SORT BY Relevancy
Join us on Saturday at 2 p.m. Eastern when our guest on Studio SPJ will be SDX President Robert Leger in a live interview from the Excellence in Journalism conference in Nashville.
Leger, a former SPJ national president, will talk about the year ahead for SDx, the non-profit arm of the society which funds journalism programs. We'll talk about a plan for SDX to take a greater role in overseeing that programming.
Studio SPJ will kick off a series of podcasts called "The Road to Nashville" previewing our upcoming Excellence in Journalism 2014 conference on Sept. 4-6.
Ken Paulson will be our guest for the first of these broadcasts on Thursday at 3 p.m. / 2 p.m. Central time. (Please note: this program was rescheduled from an earlier broadcast date.)
Paulson is the dean of Middle Tennessee State University's College of Mass Communication. He previously has served a president of the First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt University, as president of the Newseum in Washington D.C. and as editor-in-chief at USA Today.
We'll be talking to Ken about Freedom Sings, a musical program at the convention featuring songs that were once banned as well as the tribute planned for the late John Seigenthaler, the former editor of The Tennessean and founder of the First Amendment Center.
Join us on Tuesday, June 17 at noon Eastern when the next broadcast of Studio SPJ will feature two of the people who've assembled the programs for our upcoming Excellence in Journalism Conference on Sept. 4-6 in Nashville.
Amy Tardif, station and news manager for WGCU in Fort Myers, Florida and Scott Leadingham, SPJ's director of education and the editor of Quill Magazine, will give us a preview of what's in store for this year's convention, which takes place at Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center.
This year's convention is another collaboration between the Radio Television Digital News Association and the Society of Professional Journalists.
Click here for more information on the conference.
Join us for the next edition of Studio SPJ when our guest will be Michael Koretzky, SPJ's Region 3 director from South Florida.
Well talk about the debate over changing SPJ's name from the Society of Professional Journalists to the Society for Professional Journalism. This is a topic that came up during last year's Excellence in Journalism conference in Anaheim and will be aired out again later this week at our conference in Nashville.
We'll also talk about a creative program that the South Florida chapter has run in recent years called Will Write for Food. On Labor Day weekend, a group of college journalists from across the county come to Florida to report, edit, photograph and write an edition of a homeless shelter's newspaper.
This 30-minute program is part of a series of broadcasts we'll be doing leading up to and during this year's EIJ 2014 conference
Join us on Wednesday, Sept. 3 at 11 a.m. Eastern / 8 a.m. Pacific when our guests on Studio SPJ witll be Rebecca Tallent and Kevin Smith.
Tallent, an SPJ national board member and chair of the journalism education committee, will talk about SPJ's work in documenting the state of high school journalism education in the United States.
Smith, a former SPJ national president and chair of the ethics committee, will talk about the proposed revisions to SPJ's ethic code.
Both subjects will be discussed at the Excellence in Journalism convention on Sept. 5-7 in Nashville.
This 30-minute program is part of a series of broadcasts leading up to and during the conference
Join us on Wednesday, Sept. 18 when our guest on Studio SPJ will be Mark Segal, founder and publisher of the Philadelphia Gay News. Segal is one of the founders and former president of the National Gay Press Association and the National Gay Newspaper Guild. He founded PGN in 1975, making it one of the oldest gay newspapers in the United States. He also has covered gay life from place like Lebanon, Cuba and East Berlin during the time when the Berlin Wall was torn down. He represented the gay press and lectured in Moscow and St. Petersburg at Russia's first openly gay conference. Recently he was inducted into the GLBT Journalist Hall of Fame by the National Gay and Lesbian Journalists Association.
Join us on Saturday Aug. 10 at 2 p.m. Eastern noon / Mountain time when our guest on Studio SPJ will be M. E. Sprengelmeyer, reporter and publisher of the Guadalupe County Communicator.
Before purchasing the weekly paper in New Mexico in 2009, Sprengelmeyer worked at the Rocky Mountain News, where he served in the paper's Washington bureau.
He had covered the Iraq War and the 2008 Presidential campaign for the Rocky. But when the paper folded in February 2009, Sprengelmeyer decided to take a new direction as the owner of a small community paper with a circulation of about 2,000.
Earlier this year, he served as a speaker at SPJ's Region 9 Conference in Santa Fe.
In this half-hour program, he will talk with Rio Grande SPJ chapter member Laura Paskus about his experience and his belief that "the future of print is print."
This program is co-sponsored by SPJ's Rio Grande chapter.
Join guest host and national membership committee chair Holly Edgell who will be talking with SPJ President John Ensslin about the possibility of reviving the Society's institutional membership for news organizations. AND, David Sheets, president of the St. Louis Pro Chapter and Freelance Committee member, will also be on the show.
Join us on Thursday, Sept. 4 at 4:30 p.m. when SPJ Secretary-Treasurer Paul Fletcher will be our guest in a live broadcast from the Excellence in Journalism conference in Nashville.
Fletcher, the publisher and editor-in-chief of Virginia Lawyers Weekly, is running unopposed this week for the position of national president-elect of SPJ. He is a former president of the Virginia Pro chapter.
