SORT BY Relevancy
I have been the principal of Highland Elementary School for the past 8 years. I lead a school in which 99% of our students are on Free or Reduced Lunch and all but a handful of students are either immigrants or children of immigrants. Our school has the 2nd highest homeless population in the area. The native tongue of the majority of our students is Kanjobal, an unwritten, Native American language found mainly in Guatemala. From the very beginning of my term here at Highland, we realized that in order to level the playing field for our students we must build our family/early childhood education program. We are determined to do just that. Our long range plan is to provide an education to all 2-4 year olds and their families in our section of the City of Lake Worth.
Through our Bridges Program at Highland, we take a “whole family” approach to early childhood education. We believe that we must not only educate the child in our Pre-K program, but we must also address the needs of the entire family in order to ensure that the gains we make in Pre-K are sustained over time. Our belief is that if the family’s needs are met, the parents can better participate as their children’s educations high school. Therefore our Bridges Program works with families to ensure that they have shelter, food, medical care, parenting skills, knowledge of our educational system, GED and ESOL classes for parents and older siblings, mentors for older siblings as well as a quality Pre-K education (starting at age 2).
Dave Russell holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering and a Masters in Elementary Math Education.
He left industry to teach and work to affect positive change in American Math Education.
While working as a middle school math teacher, he has served as the Union Co-Chair for his district’s Math Steering Committee, served on the District Pacing Guide and Benchmark Assessment committees, served on the textbook adoption committees, has participated in a California Mathematics and Science Partnership Grant in a leadership capacity, and is currently a mentor/coach in a second California Mathematics and Science Partnership Grant.
He is currently selected to participate in California Teachers Association Institute for Teaching Regional Teacher Think Tank as well as The California Department of Education teacher focus group on the revision of the Mathematics Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (Mathematics Framework) and is in the selection process to serve on The California Department of Education Supplemental Instructional Materials Review Panel.
Discussion for Tuesday night how the LA Times and reporter Jason Felch are going after teachers with Value Added Assesements.
Our guest Tuesday night at 9 PM EDT is Carolyn Jacobson. Carolyn is a 13 year veteran English teacher at a Title 1 middle school in the Los Angeles Unified School District. She feared for the calculated destruction of public schools in 2002 when she was first introduced to "evaluating data" with NCLB. Her fears were verified in 2007 with a campaign speech given by Obama where he touted the tenants of his RTTT and Blueprint to come. Now she finds herself on the front lines against those market-based reforms being executed by a Broad bought Mayor and Board of Ed, a Broad trained Superintendent, who is also a former Gates Foundation Executive, and a media (major newspaper and two local TV stations) who cheer lead for the oligarchs and their minion - no surprise since they are owned by the Chicago Tribune...who are trying to sell to Broad.
Carolyn can be found on Twitter @cajacobson
As alaways, the call in # is 917 932 8721
The Great Education Reform Debate 3
Larry Sand VS TFT
Each will have a mystery partner for the debate. The topics to be debated are The topics will be merit pay, collective bargaining, RTTT, and small class size.
THIS HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED AT THE LAST MINUTE DUE TO ILLNESS. THE SHOW WILL AIR JANUARY 20!!!!!
The guest for January 18, 2011 will be the president of the Christina(DE)school board,John M. Young. John write a groundbreaking and informative blog,http://transparentchristina.wordpress.com He also can be found on Twitter @ED_in_DE John was only one of two board members to vote against acceptance the tentacles of RtTT.
The Christina school district is Delware's largest school district and encompasses most of Wilmington and its suburbs. The superintendent of Christina is former District 16, Brooklyn Superintendent Dr. Marcia V. Lyles. Lyles is a graduate of the Bloom/Klein method of education deform.
As always, the call in # is 917 932 8721
Join Host Live Chats
- John Baptist (141 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (61 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (42 chatters)
- thelordshour (29 chatters)
- Ms Blue (28 chatters)
- Nite Callers Bigfoot Radio (21 chatters)
- HOV Radio (21 chatters)
- Curious Times (21 chatters)
- Paradigm Shift Radio (20 chatters)
- MCMJimmy (16 chatters)
- Rich Wilson (14 chatters)
- Truth Emerges (10 chatters)
- Universal Radio (8 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (8 chatters)
- Lifeline with Cindy Sommer (8 chatters)
- LivingParanormal (8 chatters)
- Get Real LOL uncensored reality tv (7 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (6 chatters)
- Know Thyself Radio Network (6 chatters)
- The Biblical Hebrew (5 chatters)
- Jay King Network (5 chatters)
- TJMorrisETRadio (5 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (4 chatters)
- vortexnetworknews (4 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (4 chatters)
- CopRot Radio (4 chatters)
- Libertys Thunder (4 chatters)
- Rapture Ready Radio (4 chatters)
- The Black Geeks (3 chatters)
- The Lotus Place (3 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (3 chatters)
- A Life of Thoughts (3 chatters)
- amyalkon (2 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (2 chatters)
- The Random Frequency Network (2 chatters)
- The Seika Network (2 chatters)
- Prophecy at the Midnight Hour (2 chatters)
- SharonWAlker0 (2 chatters)
- SURN Host (2 chatters)
- UP AND DOWN RADIO (1 chatters)
- UrbanLiteraryReview (1 chatters)
- KWOD Radio (1 chatters)
- Chocolate 108X1XThe Urban Jazz Conn (1 chatters)
- 2nd Chance Lifestyle Show (1 chatters)
- Andrew Aloha (1 chatters)
- Black Whole Radio (1 chatters)
- John J Nazarian Unleashed (1 chatters)