SORT BY Relevancy
Forty-five minutes west of Walt Disney's make-believe history, archaeologists dig for real artifacts. Hunched over a shallow, square excavation, they search for Peliklakaha, the largest Black Seminole village, Fort Mose known to historians, a place where different cultures joined in a fight for freedom more than 200 years ago. Until now, say University of Florida archaeologists, Peliklakaha existed only in the writings of military leaders and a painting commissioned by the U.S. general who had burned it down.
Join The Gist of Freedom with Historian Gilbert Raiford!
The Gist of Freedom is honored to interview Historian Harry Bradshaw Matthews. Mr. Matthews will lecture on the African American Freedom Journey and how it included the Genealogy of Revolution that resulted in the scholarly preparation of an ethnic identity as Colored Americans of the typical branch of the Ethiopia Race.
Romney Family Joins Hollywood fad of Adopting Black Babies..Join us as we speak to an Adoptee Survior, Dockothy Davis! *Last week former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney announced that he had a new addition to his family.
Romney posted a picture on Twitter with the caption,“ Our 22nd grandchild was officially adopted today: Kieran James Romney.”
The picture was of an adorable African American baby who was adopted by one of his sons.
Now here’s where things get interesting. Apparently the name Kieran means “little dark one” in Gaelic. The name is pretty common in Ireland, which translates to “black” or “dark.”
Mitt Romney, AKA Mr. 1% , has a lot of grand kids but you think he would at least be able to keep count and keep up. He announced on Twitter that his 22nd grandchild, Kieran James Romney, was officially adopted. Um, one problem. Back in July, Mitt Romney, tweeted that he and his wife welcomed their 22nd grandchild. Which is it Mitt?
"People immediately started speculating about what type of life he’s going to have growing up with the Romneys, who are known for being severely out of touch when it comes to the poor and minority communities. We should say a serious prayer for our little Kieran.
Join us tonight on The Gist of Freedom as we talk with Dockothy Davis. Mr. