SORT BY Relevancy
in Self Help
Helping to educate and raise awareness Deborah Shunk grew up wearing a an above the knee prosthesis. From scuba diving to snow skiing to flying a glider she has met life head on and works to help other women in business as well as children and animals.
This fantastic lady does not know the word can't.
Sarah H. of Knoxville was born 12 weeks premature. Before she left the hospital she had serious challenges to overcome. But this tiny baby was also born with a strong spirit and a can-do attitude that have helped her through those and many additional challenges in the first 23 years of her life.
Sarah is a member of Club Vibes (http://www.club-vibes.org/) an organization created by John and Sue Buckley to assist blind and visually impaired young people in the Knoxville area to live independent and productive lives by identifying their unique capacities and developing their individual strengths. They recruit "pilots" who steer tandem bicycles while a visually impaired young person "stokes" in the rear.
Sarah and Sue join Mike and Joyce to talk about Sarah's medical journey and her outstanding academic journey which she hopes will lead her to a career in medicine.
Discussion of the society's perception that breast prostheses post mastectomy are soley cosmetic in nature.
Ever heard the phrase..."If you didn't vote, you can't complain"?
Recently a senior businesswoman remarked to me over coffee, "its all coming too fast, there is really nothing we can do!" Over the past 5 years, the post mastectomy profession has had its own personalized introduction to the political two-step, finding that politics and acts of congress control even the minutest details of the provision of breast prostheses and breast care.
THRUOUREYES W/JOE RUFFALO 8:00- 9:00PM Live! - No Show this month IBC - FACT AND FALLACIES 9:00 - 10:00pm LIVE! - Janet Cockburn,18 year survivor, saw a need for a sports bra for those who had breast surgery. She creatd the sports bra, then needed a prosthesis..Been-A-Boob® was born! janac is passionate with helping woman feel comfortable, confident and be the woman she wants to be.
How's LIFE? Is it FULL of LAUGHTER? Is is FULL of JOY? Is it totally MUNDANE? Are we USING every PRECIOUS moment we have to LIVE? Are we saying it's GOOD TO BE ALIVE? How do we handle LIFE when BAD THINGS HAPPEN?
Meet Melinda Minton; a mother, a successful business woman, a world explorer, an author, a woman overflowing with laughter and a bi-lateral amputee. Listen to her story of flu-like symptoms that was found to be Necrotizing Fasciitis, a Strep A germ that kills more often than not. Her journey that includes: "death", a coma, listening to the doctors tell her she would lose part of her lips, part of her tongue, and her legs, the painful rehabilitation, the fitting of prosthesis, learning to crawl and walk again. And, most importantly, Melinda LAUGHS! She is able to say with all confidence, "IT'S GOOD TO BE ALIVE!"
Melinda Minton, author of RAW, extreme living, states on her website: "It is interesting that many respond to my physical presence as if I were a live, vibrant, running around, laughing two-footed creature and I am. It is only when they hear of a “disability” that their perspective changes. I like to live as if this were my last moment so attacking the joy that life so willingly offers has always been my only option. My children have aptly pointed out that if I ever need to I can take my legs off and use them for something…to dig a trench, self defense, to plant a tree or to place the foundation for something else that I am building."
Spiritual Food for Thought welcomes Cancer Survivior Shondia McFadden-Sabari.A former elementary school teacher, Shondia was diagnosed with breast cancer, December 23, 2010. She is passionate about encouraging and motivating women to get mammograms. Shondia is a proud member of the Henry County Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. She is a board member, for the Georgia Breast Cancer Coalition.
Shondia shares: “I had a bilateral mastectomy on February 11, 2011 and I decided not to do reconstructive surgery or wear breast forms. Diagnosed at the age of 36, I am so blessed! I’m confident and very proud of myself, that I’m bold enough to show other women, that if they get a Mastectomy, its okay to buy more breasts or wear prosthesis, but its also okay if you don’t do any of that.”
Shondia McFadden-Sabari is the creator of Bold and Breastless, a movement that uplifts breast cancer survivors and shares resources through outreach and advocacy.
"just because you think they are out to get you, doesn't mean your wrong!"
Previously it has been widely understood that "whatever Medicare covers or does not cover directly affects commercial insurance payer coverage".
This week AABCP began to look into commercial external breast prosthesis coverage nationwide and has found some interesting things...
I've always heard that there are no such things as "silly questions" Ha, but...Silly questions definitely make the day.
