SORT BY Relevancy
in Self Help
Our guest this evening is Lance Dodes, MD, author of The Sober Truth: Debunking the Bad Science Behind 12-Step Programs and the Rehab Industry. Dr. Dodes is a Training and Supervising analyst emeritus with the Boston Psychoanalytic Society and Institute and recently retired assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.
in Self Help
Stepper mom, Ms AA, AA geek, True Believer, Koolaid drinking fool...all the names I once called myself. How was I brainwashed. Why did I stay after I was 13 stepped at ages 18 & 19? What cracked things open and how did I plan my escape. Is this a cult? Host Monica Richardson tells her story.
Dick B.'s son Ken talks about the new book he and his dad released this month, Pioneer Stories in Alcoholics Anonymous: God's Role in Recovery Confirmed! (December 2012). When Bill W. and Dr. Bob met in Akron, Ohio, on May 12, 1935 (Mother's Day), both were members of a group named "A First Century Christian Fellowship" (also known as the Oxford Group). Bill and Bob developed a program of recovery over the summer of 1935 which John D. Rockefeller's agent Frank Amos summarized in seven points in February 1938. (See DR. BOB and the Good Oldtimers, 131.) As Dr. Bob said in his last major talk: "In early A.A. days, . . . we were convinced that the answer to our problems was in the Good Book." (See The Co-Founders of Alcoholics Anonymous: Biograhical Sketches: Their Last Major Talks, Item # P-53, page 13.) After Bill and Bob "counted the noses" of those who had recovered as of November 1937, Bill was commissioned to write a book that would present the highly-successful, original Akron A.A. "Christian fellowship" program. (See DR. BOB and the Good Oldtimers, 123 and 118.) Bill W., however, wrote what he called "the new version of the program, now the 'Twelve Steps.'" (See Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, 162.) Bill's statement at the Rockefeller Dinner on February 8, 1940, that A.A. claimed a 75% success rate among "seemingly-hopeless," "medically-incurable" alcoholics who thoroughly followed their path is mainly speaking about the original Akron program, as the Big Book had only been published April 10, 1939. When Clarence S. founded the A.A. group in Cleveland, which had a documented 93% success rate without relapse(!), he had done it with "by keeping most of the 'old program,' including the Bible and the Four Absolutes." (See Mitchell K., How It Worked, 108.) Our new book talks about success
in Self Help
Child Molested in an AA meeting. Man's Throat Slit "in an AA Meeting", Charlotte Man PLeads guilty in shooting death of AA sponsor...Woman and 13 year old daughter murdered by man she met in an AA meeting...and the list goes on. SO WHY DOES AA World Headquarters tell its members...Its an outside issue when they call to say someone has been raped or 13 stepped by men they meet in AA.
Know two things...AA is not safe. 2) Your Rights are broken when told to go there by a judge or a lawyer. AA is already deemed "highly religious in 25 states" .
Many members have been taken for thousnads of dollars and never go to the police...why? Why do these people think AA members get of scott free?
Maura H. has been sober 27 fun-filled years and originally cleaned up in Dallas, Texas USA with some good, hard-nosed old-timers. Maura has lived in Jackson, Wyoming USA over 20 years and brings her experience, strength and hope to new women in recovery on a daily basis. Helping others is Maura's speciality and she always serves Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) with a smile and a twinkle in her eye!
Dick B. interviews songwriter and muscian Heather Layne.
Jeff and Chris address issues of mental, physical and spiritual health, the realities of not being the only addict in the family, and Jeff confidently claims his faith while Chris kinda dances around claiming his atheism.
David Foster Wallace and his work are woven through much of this episode. He’ll likely keep coming up because he was a genius tormented by his addictions and himself.
Chris’ Step (Up) 2: The Streets: As many of you might imagine, much of the faith-focused talk stems from our discussion of AA’s Step 2. The “Surrender” Steps do seem to be proving a bit of a sticking point for Chris.
Intro/Outro and Musicians In Recovery: We’re looking for help with a theme song and soliciting submissions from musicians in recovery who’d be interested in having a bit of their music played during outros of upcoming episodes. RightNow@KLENandSOBR.com or ChrisA@SinceRightNow.com
For full show notes—including links to things mentioned in this episode—please visit SinceRightNow.com
in Self Help
This weeks show...
