SORT BY Relevancy
POPSspot Sports Radio welcomes Dr. Charlene Teters, (Spokane) as this week's special guest. Known for her activism and art, She is presently a professor at the Institute of American Indian Arts in Santa Fe, New Mexico. As a founding Board Member of the National Coalition on Racism in Sports and the Media, her activist-career began with a vigorous dispute with the University of Illinois over their use of a stereotyped image of an American Indian for the school’s sports mascot. She picketed sports events and launched a national debate about the appropriateness of this practice by sports and media. This history of Teters’ work is the subject of a nationally aired award winning documentary “In Whose Honor?” by Jay Rosenstein.
POPSspot Sports Radio explores the Real Madness behind the NCAA and much more with Dave Zirin who writes about the politics of sports for the Nation Magazine, their first sports writer in 150 years of existence. Winner of Sport in Society and Northeastern University School of Journalism's 'Excellence in Sports Journalism' Award, Zirin is also the host of Sirius XM Radio’s popular weekly show, Edge of Sports Radio. He has been called “the best sportswriter in the United States,” by Robert Lipsyte, and has been named one of UTNE Reader's 50 Visionaries Who Are Changing Our World."
Game Over: How Politics Has Turned the Sports World Upside Down is his latest of six books, Race, Power, and Politics in American Sports is his latest documentary, and he can be found as a regular television guest.
POPSspot Sports Radio will be discussing Northwestern players' fight to unionize, Desean Jackson's release by the Eagles, Richard Sherman, and this week's upcoming Race and Sports Conference with special guest Drew Brown. Brown is an African American Studies Ph.D. Student and a Race and Sports scholar at Temple University, where he teaches courses such as "African Americans in Sports" and "Sports and Leisure in American Society." Drew is a native of Windsor, Ontario CANADA. He attended Lafayette College on a football scholarship where he received a BA in Economics and Business. He was drafted into the Canadian Football League and spent a short time with the Edmonton Eskimos. He went on to complete a Master’s in African American Studies at Clark Atlanta University before enrolling at Temple. He is currently writing his dissertation on how off-the-field characteristics of Black NFL prospects function during the interview phase of the NFL drafting process. Drew is the founder and chair of an annual race and sports conference, Passing the Ball, the next which will be held April 12, 2014 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
As Lebron James contemplates his free-agent future, POPSspot Sports Radio takes a look back at the 4-year anniversary of "The Decision" - July 8, 2010. Lebron's famous declaration to "take his talents to South Beach" overshadowed the other famous decision that day -- the slap-on-wrist sentencing of Johannes Mehserle, the white Oakland police officer caught on videtape killing Oscar Grant. Ultimately, Mehserle would only serve only 11 months, and his release from jail which would also occur on the same day as the last game of the 2011 NBA Finals. Each time, the incredibly negative attention given to Lebron overshadowed mass protests that surrounded both Mehserle's sentencing and release. During this period, few outside of Oakland would even recognize the name of Johannes Mehsele at all.
Local outcries begging the nation to be concerned about Oscar Grant and the vulnerable lives of youth of color would be replaced by protests, hatred, and publically burnt jerseys of one Black man.This week's special guest is the Ms. Wanda Johnson, the mother of Oscar grant who has been a tireless voice for justice in policing since her son's death. In "The Decision Remix" we will reprioritize our national humanity and have the discussion we always should have had, Ms. Johnson will discuus her son's case, little-known facts around "The Decision", the 4-year aftermath, the critically acclaimed motion picture Fruitvale Station, and how everyday citizens can help save lives.
POPSspot Sports Radio's post-Oscar's special features Dr. Frederick Gooding who is a former trial attorney who decided to transition from the courtroom to the classroom. He currently serves as Assistant Professor of Media Literacy and Black History at the University of Northern Arizona, having taught collegiate courses at California State University, Northridge, University of New Mexico and Georgetown University. Dr. Gooding is also co-founder of The Minority Reporter, a media literacy enterprise that provokes critical thinking by promoting substantive discussion about race, media and pop culture in high school and college classrooms and is author of the foundational text, “You Mean, There’s Race in My Movie?” available here. In his spare time, Gooding and the Queen teach critical thinking for life at www.itslifetime.com.
"Teaching Donald Sterling" is the first of many POPSspot Sports Radio shows where local educators explain how they use sports as a teachable moment with the young people they serve.
David Watts is a student-athlete educational consultant, motivational speaker, administrator, teacher, coach, and student advocate. With over 25 years of practical experience as a student-athlete, researcher, coach and mentor, Mr. Watts speaks and conducts workshops and symposiums for student-athletes in the areas of academic achievement, college decision-making process, Diversity & Multiculturalism, and Student-Athlete Advocacy. If you are a HS student-athlete who lives in LA, be sure to make the Los Angeles Student-Athlete Symposium, Saturday, May 24th at Loyola, Marymount University/University Hall.