We'll talk about his visioin for SPJ's future and his opinions on various issues confronting the Society
Have a question for Fletcher? Feel free to call in during the broadcast by dialing 646-200-4357.
Join us on Friday, Oct. 4 at 1 p.m. Eastern / 10 a.m. Pacific when our guest on Studio SPJ will be journalist and author Seth Rosenfeld. Rosenfeld, a former reporter of the San Francisco Chronicle and San Francisco Examiner, is the author of "Subversives, the FBI's War on Student Radicals and Reagan's Rise to Power." He also is the winner of SPJ's Sunshine Award this year and a past winner (2003) of the SDX Foundation's Eugene S. Pulliam First Amendment Award. Both awards recognized Rosenfeld's brilliant and dogged work in peeling back layer after layer of secrecy though his skillful and persistent use of the Freedom of Information Act. His fight to force the government to comply with the Act led to a series of court rulings that strengthened citizen access to federal public records. It also forced the release of some 300,000 documents and resulted in a judgement of $1 million to pay his pro bono attorneys' fees. Studio SPJ is an on-going series of conversations with journalists on topics of interest to the profession. This episode is co-sponsored by the Northern California chapter of SPJ.
Join us on Saturday, Nov. 16 at 2 p.m. Eastern when our next episode of Studio SPJ will feature a discussion of whether the Society of Professional Journalists should change its name.
This issue came up during our national convention in Anaheim when some delegates proposed changing the name to Society for Professional Journalism.
SPJ National President Dave Cuillier has appointed a task force to study the issues.
Two members of that task force, Region 2 Director Andy Schotz and Region 3 Director Michael Koretzky will debate the pros and cons of the issue.
Join us at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, April 2 when we'll discuss the upcoming Region 1 Spring Conference scheduled for April 25-26 at Boston University.
Our guests will be two of the organizers of the event, Jeff Cutler and Michael Fitzgerald.
We'll talk about some of the programs they've lined up as well as other nearby attractions that conference-goers can take in that weekend.
Click here for more information on the conference.
Join Host Live Chats
- Phoenix3333 (156 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (94 chatters)
- thelordshour (27 chatters)
- Star Nations Radio Network (16 chatters)
- Candelos Corner Radio (15 chatters)
- LauraDiPrete (15 chatters)
- Dr C Robert Jones III (13 chatters)
- MABIM (13 chatters)
- PRNRadioNetwork (9 chatters)
- Bellesprit (9 chatters)
- Stupid Cancer Show (8 chatters)
- dtm radio (7 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (7 chatters)
- DA PUTER SHACK KARAOKE RADIO (6 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (6 chatters)
- We Built That Network (6 chatters)
- Truf Bros (5 chatters)
- Gnosis Kardia (5 chatters)
- Omega Man (5 chatters)
- Psychics Gone Wild (4 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (4 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (4 chatters)
- AirWavesAmerica (4 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (4 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (4 chatters)
- TopSportsReport (4 chatters)
- Stilettos And Convos (3 chatters)
- Bill Murray (3 chatters)
- Butterfly Evolution (3 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (3 chatters)
- HitMan Ministries (3 chatters)
- Political T and T (3 chatters)
- The Captain0 (3 chatters)
- The Random Frequency Network (3 chatters)
- The Sorceress Cagliastro (3 chatters)
- SpinSyndicate Radio (3 chatters)
- SSRN (2 chatters)
- Starz Psychics Network (2 chatters)
- Revelation Radio Network (2 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (2 chatters)
- The Grace View (2 chatters)
- Pagans Tonight Radio (2 chatters)
- Radio by Renford (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- New Beginning Outreach (2 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (2 chatters)
- Intuitive Guidance Lindsay Marino (2 chatters)
- Fellowship of Deliverance (2 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (2 chatters)
- Fire Talk Radio (2 chatters)
- Journey Into Light (2 chatters)
- JUST US RADIO NETWORK (2 chatters)
- Kingdom Kids Radio Network (2 chatters)
- LadiesTellAll (2 chatters)
- Coffee Party USA (2 chatters)
- EPiphany The 4REALRADIONETWORK (2 chatters)
- Andrea Shea King (2 chatters)
- The Literary Corner (2 chatters)
- Universal School Of Thought (2 chatters)
- Truth Emerges (1 chatters)
- Woman2WomanTalkingToMen (1 chatters)
- Xpoze Radio (1 chatters)
- Yvette Porter Moore (1 chatters)
- Time For A Awakening (1 chatters)
- AirAmarteifioRadio (1 chatters)
- AltCon Radio (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- ExpandingU RADIO (1 chatters)
- Lady Faatimah (1 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (1 chatters)
- FoReRadio (1 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (1 chatters)
- Marijuana Compassion Common Sense (1 chatters)
- Michael Bonner (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- Radio Enso (1 chatters)
- Raising The Roof Media (1 chatters)
- Really Doe Radio (1 chatters)
- ParaAnne (1 chatters)
- Patriot Voices of Social Media (1 chatters)
- The GreenHouse FX (1 chatters)
- The Huddle 3 (1 chatters)
- The Steven James Experience (1 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (1 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (1 chatters)
- RichKid Radio (1 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (1 chatters)
- My Little Pony Talk (0 chatters)