SORT BY Relevancy
Author Ursula K. LeGuin said, "There have been great societies that did not use the wheel, but there have been no societies that did not tell stories." The power of stories is one of the topics we explore in this episode of the Literary New England Radio Show as we speak with authors:
Audrey Magee on The Undertaking
Ellen Cooney on The Mountaintop School for Dogs and Other Second Chances
Tana French on The Secret Place
Susanna Kearsley on Season of Storms
Listeners can win copies of each of these titles!
In recognition of Bastille Day, Matthew, in this special Monday episode, discusses the book that caused the French Revolution: "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" (The Dangerous Liaisons), written by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos. The book -- perhaps unintentionally -- set off pious sentiment against the Ancien Regime, and its influence carries on today.
The Total Tutor Neil Haley will interview International Award-Winning French Jazz Vocalist Cyrille Aimee. She will discuss how she started as a Jazz vocalist, and the upcoming event in Pittsburgh on September 6th at 6:30 PM.
The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust is pleased to announce the award-winning, internationally recognized jazz vocalist and recording artist Cyrille Aimée will be the featured performer during the Cultural Trust’s Gala on Saturday, September 6, 2014, performance being held at the O’Reilly Theater located in downtown Pittsburgh’s Cultural District. Ms. Aimée was born in Fontainebleau, France where she discovered a love of the gypsy’s language and music at an early age and comments, “I was hypnotized by this music which made me want to tap my feet. Swinging music makes me so happy. ” Ms. Aimée studied music at the American School of Modern Music in Paris and SUNY Purchase, New York. “The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust is honored that Ms. Aimée will be performing at our annual gala event. Ms. Aimée’s performance will be a highlight of the evening and we look forward to hosting this outstanding and accomplished jazz vocalist as our special guest,” comments J. Kevin McMahon, President and CEO, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust.
World Footprints returned to New Orleans for our 7th annual French Quarter Festival 2-hour broadcast. This year we set up at Tableau Restaurant, Dickie Brennan's newest culinary gem in Jackson Square.
The first hour of World Footprints showcase New Orleans international outreach, the arts and history. We introduce a hidden gem, The New Orleans Historic Collection. The Historic Collection is a museum, research center, and publisher dedicated to the study and preservation of the history and culture of New Orleans and the Gulf South region. New Orleans' homegrown stars, The Boswell Sisters, are featured and the exhibit's curator Mark Cave and the granddaughter of Vet Boswell, Kyla Titus, joins us for a lively discussion.
We also talk about a special event that the world is sharing this year--the 70th anniversary of the landing at Normandy. The National World War II Museum's Alan Raphael joins us to talk about how the museum is commemorating this anniversary and the special role that New Orleans played in WWII.
We promise you'll enjoy this first hour and we invite you back to listen to the 2nd hour broadcast where we talk about the history of Voodoo and spotlight the contributions of Africans in New Orleans.
The Event Jeannie’s summer “Wet Your Whistle” Series continues with French Reds
French wine production dates back to the 6th century BC and on the assumption that most of us don’t have time to figure out what’s been happening over the past 1500 years, we invited Charles Curtis to sum up the most salient points about French Red Wine. And since Charles just finished a book entitled the “Original Grands Crus of Burgundy” – it’s hard to imagine that even the most experienced wine connoisseur won’t learn something too!
Jeannie will be live at noon on August 13th, with Charles as we examine Red wines and grapes comprehensively from Cabernet Franc to Syrah!
World Footprints returned to New Orleans for our 7th annual French Quarter Festival 2-hour broadcast. This year we set up at Tableau Restaurant, Dickie Brennan's newest culinary gem in Jackson Square. This second hour of our FQF broadcast explores the unique history of New Orleans with two prominent professors from the University of New Orleans.
