SORT BY Relevancy
The PSUV lost its supermajority in the National Assembly; Blogger Daniel of Venezuela News and Views joins us to explain why he Venezuela has officially ceased today to be a democracy
The silly, inefficient and even paranoid US Senate filibuster rules have — depending on perspective — obstructed countless worthy appointments and bills or saved the nation from destrucive bills and appointments. Now two noobs, MA's Elizabeth Warren and ME's Angus King say enough. Both have pledged to reform the process.
As the filibuster is not a law, "merely" rules the Senate agrees to by majority vote at the start of each two-year session, filibuster would be mildly or radically changed in January.
We'll talk about what's likely and what's possible.
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Republican attorneys general in 13 states say congressional leaders must remove Nebraska's political deal from the federal health care reform bill or face legal action, according to a letter provided to The Associated Press Wednesday.
"We believe this provision is constitutionally flawed," South Carolina Attorney General Henry McMaster and the 12 other attorneys general wrote in the letter to be sent Wednesday night to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.
"As chief legal officers of our states we are contemplating a legal challenge to this provision and we ask you to take action to render this challenge unnecessary by striking that provision," they wrote.
In a rare Christmas Eve vote, Senate Democrats pushed sweeping health care legislation to the brink of Senate passage, crushing a year-end Republican filibuster against President Barack Obama's call to remake the nation's health care system. The 60-39 vote marked the third time in as many days Democrats posted a supermajority needed to advance the legislation.
The letter was signed by top prosecutors in Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Michigan, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington state. All are Republicans, and McMaster and the attorneys general of Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania are running for governor in their respective states.
Last week, McMaster said he was leading several other attorneys general in an inquiry into the constitutionality of the estimated $100 million deal he has dubbed the "Cornhusker Kickback."
Republican U.S. Sens. Lindsey Graham and Jim DeMint of South Carolina raised questions
What is a Supermajority and what does the Chambliss victory mean? What should Obama do about the economy and why is it likely to fail? Is that a racist concept?
Join Host Live Chats
- High Frequency Radio Network (41 chatters)
- MarlyBird (20 chatters)
- TXHXOXRX MINISTRY RADIO NETWORK (18 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (16 chatters)
- Pastor Paul Begley (12 chatters)
- Jay King Network (10 chatters)
- Alzheimers Speaks Radio (9 chatters)
- christianpsychicbrendabradshaw (9 chatters)
- Patriot Voices Radio (6 chatters)
- BonnieAlbersOnAir (4 chatters)
- tlbethel (3 chatters)
- Triple DarkGodis Radio (3 chatters)
- The Being Talk Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Variety Radio Online (2 chatters)
- Barbara Grace Reynolds (2 chatters)
- Bernadette Boas (1 chatters)
- BodyMindSpirit Radio (1 chatters)
- Cornerstone CU League (1 chatters)
- cres oneal (1 chatters)
- BOTTLED BUSINESS SENSE SHOW (1 chatters)
- Energy Upstream (1 chatters)
- Heart to Heart with Anna (1 chatters)
- Joeygiggles (1 chatters)
- Lisa Lamont (1 chatters)
- The Boochcast (1 chatters)
- Metaphysical Showcase (1 chatters)
- Minister Patricia Dokes (1 chatters)
- Victoria Christine (0 chatters)
- Diane Grimble Ministries N Friends (0 chatters)