Mutant worms can help alcoholics
The drugs addicted doctors prefer
Steven Tyler thinks doctors are drug dealers
Legally getting high, but probably die
Ways to get sober and not go to those darn "AA" meetings
?The Addiction / Recovery eBulletin PodCast is a weekly show that highlights the news, articles, information, video, books, and all the other stuff that's happening with addiction and recovery. This podcast is powered by Writers In Treatment, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization.
Writers In Treatment is a social, educational, networking and recovery forum showcasing first-time filmmakers and experienced professionals who make films about addiction and recovery. Our audience is treatment professionals, people in recovery, members of the entertainment industry, media representatives, educated moviegoers and the general public.
Leonard Buschel is the Publisher and Editor of the Addiction / Recovery eBulletin, and founder of Writers In Treatment and the REEL Recovery Film Festival.
Steve Thompson, Host / Producer.
You can subscribe to the Addiction / Recovery eBulletin by visiting http://www.writersintreatment.org
in Self Help
This is a show to help everyone and anyone that feels as though they have an addiction. Share personal experiences, strength and hope. Call-In, Email & Ask Questions as we all work together to “Make It a Better Day” for everyone!! There are so many avenues out there to explore that many of us are unfamiliar with. This show is there to help you and to support you on your way to a successful recovery and to ensure that you are able to stay focused. There is someone that cares for you. I hope you will join us and be encouraged as we hope to reach millions to minister and to support you on “The Road to Recovery”. God Bless you for listening and join our discussion every Sunday from 7 PM – 9 PM. Call 323-580-5755 or 800 - I Ask You (800-427-5968). Write to me at Daniel@daare.com so I may be able to successfully assist you in any way that I can. www.linkedlocalnetwork.com
Join Host Live Chats
- The Portal (19 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (16 chatters)
- SHRAonair (16 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (15 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (13 chatters)
- Pandoras Box (10 chatters)
- Lets talkXXXGod is not Religious (10 chatters)
- HOV Radio (9 chatters)
- LauraDiPrete (8 chatters)
- ReflectRadio (7 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (7 chatters)
- TruthRadioNetwork (7 chatters)
- Living Well Talk Radio (6 chatters)
- FFToolbox (6 chatters)
- Greg Kellogg (6 chatters)
- FulfilledRadio (5 chatters)
- Cubanarama (5 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (5 chatters)
- wheresobamasbirthcertificateXcom (4 chatters)
- Souls Eye View Too (4 chatters)
- Its Real Talk Live (4 chatters)
- iHookradio (3 chatters)
- LA Batchelor (3 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (3 chatters)
- LetsGetMetaphysical (3 chatters)
- 63289 (3 chatters)
- fireengineeringtalkradio (3 chatters)
- Rockin Country Radio (3 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (3 chatters)
- Tarhaka (3 chatters)
- The Yehudah Project (3 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (3 chatters)
- The Road Less Traveled (2 chatters)
- The Season Ticket (2 chatters)
- The Peoples America (2 chatters)
- WHATS GOING ON by the UAC (2 chatters)
- SpeakingXOut (2 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Real Talk Radio17 (2 chatters)
- PASOS (2 chatters)
- LiveParanormal History FM (2 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (2 chatters)
- Hickory Paranormal Radio (2 chatters)
- Broad Street Line (2 chatters)
- K98Talk Studio B (2 chatters)
- JASmius (2 chatters)
- Jay King Network (2 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (1 chatters)
- JakeyandTheAce (1 chatters)
- Life Coach Radio Network (1 chatters)
- MyViewMatters (1 chatters)
- onlinewithandrea (1 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (1 chatters)
- Conservative Nation Radio (1 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (1 chatters)
- A Christian Perspective (1 chatters)
- Art Bulla (1 chatters)
- Ask Lordiel (1 chatters)
- Bishop Maurice L Irvin (1 chatters)
- FuRbAbY AnD FrIeNdS (1 chatters)
- George Ramirez (1 chatters)
- Fins Radio (1 chatters)
- RevUp with Rev Alethea (1 chatters)
- RotoRadio (1 chatters)
- SAGE Radio (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- The Conversation Cafe (1 chatters)
- The Madden Voice (1 chatters)
- WQ4D Radio (1 chatters)
- TimBinnall (1 chatters)
- thelordshour (1 chatters)
- Hot Button Debates (0 chatters)
- Lets Talk Jets with Dennis Tyson (0 chatters)