SORT BY Relevancy
Shakyra Diaz, Policy Director of the ACLU of Ohio, examines the new state policy regarding use of seclusion rooms and restraints in Ohio public schools and she also discusses the issues around routine shackling of youth appearing in juvenile court
Dr. Greene's guests on this program were Darcy Gruttadaro, JD, the Director of the Child & Adolescent Action Center at the National Alliance on Mental Illness, and Howard Trachtman, the immediate past co-chair of the Massachusetts Behavioral Health Partnership's consumer advisory council. He is also a board member of NAMI-Massachusetts, and is on the executive committee of NAMI's Consumer Council, and chairs the Council's Restraint and Seclusion Committee. The discussion focused on the use of restraint and seclusion in American public schools and current initiatives to reduce its use. This program is sponsored by Lives in the Balance (www.livesinthebalance.org).
Dr. Greene's guest on today's program was David Colton, Ph.D., a renowned expert on cultural changes in behavioral health care organizations that can contribute to the reduction of the use of seclusion and restraint, a topic on which Dr. Colton lectures internationally. Dr. Colton's expertise was very much in evidence on this program...a must-listen for any organization trying to reduce or eliminate restraint and seclusion!
Hear from witnesses to the seclusion and restraint of a Coalinga State Hospital patient, Riccardo King, who was forcibly medicated and tied down to a bed for a few weeks. The man was unable to understand commands, yet was being verbally and physically abused. Another sad story of abuse/neglect at CSH is presented.
Then, hear from a man who successfully exited CSH in 2012, when his "SVP" case was dropped in Los Angeles County court. Clem reports in and discusses his life now, in Texas.
On May 21, 2014, the State of Ohio reached a settlement that resolves similar allegations under two separate lawsuits; one stemming from ongoing issues that remained under a prior settlement reached in S.H. v. Stickrath (2008) and the second filed by the U.S. Department of Justice. The recent order requires that the Ohio Department of Youth Services (DYS) provide individualized treatment and programming for kids with mental health issues and stop the harmful practice of seclusion. DYS must also dramatically reduce, and eventually eliminate, its use of seclusion on all young people in its custody. On this episode, Al Gerhardstein, lead plaintiff counsel for S.H., discusses what changes have occurred in the past six years since S.H. was settled and the impact of the newest order.
In today's society, we can get so overwhelmed by the problems and evil in the world that we become recluses, focusing only on the spiritual, and abiding only among those of great faith. We can rationalize our seclusion with our intense spiriitual, or vertical, focus. At the same time, we can engage so intensely in fighting against these problems and evil in the world that we forget to keep God in the picture, or our message of hope that goes with us. We can rationalize our shallow spiritual life with our engagement in serving mankind: Our horizontal focus.
Reverend Samuel Rodruiguez passionately delivers a message that helps us pinpoint our focus at the intersection of the Cross: Vertical and Horizontal. I think you'll be inspired and challenged by this message, and moved toward introspection about your approach to the Christian life in today's world! Hope you can join us. Be blessed.
NOTE: SPECIAL TIME: 10 A.M. SATURDAY (JULY 12TH)
Key Buzz words, contemplative prayer, experiential Christianity, relational Christianity are key words in understanding spiritual formation.
The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola (composed from 1522–1524) are a set of Christian meditations, prayers and mental exercises, divided into four thematic 'weeks' of variable length, designed to be carried out over a period of 28 to 30 days. They were composed with the intention of helping the retreatant to discern Jesus in his life, leading him to a personal commitment to follow him. Though the underlying spiritual outlook is Catholic, the exercises can also be undertaken by non-Catholics. The 'Spiritual Exercises' booklet was formally approved in 1548 by Paul III.
The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius form the cornerstone of Ignatian Spirituality—a way of understanding and living the human relationship with God in the world exemplified in the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). Although originally designed to take place in the setting of a secluded retreat, during which those undergoing the exercises would be focused on nothing other than the Exercises, in his introductory notes, Ignatius provides a model for completing the Exercises over a longer period without the need of seclusion. The Exercises were designed to be carried out while under the direction of a spiritual director. The Spiritual Exercises were never meant only for the vowed religious. Ignatius of Loyola gave the Exercises for 15 years before he was ordained, and years before the Society of Jesus was even founded. After the Society was formed, the Exercises became the central component of the Jesuit novitiate training program, and they usually take place during the first year of a two year novitiate. Ignatius considered the examen, or spiritual self-review, to be the most important way to continue to live out the experience of the Exercises after their completion.
HR 3717 if passed will be a disaster for people involved with psychiatry--an elimination of protection and advocacy, alternatives, and a mandate for every state to have an involuntary outpatient commitment law. Please call in to share your thoughts.
Human rights violations are routinely committed by psychiatry, including forced drugging, electroshock, restraints, seclusion, and aversives. Institutionalization itself is a violation.
People's hopes and dreams are ripped away from them, diagnosed as delusional, and left to live a life of poverty. We can do better. We must.
What do you want to talk about?
You don't have to be mad to call in . . . But it helps.
Involuntary Outpatient Commitment is a threat to anyone who has a psychiatric history --or who in the future may be psychiatrically assigned. The 'slippery slope' of removing the civil liberties for some -based on the fraud of psychiatry- surely will limit the civil liberties of all. Speak out against psychiatric oppression. Celebrate the human spirit. Call in - what do you want to talk about? First time callers welcome!