Join us for 30 minutes dedicated to post mastectomy providers. Open to all questions about business, regulations or politics.
Are you a breast cancer survivor with questions about your post mastectomy options? Join us next week
All Katrina Simpkins longs to be is a normal girl. Because she must wear prosthesis as a leg, she feels anything but. When she meets and befriends Winter, the tailless dolphin, at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, everything changes, including Katrina’s whole life. Read the story of these real life partners in courage!
Exploring the never ending Politics of Breast Cancer. With a focus on the growing Specialization of post surgical Breast Care or post mastectomy care. We will highlight, resources, new trends and technologies in post mastectomy treatments including new types of external breast prosthesis and other items necessary for post surgical recovery.
We will also address the needs of Certified Fitters: the health care professionals that provide post mastectomy care in a variety of settings including Boutiques, Hospitals and Clinics.
Always remember….The Scar’s of breast cancer last a lifetime!”
We Thank you for joining the conversation….Let’s talk again soon!
Investigative Journalist, Suzanne Marcus Fletcher, follows up on her coverage of the murder of 10 year old Australian native, Zahra Clare Baker. Just over 8 weeks ago, Zahra's step-mother, Elisa Baker, plead guilty to second-degree murder in the death of 10-year-old stepdaughter, Zahra and will serve 14 years and seven months to 18 years in prison.
Elisa Baker, 43, was charged with obstruction of justice in Zahra’s disappearance on Oct. 10, 2010 one day after the two-time cancer survivor was reported missing. Zahra had lost most of her hearing and had to have part of her left leg amputated due to Cancer.
Zahra's dismembered remains, including her prosthesis, were found scattered in Caldwell in late October and November of 2010. Investigators were never able to locate her head, wherein her death was ruled an undetermined homicide at that time.
Join Host Live Chats
- Phoenix3333 (157 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (96 chatters)
- thelordshour (28 chatters)
- Star Nations Radio Network (16 chatters)
- LauraDiPrete (15 chatters)
- Candelos Corner Radio (14 chatters)
- Dr C Robert Jones III (13 chatters)
- MABIM (13 chatters)
- Bellesprit (9 chatters)
- PRNRadioNetwork (9 chatters)
- Stupid Cancer Show (8 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (8 chatters)
- DA PUTER SHACK KARAOKE RADIO (7 chatters)
- dtm radio (7 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (6 chatters)
- Omega Man (6 chatters)
- We Built That Network (6 chatters)
- Truf Bros (5 chatters)
- Gnosis Kardia (5 chatters)
- HitMan Ministries (4 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (4 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (4 chatters)
- TopSportsReport (4 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (4 chatters)
- Universal School Of Thought (3 chatters)
- The Sorceress Cagliastro (3 chatters)
- The Captain0 (3 chatters)
- The Grace View (3 chatters)
- Stilettos And Convos (3 chatters)
- Political T and T (3 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (3 chatters)
- SpinSyndicate Radio (3 chatters)
- Bill Murray (3 chatters)
- AirWavesAmerica (3 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (3 chatters)
- LadiesTellAll (2 chatters)
- Intuitive Guidance Lindsay Marino (2 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (2 chatters)
- Butterfly Evolution (2 chatters)
- Coffee Party USA (2 chatters)
- EPiphany The 4REALRADIONETWORK (2 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (2 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (2 chatters)
- Fire Talk Radio (2 chatters)
- SSRN (2 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (2 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (2 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (2 chatters)
- New Beginning Outreach (2 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (2 chatters)
- Starz Psychics Network (2 chatters)
- The GreenHouse FX (2 chatters)
- The Literary Corner (2 chatters)
- The Random Frequency Network (2 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (1 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (1 chatters)
- Time For A Awakening (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- ParaAnne (1 chatters)
- Radio Enso (1 chatters)
- Raising The Roof Media (1 chatters)
- Really Doe Radio (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (1 chatters)
- FoReRadio (1 chatters)
- Fulfilled Dynamics (1 chatters)
- ExpandingU RADIO (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- AirAmarteifioRadio (1 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (1 chatters)
- Lady Faatimah (1 chatters)
- Marijuana Compassion Common Sense (1 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (1 chatters)
- Truth Emerges (1 chatters)
- Woman2WomanTalkingToMen (1 chatters)
- JUST US RADIO NETWORK (0 chatters)