SORT BY Relevancy
GUEST: MELISSA SEIGEL, Information and Education Coordinator for Mecklenburg County Community Support Services Women’s Commission
February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month and brings programs and presentations to teens across the country with the hope that educating them about what to expect in a healthy relationship will stop the cycle of violence that’s being accepted as normal.
READ MORE DETAILS
HOST WEBSITE: DonnaGore.Com
Young adult relationships that turn violent is a big problem, affecting youth in every community across the nation.
Nearly 1.5 million high school students nationwide experience physical abuse from a dating partner in a single year.
One in three adolescents in the U.S. is a victim of physical, sexual, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner, a figure that far exceeds rates of other types of youth violence.
One in 10 high school students has been purposefully hit, slapped or physically hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend.
One quarter of high school girls have been victims of physical or sexual abuse.
Approximately 70% of college students say they have been sexually coerced.
Why Focus on Young People?
Girls and young women between the ages of 16 and 24 experience the highest rate of intimate partner violence -- almost triple the national average.
Violent behavior typically begins between the ages of 12 and 18.
The severity of intimate partner violence is often greater in cases where the pattern of abuse was established in adolescence.
About 72% of eighth and ninth graders are “dating".
Lack of Awareness
Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse.
Eighty one percent of parents believe teen dating violence is not an issue or admit they don’t know if it’s an issue.
A teen’s confusion about the law and their desire for confidentiality are two of the most significant barriers stopping young victims of abuse from seeking help
Join me and special guest speaker Dr. Barbara Lavi as we discuss break-up violence followed by workable solutions and healthy ways to have a intimate relationship. Tune in this Friday night June 6th at 9pm CT at www.blogtalkradio.com/ritahodges or call in live at 646-929-0421.
In observance of Youth Violence Prevention Week, teen hosts Yanira, Kaitlyn, and Salwa discuss the causes of violence among young people and what communities can do to eliminate the problem. Our guest is Tiffany Brec, educator and outreach coordinator from Vera House.
Fore more information on National Youth Violence Prevention Week, which is observed April 7-11 in 2014, visit the National SAVE website.
Teen Talk is supported in part by Audible. Visit audibletrial.com/teentalkcny to start your 30-day trial and benefit Teen Talk.
7:00 to 8:00pm
Guest Speaker Sharon Bayus with Innovative Alternatives, Inc.
8:00 to 9:00pm
Guest Speaker Robert Lewis Robinson II with ItTakes a VillageY'all and It Takes a Village Y'all to Find our Missing
The Aftermath of Violence: Trauma & Abuse
Harris County Precint 7 Domestic Violence Deputy Program
5290 Griggs Road, Houston, TExas 77021
24 hour dispatch 713-643-6602
Victims Services 713-643-66773
Born and raised in Ohio, Hip Hop and R&B artist Blackwell has been writing and performing since the age of 15, since developing his skills of playing guitar, drums, piano, and sax. He’s been largely influenced by such artists as Jay-Z, Eric B. and Rakim, LL Cool J, and Scarface. Blackwell has formed his own production company and management, ”Blakk Nation Music”, that will feature new and upcoming acts of all genre of music, and continues to develop new artists and present new material.
Join Host Live Chats
- Pro Wrestling Torch (24 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (17 chatters)
- Tune In Tomorrow (17 chatters)
- Destruindo Fortalezas (15 chatters)
- The Rad Reality Show (9 chatters)
- NLPI RADIO USA KURT LOGSDON (8 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (7 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (6 chatters)
- TruthRadioNetwork (5 chatters)
- Spirit Medium Laura (5 chatters)
- Straitway (5 chatters)
- Soul Empowerment Radio (4 chatters)
- Starz Psychics Network (4 chatters)
- gregfilms (4 chatters)
- Here Be Monsters (3 chatters)
- Victory Lane Radio (3 chatters)
- WithInsightsRadio (3 chatters)
- Trucker Dave (2 chatters)
- The Souls Intent (2 chatters)
- Its Real Talk Live (2 chatters)
- Jose Navy (2 chatters)
- LA Batchelor (2 chatters)
- Lit Ish Live (2 chatters)
- Everything Kathy B (2 chatters)
- AirAmarteifioRadio (2 chatters)
- BDSIR NETWORK (2 chatters)
- The Ascending Word Power Hour (2 chatters)
- BodyMindSpirit Radio (2 chatters)
- Salvation In Jesus Ministry (2 chatters)
- Mark Radulich (2 chatters)
- MKSPCG (2 chatters)
- MyViewMatters (1 chatters)
- Mike Wood (1 chatters)
- THE CONFLICTS OF LIFE (1 chatters)
- Survival Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Sport City Chefs (1 chatters)
- Because Hope Matters Radio (1 chatters)
- Amen Communications Network (1 chatters)
- AmericanMuslim360 (1 chatters)
- Front Deck Entertainment (1 chatters)
- Dr Ed Moloney (1 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (1 chatters)
- Kerri Edelman (1 chatters)
- Know Thyself Radio (1 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (1 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (1 chatters)
- Visual Thoughts Network (1 chatters)
- WordBeat (1 chatters)
- Lisa Lamont (0 chatters)
- Empower Radio with Qiana (0 chatters)