SORT BY Relevancy
Listen in to Fieldstone Common this week as host Marian Pierre-Louis talks to Heli Meltsner, author of The Poorhouses of Massachusetts.
Ever since the English settled in America, extreme poverty and the inability of individuals to support themselves and their families have been persistent problems. In the early nineteenth century, many communities established almshouses, or "poorhouses," in a valiant but ultimately failed attempt to assist the destitute, including the sick, elderly, unemployed, mentally ill and orphaned, as well as unwed mothers, petty criminals and alcoholics.
This work details the rise and decline of poorhouses in Massachusetts, painting a portrait of life inside these institutions and revealing a history of constant political and social turmoil over issues that dominate the conversation about welfare recipients even today. The first study to address the role of architecture in shaping as well as reflecting the treatment of paupers, it also provides photographs and histories of dozens of former poorhouses across the state, many of which still stand.
Heli Meltsner, the curator of the Cambridge Historical Society, has been a town planner and a preservation consultant, undertaking numerous nominations to the National Register of Historic Places and historic resource inventories for municipalities and state agencies. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
For more details and upcoming schedule see: http://FieldstoneCommon.blogspot.com
LIVE: THURSDAY, 15 November 2012 at 1:00pm EST
Find out what the New York State Archives in Albany holds for genealogists as Dr. Jim Folts shares his unsurpassed knowledge of the archives with us. We'll explore military records, tax records, vital records, little-used gems at the state archives and more. Jim is head of researcher services.
NY State Archives: http://www.archives.nysed.gov/aindex.shtml
NY State Dept of Health Genealogical Research Death Index starting 1957:
Ancestry.com NY Portal: http://www.archives.nysed.gov/a/research/res_ancestry.shtml
New York State Cultural Education Center in Albany.
Digitized images available to New York residents via the Ancestry.com New York:
Abstracts of Civil War Muster Rolls, New York State Archives series 13775. Sample image126th Infantry Regiment, record for Pvt. William Baker
Census of Poorhouses and Almshouses, New York State Archives series A1978. Sample image: Ulster County Poorhouse, 1888.
Join Host Live Chats
- Talk Real Solutions (44 chatters)
- Curious Times (22 chatters)
- Get Real LOL uncensored reality tv (18 chatters)
- Omega Man Channel 2 (12 chatters)
- Love Productions (11 chatters)
- The Rad Reality Show (11 chatters)
- The Hermetic Hour (9 chatters)
- Justice Lab (8 chatters)
- OPWR (8 chatters)
- Brian Treybig (5 chatters)
- Ron Reck (5 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (5 chatters)
- The View from Montana (3 chatters)
- The Jacob Kohinoor Show (3 chatters)
- 1twopunch (3 chatters)
- Bay Bridge Sports Hub (3 chatters)
- Quagmire America (3 chatters)
- God In The Midst (2 chatters)
- Disclosure Media Network (2 chatters)
- 2Raw4TV (2 chatters)
- teamgrindhard (2 chatters)
- The American Republic (2 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (2 chatters)
- Big C Radio (1 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Diane Grimble Ministries N Friends (1 chatters)
- EPiphany The 4REALRADIONETWORK (1 chatters)
- Janie Deadwyler (1 chatters)
- ROAD2STARDOM RADIO (1 chatters)