SORT BY Relevancy
E RATE REFORM AND ITS EFFECT ON SCHOOLS AND YOUR SCHOOL LIBRARY
with our resident expert E Rate expert John Harrington and his guest Michael Brandau of Beaufort, SC schools
For decades men who attended the infamous and notorious Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys have struggled to overcome the abuse, rapes, beatings and some say the murders that took place at the all boys reform school.
Adjunct Instructor Clare J. Washington and students from the Portland State University Black Studies Department will join former student Johnny Gaddy as he discuss his horrible experience as a student with the Instructor, students and the host Antoinette Harrell.
The book "Dark Days of Horror at Dozier: Rapes, Murders, Beating and Slavery, will be used as the textbook and study guide in her African Americans and 20th Century Slavery course.
Please join host Antoinette Harrell and her special guest.
55 bodies were found at the infamous Dozier Reform School in Marianna, Florida. Cadaver dogs were used to help locate the bodies. Several men like Johnny Lee Gaddy tells of stories of abuse that he suffered at the state-run school.
Johhny Gaddy was 11 years old in 1957 when he says police picked him up in Dade City and sent him to Dozier. He says guards would send dogs after boys who tried to run away, and he never saw several of them again. What’s more, he was counseled not to talk about what he saw…
“And when I was taking the garbage to the pit, and I told the guy, ‘That looks just like a boy’s hand right there, ” says Gaddy. ” He said, ‘Johhny, don’t ever say that again. If you don’t want to be like that, don’t ever say that again.’ So, everything that we seen and heard, we just had to not see it and not hear it.”
Please host Antoinette Harrell and her guest Johnny Lee Gaddy as they discuss this topic,
The Pathway to School Reform: Focus on Instruction in High Poverty Schools
According to the authors of a new heralded book called "Restoring Opportunity: The Crisis of Inequality and the Challenge for American Education," the dominant policy strategies for school improvement over the past two decades, has been test-based accountability and the standards movement. They have not succeeded because neither approach has focused on the difficult task of improving instruction in high-poverty schools and providing students with the coordinated learning experiences they need to master critical skills. This segment will focus on successful practices in schools where students of color have made six times the gains of what is deemed acceptable AYP.
Dr. Yvette Jackson (CEO & Author of Award-winning "The Pedagogy of Confidence," Columbia University’s Teachers College Press)
Dr. Melissa Krull (Professor, Assistant Professor @ Minnesota State University, Mankato)
Dr. Aldo Scioli (Superintendent, Robbinsdale Public Schools, Minnesota)
Johnny Lee Gaddy, a student at the reform school in 1957, recalled getting beaten in a dormitory, and being threatened with his life by a school guard named "Mr. Marvin." For the first time in over fifty years Johnny talks about what happen to him at Arthur G. Dozier Reform School for Boys. For decades he lived with this horrible nightmares that wouldn't go away. Please join host Antoinette Harrell and Johnny Lee Gaddy Co-Author of the new book " Dark Days of Horror at Dozier" Rapes, Murders, Beating & Slavery.
Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/rape-torture-murder-alleged-at-dozier-reform-school#ixzz2qoNR67nd
The Florida School for Boys also known as the Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys was a reform school operated by the state of Florida in the panhandle town of Marianna from January 1, 1900 to June 0, 2011. For a time, it was the largest juvenile reform institution in the United States. A second campus was opened in the town of Okeechobee in 1955. Throughout its 111-year history, the school gained aa reputation for abuse, beatings, rapes, torture, and even murder of students by staff. Despite periodic investigations, changes in leadership and promises to improve, the allegations of cruelty and abuse continued. Many of the allegations were confirmed by separate investigations by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in 2010 and the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice in 2011. State authorities finally closed the school permanently in June 2011.
The abuse at Dozier Reform School in Marianna, Florida has hit the air waves all over the world. Yet, a lot of people still haven't heard of the horrible beating, abuse, rapes and even the murders that took place there.
Please join host Antoinette Harrell and several of the black men who were abused as boys at Dozier Reform School in Florida.
Sam Thurman, Cliff Stewart and Lisa Stewart of the Colorado exoneration firm A Just Cause, discuss what happens when the wheels of justice trample unbridled over the rights of innocent Americans.
Although the American system of justice is the most-respected worldwide, it is still a system designed, and operated, by humans, which means it's not perfect. Sam, Cliff, and Lisa will highlight ongoing struggles against "the system" to free wrongfully imprisoned people, and what happens when justice miscarries against an actually innocent person.
Our Special Guest for tonight's show is Retired, Lower Court Judge, Donna Hamm. She is the founder and Executive Director of Middle Ground Prison Reform, an all-volunteer non-profit organization, officially formed in 1983 in Tempe, Arizona.
A Just Cause is currently campaigning for "FreeTheIRP6," who's been wrongly imprisoned in Florence, CO for a crime they didn't commit. Read full story: www.freetheirp6.org.
For more information, about A Just Cause and to Donate to the IRP6 legal defense fund, visit www.a-justcause.com.
Follow us on Twitter: @AJCRadio, @A_JustCause, @FreeTheeIRP6, @FreeeTheIRP6 and Like our Facebook Pages: https://www.facebook.com/AJustCauseCoast2Coast, and https://www.facebook.com/AJustCauseCO, https://www.facebook.com/FreetheIRP6
Thank you for your support!
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (419 chatters)
- Blueshirt Underground (22 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (21 chatters)
- thelordshour (20 chatters)
- Curious Times (17 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (14 chatters)
- The Sorceress Cagliastro (12 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (12 chatters)
- Odwirafo (11 chatters)
- SUPER HOST (10 chatters)
- Vinny Bond (9 chatters)
- Xpoze Radio (7 chatters)
- DavetheMystic (7 chatters)
- AirWavesAmerica (6 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (5 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (4 chatters)
- Beyond the Airwaves TIP (4 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (4 chatters)
- Butterfly Evolution (4 chatters)
- SSRN (4 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (4 chatters)
- Harvest Time Alert (4 chatters)
- Goddess Rhonda (4 chatters)
- Top Star Hip Hop Radio (4 chatters)
- Variety Radio Online (3 chatters)
- Just Us Radio Network (3 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (3 chatters)
- OneXHeart Messages with Robin (3 chatters)
- Levitating Mindsets Network (3 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (3 chatters)
- Father Teresa (2 chatters)
- DPRPresents (2 chatters)
- Cardboard Connection Radio (2 chatters)
- Apostle Antonia (2 chatters)
- Stilettos And Convos (2 chatters)
- SURN Host (2 chatters)
- HME Network (2 chatters)
- Jay King Network (2 chatters)
- teamgrindhard (2 chatters)
- The Hilltop Radio Show (2 chatters)
- The Life Oasis Empowerment Radio (2 chatters)
- WTLC Talk Radio (2 chatters)
- Woman 2 Woman1 (1 chatters)
- The Daily Broward Show (1 chatters)
- Late Night with Rev Larry (1 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (1 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (1 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (1 chatters)
- mrmakeithappen (1 chatters)
- AmericanPatriotRadio (1 chatters)
- CommonSenseConversations (1 chatters)
- Dragon vs Dragon (1 chatters)
- Free Thinking Radio (0 chatters)