SORT BY Relevancy
Exercise is not a process that needs be eschewed or prevented during pregnancy," says Dr. John Botti, director of maternal-fetal medicine at Penn State Geisinger Health System, who studied the effects of exercise on moderately conditioned pregnant women. "Reasonably performed exercise doesn't appear to cause harm, and may, in fact, have benefits."
The key is finding a reasonable level, and that depends largely on the shape you were in before, the activities your body was comfortable with, and your health during pregnancy. Always check with your doctor or midwife first, but here's food for thought for the novice and the enthusiast, as well as some basic dos and don'ts.
The Novice: Walking and Water Spell R-E-L-I-E-F
"Only 20% to 30% of the population exercises on a regular basis, so the typical pregnant woman hasn't exercised prior to pregnancy," says Bonnie Berk, creator of MOTHERWELL, a pre- and postnatal fitness program offered throughout the United States and abroad.
Still, it's not too late for pregnant women who haven't been consistent exercisers to start now. Although hard data on the value of prenatal exercise isn't as well-documented for unfit women as for fit ones, experts like Berk have seen firsthand the difference that exercise can make, even for couch potatoes.
Get Healthy, Wealthy & Wise :) Stay Fit!
Have you been working on getting healthy but find it to be a struggle? Don’t stop because your breakthrough is right around the corner – it truly is but you need to look at it with a new perspective or fresh eyes. Not sure what I mean? The best way to explain it is to stop and look at how far you’ve come since you first started your journey. For me my “aha” moment really came after my hysterectomy when two weeks after surgery and off the pain medication, I felt good. REALLY GOOD. Three years ago, I would not have been able to write that for you to read but I did notice little breakthroughs throughout my journey.
Having always been active, exercise was not my issue because no matter how “fluffy” I may have been, I always exercised even if it was just to take a walk. The reason exercise has never been my issue is because it keeps my stress in check and it is a part of my day just like everything else on my list. On the other hand, I was not as successful with my eating. Eating correctly and in the right amounts are my issues. As I started training for my first triathlon, I also started completing 5K’s, 10K’s and a half marathon. None of these events had been on my radar before I began my triathlon training but I quickly found that I enjoyed them. What really opened my eyes to what was happening with my body is on the days that I ate well and really paid attention to what I was putting on my plate and ultimately in my body, I performed better whether it was running, biking or even the hour Zumba class. Have you heard that saying “You’re only as good as your last meal?” Nothing could be more true. The better my food choices were, the better my physical level would be. When I ate crap, my physical and energy levels would be poor.
This week Bobbi Maracai reviews the goings-on in Pro Wrestling Fit. Plus she will be interviewing Bobby Fonta on his recent entry in the TNA Gut Check. Also, Senior Referee James W. Rubright talks to us about his 500th match, Steelehorsing, and his thoughts on the State of the PWF.
Join Host Live Chats
- Talk Real Solutions (50 chatters)
- R3belutionRadioShow (24 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (22 chatters)
- Russ Dizdar (21 chatters)
- Curious Times (20 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (19 chatters)
- Holger Awakens (17 chatters)
- Homer Bouvier (16 chatters)
- OCG (14 chatters)
- The Asylum0 (10 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (10 chatters)
- Late Night Leos (10 chatters)
- BearWhitewolf32 (9 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (9 chatters)
- Mystic Light and Shadows (6 chatters)
- Acts 1711 Radio Network (6 chatters)
- AltCon Radio (4 chatters)
- Bay Bridge Sports Hub (4 chatters)
- JeffBanjamin (4 chatters)
- ObviousPotomos Taunt Radio (4 chatters)
- The MADHOUSE (4 chatters)
- The Psychic Cow (4 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio Mass Media (3 chatters)
- Be The Light Now (3 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (2 chatters)
- DocVaj2 (2 chatters)
- JUDGEMENT TIME (2 chatters)
- OPWR (2 chatters)
- NFL PODCAST (1 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (1 chatters)
- The Kingdom of God or Nothing (1 chatters)
- Word Alive (1 chatters)
- Kingdom Kids Radio Network (1 chatters)
- men empowered (1 chatters)
- Hello World0 (1 chatters)
- Indy Showcase0 (1 chatters)
- Underground Unsigned Unknown (0 chatters)