SORT BY Relevancy
American Culture and the Achievement Gap
What is an “achievement gap?” The achievement gap on which this article focuses is the academic achievement gap between African-American and Caucasian students in American schools. It seems that even when the parents of African-American children have university degrees, their children still have lower test scores than the children of Caucasian parents with college degrees. This holds true at all levels of parental education. Why? While there are a myriad of reasons for the academic achievement gap between races, including institutionalized racism, low teacher expectations, poor schools, limited experiential backgrounds, etc., this article focuses on American culture and the “dumbing” of America as one often overlooked reason.
There is an overall American attitude that stupidity is “cute,” “cool,” and trendy. Witness the appalling lack of knowledge on the part of Paris Hilton during a court proceeding, in which she was asked a question about “Great Britain” and obviously did not know that England is part of Great Britain. (It had to be explained to her, after which, she pouted and rolled her eyes.) When a rich, pampered, role model socialite from one of the wealthiest families in America exhibits such ignorance, after a presumably excellent education in private schools, is it any wonder that other young people don’t worry about getting a good education and using it? They look at what she has and how stupid she acts and think they don’t need “smarts” to become rich and successful!
The top 10 things your district should be doing to close the achievement gap..
10 Things that school districts can do to close the achievement gap... Is your School District on course or are they far away? Listen In and decide.
Listen in as I describe the ten things that teachers can do to close the achievement gap.
Is your childs teacher doing any of these things?
Why do some students excel in school and others seem to fail? Is the notion of the education achievement gap a reality or myth? Renowned educator and expert Dr. Sharla Benson-Brown joins Let's Talk America with Host Shana Thornton on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 7:30 pm EST to address the issues of educating a child in today's school system. Dr. Benson-Brown will be taking live callers throughout the show. Simply call (914) 803-4284 to speak with the featured guest. This show will empower everyone!
The persistent achievement gap between white/Asian students and black students continues to haunt schools across the country. The gap is persistent because schools can't close the gap on their own. Families and communities also play an important role in strategies for closing the achievement gap. In Atlanta, the W E B Du Bois Society is taking on the achievement gap one attitude at a time. Etienne LeGrand, the co-founder, joins our show to discuss the inspiration and sweat equity in closing the achievement gap in Atlanta. What is your community doing?
Featuring Tara Davidson, HS and College English Instructor Defined by the US Department of Education, the Academic Achievement Gap is "the difference in academic performance between different ethnic groups."
The purpose of this series is to bring forth educators and professionals to expound of the idea of an academic achievement gap and its ramifications.
The interviewees will focus on their role in education and how they have battled this phenomenon, if at all.
Any question which you would like to be answered should be emailed to email@example.com or you can simply call in during showtime @ 646-200-3569 !
SC Bill 4483 Rep. David Mack
Join Host Live Chats
- HINDSIGHT RADIO (46 chatters)
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (37 chatters)
- sherrytalkradio (23 chatters)
- Straight Black Pride Radio (23 chatters)
- Candelos Corner Radio (19 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (19 chatters)
- Liberator Speaks (16 chatters)
- thelordshour (15 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (14 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (12 chatters)
- Scott Hensler Update (12 chatters)
- The Freedom For All Network (9 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (7 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (7 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (6 chatters)
- The Final Thought0 (6 chatters)
- AMStyles247 (5 chatters)
- Healing with the Rainbow Rays (5 chatters)
- Breaking Reality (4 chatters)
- Theresa J Morris (4 chatters)
- Witch School (4 chatters)
- WMLR- MOOR LIFE RADIO (3 chatters)
- SSRN (3 chatters)
- The One People Oneness Radio (3 chatters)
- Cross Walk Talk (3 chatters)
- PROPHET BRENDA BRADSHAW (3 chatters)
- PRNRadioNetwork (2 chatters)
- May We Help You Radio Show (2 chatters)
- InThePaint (2 chatters)
- Experimental Magic (2 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (2 chatters)
- Getting Hot In The Kitchen (2 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (2 chatters)
- SURN Host (2 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (2 chatters)
- The Urban Release (1 chatters)
- TRUTH NETWORK RADIO TNR (1 chatters)
- dtm radio (1 chatters)
- EGM Radio (1 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (1 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (1 chatters)
- JackNewtown (1 chatters)
- JADE Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- Powertalk with OG Mack Drama (1 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (1 chatters)
- real talk for real people0 (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)