Campaign to End the New Jim Crow PART II Please join us tonight, April 17, 2014 at 6:30pm EST as we have on the air Miguel Adams from the Campaign to End the New Jim Crow and Baba Ka Sahu out of Philly
Campaign's MISSION " We challenge the culture of racism, repression and retribution that sustains mass incarceration. We seek to remove the structural injustices inflicted on the incarcerated, formerly incarcerated, their families and the communities from which they come. We seek human rights for all members of our society non-violently, in opposition to our current system of justice, which is inherently violent."
Find out mpre, learn new ways to get involved and what you can do right now, no matter where you are or your condition, you can make a difference in this movement!
To call in and speak with the host simply dial 347-857-1759. You also can join us in the Chat Room.
This week's guests:
David Slavin is a member of the UUA Journey Toward Wholeness Transformation Committee. He holds a Ph.D in modern world history and has taught a dozen Adult Religious Education courses on the interaction of race and class.
Wynwood 'Woody' Curry is Clinical & Associate Director of Baltimore Station, an innovative therapeutic residential treatment program supporting veterans and others who are transitioning through the cycle of poverty, addiction and homelessness to self-sufficiency.
Natalie Fenimore is the minister of Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church in Camp Springs, MD and President of the Liberal Religious Educators Association.
Your hosts are Carlton Elliott Smith, one of the ministers of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington (VA), and Alex Boston, one of its members.
The New Jim Crow RadioBlog is brought to you by the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington (VA), Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church (Camp Springs, MD), Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church (Burke, VA), All Souls Church, Unitarian (Wash., DC), the First Unitarian Church of Baltimore, the Unitarian Universalist Church of Annapolis, and the Joseph Priestley District of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
The New Jim Crow is the 2012-2013 UUA Common Read.
"The Cruel Hand" (Chapter 4 in The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander) considers how the criminal justice system operates once a prisoner is released. The legalized discrimination and social stigmatization that follow prevent the formerly incarcerated from re-integrating into society and erode social structures within African-American communities.
Guests this week include:
Kate Wolfson of the Safe and Sound Campaign. Kate is currently working on the Public Safety Compact, a re-entry program in Baltimore providing substance abuse treatment and job services. www.safeandsound.org.
Rev. David Carl Olson, the minister at the First Unitarian Church of Baltimore. www.first unitarian.net
This episode is co-sponsored by the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington and the First Unitarian Church of Baltimore.
SigN o The TimEs w Queen Tahiyrah Chapter 3 from Michelle Alexander New Jim Crow
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (474 chatters)
- NTEB (58 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (50 chatters)
- KNOW THE LEDGE RADIO (41 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (39 chatters)
- MHHS Eyes Wide Open (30 chatters)
- thelordshour (24 chatters)
- Symmetry of Soul (22 chatters)
- Cat Scratch Radio (16 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (16 chatters)
- Dead End Sports (16 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (16 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (13 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (12 chatters)
- Curious Times (11 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (10 chatters)
- Bellesprit (9 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (9 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (9 chatters)
- gamechangersradio (6 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (5 chatters)
- Paranormal Horizons (5 chatters)
- Prophecy Quake (5 chatters)
- SUPER HOST (5 chatters)
- Talking Smooth Jazz (4 chatters)
- Psychic Melinda (4 chatters)
- Pro MMA Now Radio (4 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (4 chatters)
- Paranormal Geeks Radio (4 chatters)
- The Underground Sex Show (4 chatters)
- The Watchman Is216 (4 chatters)
- WYMS Radio (4 chatters)
- Jamie Roxx (4 chatters)
- Main Street Universe (4 chatters)
- drinkfive (4 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (3 chatters)
- Game Centric Radio (3 chatters)
- AACONS (3 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (3 chatters)
- BLACK SATIN RADIO LIVE (3 chatters)
- Body of Christ (3 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (3 chatters)
- Life Conversations (3 chatters)
- Inner Child Radio (3 chatters)
- Hall Issachar Ministries (3 chatters)
- The View from Montana (3 chatters)
- NDB Media (3 chatters)
- The Asylum0 (3 chatters)
- SURN Host (3 chatters)
- Restoring Your Reality (3 chatters)
- Married Men Dont Talk Show (2 chatters)
- Swaggercountdown (2 chatters)
- Real Empowement Talk Live (2 chatters)
- Zaiyahs House (2 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (2 chatters)
- HUGS Radio Show (2 chatters)
- Inspire Radio Network (2 chatters)
- InThePaint (2 chatters)
- Gamer Girls Radio (2 chatters)
- Jay King Network (2 chatters)
- manofgod7 (1 chatters)
- Indy Showcase0 (1 chatters)
- Angel Heart Radio (1 chatters)
- Dollhouse Radio by India Morel (1 chatters)
- The NTuned Show (1 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Non Partisan Liberty For all (1 chatters)
- The Drop Night Show (1 chatters)
- Talk2Q (1 chatters)