SORT BY Relevancy
Join us on Wednesday, Sept. 18 when our guest on Studio SPJ will be Mark Segal, founder and publisher of the Philadelphia Gay News. Segal is one of the founders and former president of the National Gay Press Association and the National Gay Newspaper Guild. He founded PGN in 1975, making it one of the oldest gay newspapers in the United States. He also has covered gay life from place like Lebanon, Cuba and East Berlin during the time when the Berlin Wall was torn down. He represented the gay press and lectured in Moscow and St. Petersburg at Russia's first openly gay conference. Recently he was inducted into the GLBT Journalist Hall of Fame by the National Gay and Lesbian Journalists Association.
Join us on Saturday Aug. 10 at 2 p.m. Eastern noon / Mountain time when our guest on Studio SPJ will be M. E. Sprengelmeyer, reporter and publisher of the Guadalupe County Communicator.
Before purchasing the weekly paper in New Mexico in 2009, Sprengelmeyer worked at the Rocky Mountain News, where he served in the paper's Washington bureau.
He had covered the Iraq War and the 2008 Presidential campaign for the Rocky. But when the paper folded in February 2009, Sprengelmeyer decided to take a new direction as the owner of a small community paper with a circulation of about 2,000.
Earlier this year, he served as a speaker at SPJ's Region 9 Conference in Santa Fe.
In this half-hour program, he will talk with Rio Grande SPJ chapter member Laura Paskus about his experience and his belief that "the future of print is print."
This program is co-sponsored by SPJ's Rio Grande chapter.
Join us on Friday, Oct. 4 at 1 p.m. Eastern / 10 a.m. Pacific when our guest on Studio SPJ will be journalist and author Seth Rosenfeld. Rosenfeld, a former reporter of the San Francisco Chronicle and San Francisco Examiner, is the author of "Subversives, the FBI's War on Student Radicals and Reagan's Rise to Power." He also is the winner of SPJ's Sunshine Award this year and a past winner (2003) of the SDX Foundation's Eugene S. Pulliam First Amendment Award. Both awards recognized Rosenfeld's brilliant and dogged work in peeling back layer after layer of secrecy though his skillful and persistent use of the Freedom of Information Act. His fight to force the government to comply with the Act led to a series of court rulings that strengthened citizen access to federal public records. It also forced the release of some 300,000 documents and resulted in a judgement of $1 million to pay his pro bono attorneys' fees. Studio SPJ is an on-going series of conversations with journalists on topics of interest to the profession. This episode is co-sponsored by the Northern California chapter of SPJ.
Join us on Monday, Aug. 26 at 11 a.m. Eastern / 8 a.m. Pacific as we wrap up our live coverage of Excellence in Journalism 2013 with a conversation with two up and coming SPJ leaders.
Our guests will be Dana Neuts, a candidate for SPJ President-elect and Paul Fletcher, a candidate for SPJ Secretary-Treasurer. Both are running unopposed.
We'l talk about the state of the society and what they hope to accomplish as members of the executive committee.
Neuts has been a freelance journalist since 2003. She is the owner/publisher of iLoveKent.net.
She currently serves as SPJ Secretary-Treasurer. She previously served as Region 10 Director and as president of the Western Washington SPJ Chapter.
Fletcher is publisher and editor-in-chief of Virginia Lawyers Weekly, a newspaper and website for the legal profession in Richmond, Va. where he has worked since 1988.
He has served as president of the Virginia Pro chapter of SPJ for the last two years.
Join us for the third in a series of live broadcasts from the Excellence in Journalism 2013 conference in Anaheim, Ca. on Sunday, Aug. 25 at 3:30 p.m. Pacific / 6:30 p.m. Eastern.
Our guests will be Linda Petersen, chair of the SPJ Ethics committee and Deidre Woollard, a community editor with Realtor.com.
Petersen will talk about the reaction to a recent study her committee conducted on the relationship between reporters covering federal agencies and the public information officers who represent those agencies.
Woollard will talk about a program she will be presenting on Monday called "Owning your beat online."
Wisconsin television anchor/reporter Jennifer Livingston made headlines of her own in October went she responded on air to a viewer who criticized her as being overweight. The incident sparked a national discussion about obesity, self-esteem and bullying. It also put Livingston in the unusual position of being part of the news rather than the person reporting it. Now that a few months have passed, Livington has agreed to be our guest on Studio SPJ. The half-ho
Join us for the next installment of Studio SPJ live from the Excellence in Journalism Conference on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 6:30 p.m / 3:30 Pacific.
Our guests will be Kevin Smith, chairman of the SPJ Ethics Committee and Robert Leger, president of the SDX Board.
Smith, a former SPJ president, will talk about whether the SPJ Ethics Code needs to be updated for an age in which journalism has gone digital. The topic is scheduled to be discussed during the EIJ Conference.
Leger, also a former SPJ president, will talk about his plans for the SDX Foundation, which is the non-profit philanthropic arm of SPJ.
Join guest host and national membership committee chair Holly Edgell who will be talking with SPJ President John Ensslin about the possibility of reviving the Society's institutional membership for news organizations. AND, David Sheets, president of the St. Louis Pro Chapter and Freelance Committee member, will also be on the show.