You don't have to be mad to call in . . . But, it helps. What do you want to talk about? A full-on attack of people who have been assigned a fraudulent psychiatric label is underway in America. Pending legislation such as HR 3717, The Families in Mental Health Crisis Act, (the Murphy Bill) will not solve these societal problems. While no one is defending the recent actions of several mass murders, they are being hauled out to the public in a drumbeat of fear mongering. According to FBI data, in 2010, there were 12,996 murders. The media does not focus on these. Instead, they isolate out the most heinous and sensationalized situations to condition the public to associate violence and psychiatric labels. This is a fraud. Psychiatric profiling and an increased reliance on psychiatry as an answer will repeatedly fail us as a society. All psychiatry offers are drugs and institutions. There are plenty of alternatives, that will not rob tax-payer expenditures, and produce better outcomes. Not only does psychiatry cost tax-payers billions of dollars a year in terms of services and products, but it steals millions of dollars from our economy by preventing people who have been psychiatrically assigned from working, as they are mandated into psychiatric programming, creating jobs for psychiatric, legal, medical, and police and safety professionals. It is widely accepted that the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual-V has little validity. Evidence-based supports such as mutual assistance and self-help need to be fostered, and as a country, we must adopt trauma-informed care models. Tune in to Talk with Tenney for an another view on the Crisis in America; hear first hand stories of people who have been assigned a psychiatric label; call in reports of abuse, neglect, and deaths; or call in and ask questions.
Dr. Greene's guest on today's program is Tuija Lehtinen, a school psychologist in Haninge, Sweden, who is currently overseeing a project in which the Collaborative & Proactive Solutions (CPS) model is being implemented in all 16 public schools, with children aged 6-16. Tuija filled is in on how her school system has organized the effort, along with some of the bumps in the road so far.
Unlawful Restraint and Seclusion, Special Needs Legislation, Autism Insurance Laws, Secondary Education Advocacy with Mae Wilkinson http://www.examiner.com/pu
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (499 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (53 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (51 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (28 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (27 chatters)
- Namaste Farms (24 chatters)
- The Oracle Speaks (22 chatters)
- thelordshour (20 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (17 chatters)
- BerniceBennett (15 chatters)
- iCandiRadio (14 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (12 chatters)
- SpeakEasy Cafe (11 chatters)
- in5d (11 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (11 chatters)
- drkate (11 chatters)
- Healing Light Radio (9 chatters)
- Higher Truth Radio (8 chatters)
- EnlightenmentEvolution Network (8 chatters)
- dtm radio (7 chatters)
- HisWordHisWay (7 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (7 chatters)
- MissingYouFoundation (6 chatters)
- The One People Oneness Radio (6 chatters)
- The Forbidden Fruit (5 chatters)
- TonyWolfPaw (5 chatters)
- Shifting Times Radio (5 chatters)
- ReflectRadio (4 chatters)
- Raw Sex (4 chatters)
- Loren and Arjeana Due (4 chatters)
- MASTERTEACHER33 (4 chatters)
- Contending 4 Truth Radio (4 chatters)
- Erotic Talk Radio (4 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (4 chatters)
- The Crystal Show (4 chatters)
- The Seika Network (4 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (3 chatters)
- TSBRadio (3 chatters)
- Disasterpiece Theater (3 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (3 chatters)
- bridge to Humanity (3 chatters)
- Cage Side Submissions (3 chatters)
- Art Bulla (3 chatters)
- Matty Ps Radio Happy Hour (3 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (3 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (3 chatters)
- Station IWDM (3 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (2 chatters)
- Live with Shirley (2 chatters)
- Packers Talk Radio Network (2 chatters)
- reactionariez (2 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (2 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- Moorish Kemetic Radio (2 chatters)
- American Preppers Radio (2 chatters)
- Da DNell Experience (2 chatters)
- Fire Weekly (2 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (2 chatters)
- URBAN CONTROVERSY RADIO SHOW (2 chatters)
- WHTP Radio Network (2 chatters)
- The Liberal Redneck (2 chatters)
- The Marching Podcast (2 chatters)
- Talking Terror Presents (2 chatters)
- Terrachat Net (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- The Huddle 3 (1 chatters)
- the klicious show (1 chatters)
- The Larry Love Show (1 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (1 chatters)
- The Program Returns (1 chatters)
- The Rad Reality Show (1 chatters)
- VOS FREQ9 RADIO (1 chatters)
- Forecast Radio (1 chatters)
- G Konsciousness Radio (1 chatters)
- Enough Iz Enough (1 chatters)
- Big Brother Spoilers By Mike (1 chatters)
- Bonnie Kaye (1 chatters)
- Ask the Theologian (1 chatters)
- Barbershop Sports (1 chatters)
- Catz1* (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Common Sense Psychic (1 chatters)
- Dollhouse Radio by India Morel (1 chatters)
- Dont Tread On Us (1 chatters)
- Nikki Rich (1 chatters)
- 16 Bit Assassins (1 chatters)
- LadiesTellAll (1 chatters)
- GRANNY GANJA (1 chatters)
- Iconici Radio MMA (1 chatters)
- patriots united (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- Steves segments (1 chatters)
- SURN Host (1 chatters)
- Swaggercountdown (1 chatters)
- KLJN 107 7 (0 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (0 chatters)