James Haberl is a High School English Teacher from Skokie, Illinois whose courses include Literature of Sports and American Culture. Haberl will share feedback from from his students to the Donald Sterling tapes and how those reactions can be integrated into greater socio-cultural exploration.
POPSspot Sports Radio welcomes emcee and community activist Jasiri X who has utilized both hip-hop and popular culture, including sports, to reach young people. His ground breaking internet news series, This Week with Jasiri X, has garnered critical acclaim, thousands of subscribers, and millions of internet views. From the controversial viral video What if the Tea Party was Black?, to the hard hitting hilarity of Republican Woman…stay away from me, Jasiri X cleverly uses Hip-Hop to provide social commentary on a variety of issues. His videos have been featured on websites as diverse as Allhiphop.com and The Huffington Post and Jasiri has been a guest on BET Rap City, The Michael Baisden Show, Free Speech TV, Left of Black, and Russia Today.
Jasiri X first burst on the National and International Hip-Hop scene with the powerful hit song Free The Jena 6 which was played on more than 100 radio stations and was named Hip-hop Political Song of the Year. His debut album, American History X, was named Album of the Year at the Pittsburgh Hip-Hop Awards. A six time Pittsburgh Hip-Hop Award winner, Jasiri recently became the first Hip-Hop artist to received the coveted August Wilson Center for African American Culture Fellowship. A founding member of the anti-violence group One Hood, Jasiri started the 1Hood Media Academy to teach young African-American boys how to analyze and create media for themselves.
Michael Sam has been officially drafted, Donald Sterling has "apologized", and Johnny Manziel's jerseys are already flying off the shelves. POPSspot Sports Radio welcomes Jeffrey Montez de Oca is an Assistant Professor in the Sociology department at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. His research has focused on college football, media, inequality,and popular culture during the early cold war. He is the author of Discipline and Indulgence: College Football Media, and the American Way of Life During the Cold War (2013), Rutgers University Press
POPSpot Sports Radio will chat with James Donaldson, a former NBA All-Star, and current author, global ambassador, and community activist. Donaldson will share his views on why the NBA should develop a “real” mentoring program, why the NCAA should set aside a deferred "trust fund" for athletes who graduate, and why his longtime community activism has spread all the way to China.
James Donaldson is a Washington State University graduate (’79). After an outstanding basketball career with WSU, he went on to play professional basketball in for many NBA teams (including 1988 All-Star with Dallas Mavericks), several European teams, and Greece, and he toured with The Harlem Globetrotters to wrap up his career. In 2010, James was elected as a board member for the NBA Retired Players Association, and was the recipient of the NBA Legends of Basketball ABC Award, awarded for outstanding contributions in Athletics–Business–Community.
Currently, James is a director in China with the China Service Center for Friendship and Cooperation with Foreign Countries Studying Abroad Department.
POPSspot Radio welcomes guest Dr. Nicole M. LaVoi has been a Senior Lecturer at the University of Minnesota since 2005, where she is also the Associate Director of the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport, and the co-founder of the Minnesota Youth Sport Research Consortium. Dr. LaVoi was the Head Women’s Tennis Coach at Wellesley College, and played at Gustavus Adolphus College where her team won the NCAA-III National Championships in 1990, and she was a two time Academic All-American.
Dr LaVoi launched a Women in College Coaching Research Series and Report Card aimed at increasing the number of women in the coaching profession, and co-producing a documentary titled Media Coverage & Female Athletes: Women Play Sports, Just Not in the Media (2013). As a public scholar she maintains a blog, One Sport Voice —a critical commentary on all things sport which is part of the WomenTalkSports.com blog network.
Brenda Cherry's Change.org petition has already received over 100,000 signatures, but felony charges have yet to be dropped for Joquan Wallace, a student and accomplished athlete at Paris High School in Texas. Wallace received permission from his teacher to use the restroom, but ended up with a trip to the emergency room, two felony charges, and potential loss of sports scholarships. According to numerous witness, Wallace was the victim, not the perpetrator. What happened and what can be done?
POPSspot welcomes Brenda Cherry, President and Co-Founder of Concerned Citizens for Racial Equality, who is fighting to get the felony charges dropped and allow Joquan to graduate with his sister. Similar incidents and institutional racism are nothing new in Paris, Texas. We will also be joined by Creola Cotton, mother of ShaQuanda Cotton the 14 year-old who made national headlines in 2007 after shoving a hall monitor and receiving an initial prison sentence for 7 years. We will get an update on ShaQuanda's case and current status, and how we can support efforts to combat the school-to-prison pipeline.
POPSspot Sports Radio is celebrating Baseball's Opening Day with Dr. Lisa Doris Alexander, an Associate Professor of Africana Studies and author of the book When Baseball Isn’t White, Straight and Male: The Media and Difference in the National Pastime. Her work analyzes issues of race, class, gender, and sexual identity in popular culture and has appeared in NINE: A Journal of Baseball History and American Culture, the Journal of Popular Film and Television, and Black Ball: A Journal of the Negro Leagues. Professor Alexander earned her doctorate from Bowling Green State University, and her dissertation was entitled “Race on First, Class on Second, Gender on Third, and Sexuality Up to Bat: Intersectionality and Power in Major League Baseball, 1995–2005.” In addition to finishing her dissertation, Professor Alexander taught courses such as “Spike Lee Films” and “Baseball as America.”