Are young people disconnected from traditional concept of news? If so, what are the implications for news organizations going forward? Those will be two of the topics addressed during our next episode of Studio SPJ on Friday, Dec. 7 at 11 a.m. Central when our guest will be Paula Poindexter, a journalism professor at the University of Texas at Austin. Poindexter will talk about her new book, Millennials, News, and Social Media: Is News Engagement a Thing of the Past? (published by Peter Lang.
Tune in on Saturday, Jan. 5 at noon Eastern when our guest on Studio SPJ will be the author of a new biography on the legendary editorial cartoonist Thomas Nast. The half-hour Internet radio program will feature an interview with Fiona Deans Halloran, whose book "Thomas Nast - The Father of Modern Political Cartoons - will be published by the University of North Carolina Press in January. Nast - who lived from 1840 to 1902 - is best known for inventing the symbols of the don
Join us on Friday, March 15 at noon eastern when our guest on Studio SPJ will be Pulitizer-prize winning photographer and independent journalist Jim MacMillan. MacMillan, a former photographer for the Philadelphia Daily News and the Associated Press, will talk about one of his latest efforts, the Gun Crisis Reporting Project. The non-profit project is an open source journalism organization that attempts to fill the gaps in coverage of gun violence reporting while seeking solutions to the epide
Join National Membership Committee Member and Your SPJ Membership Host Sarah Bauer as she begins the countdown to the Excellence in Journalism 2012 Convention with SPJ President John Ensslin. Learn more about convention speakers and sessions, how to vote for SPJ officers during convention, and what you'll find at the 2012 Journalism Expo. We'll also check in on the 2012 SPJ Membership Drive.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (436 chatters)
- Curious Times (34 chatters)
- KNOW THE LEDGE RADIO (29 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (26 chatters)
- AltCon Radio (23 chatters)
- Horn Sports (22 chatters)
- MCMJimmy (21 chatters)
- Russ Dizdar (19 chatters)
- Love Productions (18 chatters)
- DYNASTY NETWORK 1382 (18 chatters)
- CSTC Podcast Network (18 chatters)
- Marti Oakley (17 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (16 chatters)
- BC Motocross Weekly (16 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (13 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (12 chatters)
- STATE OF MENTELL RADIO (12 chatters)
- TheAllfactsShow (12 chatters)
- BFD Fantasy Football (11 chatters)
- dtm radio (10 chatters)
- Dave in the City (10 chatters)
- Lorries Talk News Radio (10 chatters)
- Bards Logic Political Talk (9 chatters)
- Jay King Network (9 chatters)
- Cardboard Connection Radio (8 chatters)
- Ms KiKi (8 chatters)
- TruthWorks Network (8 chatters)
- thebuttterflyeffect (6 chatters)
- New Colony Network (6 chatters)
- Bamabird29 (6 chatters)
- Barbershop Sports (6 chatters)
- Diva Taunia (6 chatters)
- Billy D Online (5 chatters)
- AMCpress news and views (5 chatters)
- RHeart (5 chatters)
- The School of Shamanism (5 chatters)
- The Stew Radio (4 chatters)
- SUPER HOST (4 chatters)
- Survival Radio Network (4 chatters)
- Sisters Real Talk (4 chatters)
- Prophetic Conversations (4 chatters)
- Nerdy 30s (4 chatters)
- David Jerry Wes (4 chatters)
- Delicious Talk (3 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (3 chatters)
- Building Universal Consciousness (3 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (3 chatters)
- My Fierce Wings Radio (3 chatters)
- JTT81 (3 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (3 chatters)
- The Elite Fiction Network (3 chatters)
- The Unsung Goddess (3 chatters)
- TiDo Witnesses (3 chatters)
- The Pit Bull Advocate (3 chatters)
- The Ron and Don Show (3 chatters)
- UCLA Football (3 chatters)
- Unseen World (2 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (2 chatters)
- The Football Gurus (2 chatters)
- teamgrindhard (2 chatters)
- Juneau Xena (2 chatters)
- Jon Matthews (2 chatters)
- Real Talk Tiff (2 chatters)
- Royal Thieves Radio (2 chatters)
- Caribbean Radio Show CrsRadio (2 chatters)
- Apostle Malcolm Spurlock (2 chatters)
- 12kyle (2 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (2 chatters)
- Heels Skills Thrills (2 chatters)
- HME Radio (1 chatters)
- Foundation1 OF RASTAFARI (1 chatters)
- Dusk Spot Radio Network (1 chatters)
- 1stfamradio (1 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (1 chatters)
- BGERZY N SUKI SUK SHOW (1 chatters)
- Sack Heads Radio Show (1 chatters)
- Sister LaTeta (1 chatters)
- PURE Motive Radio (1 chatters)
- Robert Mark Todd (1 chatters)
- PAPSITE RADIO (1 chatters)
- Pilates Progressions Program (1 chatters)
- Prayer International (1 chatters)
- Nerdy Black Chicks Talk Radio (1 chatters)
- Omega Man Channel 2 (1 chatters)
- Mystery Babylon News Radio (1 chatters)
- Kawakab (1 chatters)
- KBLU RadioNetwork (1 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (1 chatters)
- Live with Jonathan Moody (1 chatters)
- That Nerd Show (1 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (1 chatters)
- TimNolan1941 (1 chatters)
- The URC Show (1 chatters)
- Welcome to Docradio Network (1 chatters)
- Twisted Universe (1 chatters)
- PASTOR T SANCHEZ (0 chatters)
- Autistic People (0 chatters)
- Jay Rex Music live Talk (0 chatters)