The diverse heritages of the people of New Orleans makes this city very unique, interesting and alive with traditions that are not found in any other city in the country. New Orleans is a place where Africans intermingled with Native Americans and european settlers ultimately creating a sustainable culture that distinguishes New Orleans today. Dr. MaryMiitchell, History Professor at UNO, joins us to discuss the African contributions to New Orleans and the dynamics that slavery played in the development and culture of this city.
Most people don’t equate compassion and beauty when they think of Voodoo, but Voodoo historian, Professor Martha Ward, says that is what she discovered when she first began researching the practice. Prof. Ward is a Professor Emeritus at UNO and author of the book, Voodoo Queen: The Spirited Lives of Marie Laveau, the only academic account of the famous New Orelans voodoo priestess and her daughter, Marie Laveau II. Professor Ward offers a Voodoo history lesson and her belief that Hollywood and media have incorrectly racialized and stigmatized Voodoo.
Enjoy our FQF hour one discussion of New Orleans art and history.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (494 chatters)
- John Baptist (90 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (39 chatters)
- Jennifer Hoffman (36 chatters)
- in5d (29 chatters)
- thelordshour (26 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (23 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (20 chatters)
- DynastySoundtrack (18 chatters)
- Curious Times (17 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (16 chatters)
- BFD Fantasy Football (14 chatters)
- Canadian Motocross Weekly (12 chatters)
- Cardboard Connection Radio (11 chatters)
- Odwirafo (11 chatters)
- Greg Kellogg (10 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (10 chatters)
- The J Ril Show (10 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (10 chatters)
- Dr Pat Holliday (10 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (10 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (8 chatters)
- Ms KiKi (7 chatters)
- ISoMH Educational Network (7 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (7 chatters)
- Beyond the Airwaves TIP (7 chatters)
- canadianglen (6 chatters)
- BLACK SATIN RADIO LIVE (6 chatters)
- RAD1Radio (6 chatters)
- Yo Momma Black (6 chatters)
- The Hilltop Radio Show (6 chatters)
- The Ron and Don Show (5 chatters)
- sun752 (5 chatters)
- Leslie Draper (5 chatters)
- Golden Rose Psychic Radio (5 chatters)
- Bamabird29 (5 chatters)
- Contending 4 Truth Radio (5 chatters)
- dtm radio (5 chatters)
- Feldman World Group (4 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (4 chatters)
- Dave in the City (4 chatters)
- David and Wes (4 chatters)
- Bards Logic Political Talk (4 chatters)
- 12kyle (4 chatters)
- Moorish Science Radio (4 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (4 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (4 chatters)
- SURN Host (3 chatters)
- Talk2Q (3 chatters)
- teamgrindhard (3 chatters)
- Matty Ps Radio Happy Hour (3 chatters)
- Its Real Talk Radio (3 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (3 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (3 chatters)
- fairtax4ca (3 chatters)
- ViktorAurelius (3 chatters)
- Xclusive Jamz Nation (2 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (2 chatters)
- Universal Radio (2 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Variety Radio Online (2 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (2 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (2 chatters)
- AGHOST Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Bleed Blue Show (2 chatters)
- Metaphysics and Awareness (2 chatters)
- Mystic Light and Shadows (2 chatters)
- Opulent Network (2 chatters)
- The Mirror Show (2 chatters)
- The Annette Brent Show (1 chatters)
- Pure Flow XChange (1 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (1 chatters)
- RXCX Anderson (1 chatters)
- SISFI Human Wellness Radio (1 chatters)
- Boyzntheoffice (1 chatters)
- Bigbagstudios (1 chatters)
- carsonscorner (1 chatters)
- Chicago Thunder (1 chatters)
- BadCulture Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Be The Light Now (1 chatters)
- Dragon vs Dragon (1 chatters)
- Dusk Spot Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Two Sides Of The Story Productions (1 chatters)
- underground talk (1 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (1 chatters)
- WE RESISTERS RADIO (1 chatters)
- Welcome to Docradio Network (1 chatters)
- WTLC Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- Soul Tree Radio X In The Raw (0 chatters)