SORT BY Relevancy
Dating violence often starts with teasing and name calling. These signs typically start early in the relationship. These behaviors are often thought to be a “normal” part of a relationship. But these behaviors can set the stage for more serious violence like physical assault and rape.Join us as we discuss teen dating violence, the statistics and signs, the long term impact and what can be done to prevent this fromhappening to your child.
GUEST: MELISSA SEIGEL, Information and Education Coordinator for Mecklenburg County Community Support Services Women’s Commission
February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month and brings programs and presentations to teens across the country with the hope that educating them about what to expect in a healthy relationship will stop the cycle of violence that’s being accepted as normal.
READ MORE DETAILS
HOST WEBSITE: DonnaGore.Com
Dr. Annie, co-host Beth Blake, and Emily Leventhal will be discussing teen dating violence and Emily’s work in educating students in K-12 about the effects of dating violence in all socio-economic demographics. While all schools are required to have anti-bullying policies, many do an inadequate job of communicating and implementing the policy to parents and educators. As a result of this and other social stigmas, teen dating violence is an under-reported crime.
Emily Leventhal is the Middle and High School Education Coordinator for PeaceWorks, the violence prevention education program of the Domestic Violence Crisis Center in Stamford, CT. She develops curriculum and presents to teens in Fairfield, County, CT about forming and maintaining healthy and satisfying relationships.
Join us Sunday evening, February 17 from 8 pm to 9 pm LIVE for a conversation on how to prevent teen dating violence and help young people promote healthy relationships.
Our guests include Jasmine Ceja, National Youth Coordinator for Break the Cycle, actor Jordan Tierney, and former teacher and Style Mag VM host E. Vincent Martinez. BG Media Executive Producer Andrea Berry will host the program.
To listen to our town hall meeting, call 914-338-0347.
Click here for information on our teen dating violence prevention music video project with singer Christi Paul.
On this episode of "Speak Out LOUD with Eliska Hahn" Eliska welcomes Domestic Violence advocate and author Toni Sacher to discuss the importance of education and stopping destructive relationship patterns as teens in dating relationships. February is National Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month and Toni and Eliska will help you discover what you can do in your own home, school, community, etc. to help stop teen dating violence before it begins. Also, if you are currently in a violent dating relationship or have a friend, student, child, who is, Toni and Eliska will give links to resources as well as useful tips on how to safely get out of the relationship and begin the healing process and will be taking your calls live and answering your questions.
Eliska will also discuss The Pixel Project's "Valentine Against Violence" campaign where you can go to iTunes and download a great cover of Katy Perry's "Firework" by YouTube sensation Peter Hollens. The deluxe download includes the song as well as a Domestic Violence Action Pack. Part of the proceeds from the sale of each download will go to The Pixel Project (www.thepixelproject.net) to fight Violence Against Women worldwide.
Don't miss the next action packed episode of "Speak Out LOUD with Eliska Hahn" exclusively on BlogTalkRadio!!
in Self Help
After spending 10 years rescuing teenage runaways and prostitutes I've seen a lot of teenagers who have been in abusive relationships. As a mentor with Actor Hill Harper's Manifest Your Destiny Foundation, I mentor teens but giving sessions on dating violence. What better way to BRING BACK SEQ Radio than with a show about Teen Dating Violence? If we know that our teens ACT out what they SEE from adults, then you know this is a show you won't want to miss. This show is for adults, teens, adults with teens, guardians and anyone who works with teenagers in any capacity. Become aware so you can STOP the violence amongst teenagers. THEY are OUR future.
Dating violence can happen among young people, and can affect youth regardless of social, economic, racial, ethnic, gender, or sexual orientation differences. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, girls and women between the ages of 16 and 24 are at greatest risk of becoming domestic violence victims, and experience abuse at a rate three times greater than other groups.
Being a teen means dealing with adult issues such as learning to drive, getting a job. Unfortunately for some, it also means learning how to deal with dating violence.
Teen dating violence can happen to both girls and boys, no matter your social or economic status, your race, or whether or you're straight or gay. Learn the facts about teen dating violence.
Who is affected by dating violence?
Approximately 1 in 5 high school female students say they were physically and/or sexually abused by their dating partner. LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered) teen couples are just as likely as heterosexual couples to be involved in dating violence. 57% of teens say they know of a peer who has been physically, sexually, or verbally abusive to their dating partner. 33% of teens have actually seen the abuse or violence themselves.
Your Teen is Dating . . . Now what do you do?! Today’s teens date very differently than their parents. Dr. Annie, co-host Beth Blake and Mike Domitrz, creator of “HELP! My Teen is Dating. Real Solutions to Tough Conversations,” will present ideas and how-to’s to equip parents with the tools they need to talk to their kids about healthy dating relationships.