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (500 chatters)
- The Sedona Connection (494 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (147 chatters)
- John Baptist (109 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (37 chatters)
- Jennifer Hoffman (36 chatters)
- Talk Real Solutions (36 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (28 chatters)
- thelordshour (23 chatters)
- New Spirit Radio Show (20 chatters)
- Hex Education (18 chatters)
- ViktorAurelius (18 chatters)
- Canadian Motocross Weekly (15 chatters)
- canadianglen (14 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (14 chatters)
- Tha Boxingvoice Radio Show (13 chatters)
- The Psychic Viewpoint (12 chatters)
- Dr Pat Holliday (12 chatters)
- FUTURE OF MENTELLECT RADIO (11 chatters)
- Allfaaraa Live (11 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (11 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (11 chatters)
- TheInfiniteSupernaturalNetwork (11 chatters)
- The J Ril Show (10 chatters)
- Star Nations Radio Network (10 chatters)
- Get Real LOL uncensored reality tv (10 chatters)
- FWrestling and EFed Guerillas (9 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (9 chatters)
- The Star Chamber (9 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (8 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (8 chatters)
- AlimBey (8 chatters)
- cathies DistantEchos (8 chatters)
- Odwirafo (8 chatters)
- Bamabird29 (7 chatters)
- CRYPTOLOGIC (7 chatters)
- Debate Talk 4 U (6 chatters)
- 12kyle (6 chatters)
- Ms KiKi (6 chatters)
- MMA Jam Live (6 chatters)
- LetsGetMetaphysical (6 chatters)
- sun752 (6 chatters)
- Tarhaka (6 chatters)
- The Boneyard0 (6 chatters)
- Littany (5 chatters)
- MASTERTEACHER33 (5 chatters)
- Big Brother Spoilers By Mike (5 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (5 chatters)
- DLFootball (5 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (4 chatters)
- Dirtyredz (4 chatters)
- Bridge Between Two Worlds Radio (4 chatters)
- Cardboard Connection Radio (4 chatters)
- Moorish Science Radio (4 chatters)
- Liberal Dan Radio (4 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (4 chatters)
- The Spiritual Radio Network (4 chatters)
- The Stack Off (3 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (3 chatters)
- Pure Flow XChange (3 chatters)
- Quagmire America (3 chatters)
- Prayer Warriors 365 (3 chatters)
- illblogradio (3 chatters)
- Metaphysics and Awareness (3 chatters)
- Ohio Exopolitics (3 chatters)
- Brooklyn GOP Radio (3 chatters)
- BOLD MOVERS RADIO NETWORK (3 chatters)
- AmericanMuslim360 (3 chatters)
- Dave in the City (3 chatters)
- Conservative Nation Radio (3 chatters)
- Feldman World Group (2 chatters)
- Chicago Thunder (2 chatters)
- Lorries Talk News Radio (2 chatters)
- Home Court Sports (2 chatters)
- ISoMH Educational Network (2 chatters)
- JUST US RADIO NETWORK (2 chatters)
- Lennis (2 chatters)
- Prepping For The New World Order (2 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (2 chatters)
- Soul Tree Radio X In The Raw (2 chatters)
- thedean (2 chatters)
- Wicked Space Radio (2 chatters)
- Winning America Back (2 chatters)
- WTLC Talk Radio0 (2 chatters)
- TonyWolfPaw (2 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (2 chatters)
- Totally Driven Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Truth Emerges (1 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (1 chatters)
- TJMorrisETRadio (1 chatters)
- The Tatum Talks (1 chatters)
- The Truth Is Out There0 (1 chatters)
- The Red Room Radio (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- The Elite Fiction Network (1 chatters)
- The Larry Love Show (1 chatters)
- Talk2Q (1 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (1 chatters)
- SURN Host (1 chatters)
- Talk Radio 49 (1 chatters)
- RLwRT (1 chatters)
- RotoRadio (1 chatters)
- Leslie Draper (1 chatters)
- IB Wise Raising The Roof Radio (1 chatters)
- Innovative Black Men (1 chatters)
- Moxie Mind Body Life Coaching (1 chatters)
- Moorish Kemetic Radio (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- Ordinarywmn (1 chatters)
- NewMusicInferno (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- AirAmarteifioRadio (1 chatters)
- Barbershop Sports (1 chatters)
- Bards Logic Political Talk (1 chatters)
- Beyond the Airwaves TIP (1 chatters)
- BFD Fantasy Football (1 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (1 chatters)
- Erica Q Cooper Talk Show (1 chatters)
- DynastySoundtrack (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Dimensions of Quantum (1 chatters)
- Nerdy 30s (0 chatters)