Mike Domitrz is a host and creator of “HELP! My Teen is Dating. Real Solutions to Tough Conversations," the award-winning DVD for families. Mike, founder of the DateSafeProject.org, offers a smart approach for teens on dating, sexual decision-making, and safety (including reducing sexual assault and dating violence). Mike has been invited around the globe to share his unique insight and powerful how-to skills. Learn more at www.HelpMyTeenIsDating.com
Join us in part II of our discussion on Teen Dating Violence! Our guest, Ellen Colon-Fields brings a fresh perspective to the conversation that will further expound on what we can do to educate and empower, not just our teens, but parents to become an intergral part of their teen's dating process. Additionally, our special guest, former Relationship Abuse Prevention Program (RAPP) student will share her testimony and present a creative interpretation of her dating experience. Learn how to help teens foster self-esteem, avoid date rape, prevent a bully from becoming a batterer, teach boys how to express their emotions, etc.
SPECIAL GUESTS: DoSomething.org and Liz Claiborne Fight Teen Dating Abuse Grant Winners. Alyssa Korman, Mikala Jennings, and Cheyenne Ruiz.Check out www.loveisnotabuse.com.
SPECIAL GUEST: Beverly M. Black is a professor in the School of Social work at the University of Texas at Arlington. Dr. Black co-authored the book Programs to Reduce Teen Dating Violence and Sexual Assault: Perspectives on What Works with Arlene Weisz.
SPECIAL GUEST: Arlene Weisz, Associate Professor, has been on the faculty of the School of Social Work at Wayne State University since 1995, where she serves as director of the doctoral program. Dr. Weisz co-authored the book Programs to Reduce Teen Dating Violence and Sexual Assault: Perspectives on What Works with Dr Beverly Black.
SPECIAL GUEST: Christina Alex directs Start Strong Bronx (www.startstrongbronx.org). Read her blog of resources for teens and her articles published in Girls’ Life, Washington Monthly, the New York Post and the Philadelphia Inquirer among others at www.christinaalex.com.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (98 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (76 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (44 chatters)
- thelordshour (22 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (19 chatters)
- SasquatchWatch Radio (14 chatters)
- Symmetry of Soul (13 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (12 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (12 chatters)
- Fins Radio (11 chatters)
- LiveParanormal History FM (10 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (8 chatters)
- Rabbi Aryel Nachman (7 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (7 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (7 chatters)
- BITEradio me (6 chatters)
- Random Brain Activity (6 chatters)
- Psychic Melinda (6 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (6 chatters)
- KNOW THE LEDGE RADIO (5 chatters)
- RFB Radio WOW (5 chatters)
- Bill Murray (5 chatters)
- 1twopunch (4 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (4 chatters)
- Cross Talk Radio brother Lawrence (4 chatters)
- Real Talk Radio17 (4 chatters)
- NCI Radio (4 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (4 chatters)
- thedean (3 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (3 chatters)
- Twin Radio (3 chatters)
- WE RESISTERS RADIO (3 chatters)
- Odwirafo (3 chatters)
- Messages From Beyond (3 chatters)
- Krista Dickan (3 chatters)
- Marjorie Cole (3 chatters)
- Prophecy Quake (3 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (3 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (3 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (3 chatters)
- Aquatic Wetline (3 chatters)
- BC Interruption Radio (3 chatters)
- Aaron McCready (3 chatters)
- Bellesprit (3 chatters)
- American Statesman (2 chatters)
- Black FreeThinkers (2 chatters)
- Body of Christ (2 chatters)
- Brighter Business Empower (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- GRANNY GANJA (2 chatters)
- Inspire Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (2 chatters)
- Dead End Sports (2 chatters)
- Pit Bulletin Legal News (2 chatters)
- Life Conversations (2 chatters)
- Moving Train Radio (2 chatters)
- Paranormal Geeks Radio (2 chatters)
- WacoTeaPartyWatchdog (2 chatters)
- wayneG (2 chatters)
- The Hilltop Radio Show (2 chatters)
- The Knicks at Nite Show (2 chatters)
- TopSportsReport (2 chatters)
- The Watchman Is216 (2 chatters)
- The Mompreneur Show (2 chatters)
- The Road Less Traveled (2 chatters)
- True Psychics Network (1 chatters)
- The Madden Voice (1 chatters)
- The Huddle 3 (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- Talk Radio 49 (1 chatters)
- UP AND DOWN MAGAZINE (1 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (1 chatters)
- WitchTalk Radio0 (1 chatters)
- Woman2WomanTalkingToMen (1 chatters)
- WQYB Radio Network (1 chatters)
- YHWH The TRUE NAME (1 chatters)
- Your Enlightenment Zone (1 chatters)
- MMA Jam (1 chatters)
- May We Help You Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Pro MMA Now Radio (1 chatters)
- redmaryland (1 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (1 chatters)
- ROAD2STARDOM RADIO (1 chatters)
- RotoExpertsXcom FantasySports Show (1 chatters)
- Shay Renae and Friends (1 chatters)
- SOUL 1 RADIO (1 chatters)
- SpeakingXOut (1 chatters)
- Survival Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Dominick Calvitto (1 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (1 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Fancalls (1 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (1 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (1 chatters)
- InThePaint (1 chatters)
- Jamie Roxx (1 chatters)
- Indy Showcase0 (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- Bebee and Friends Network (1 chatters)
- Enough Iz Enough (0 chatters)
- The Rush UTEP Miners Radio (0 chatters)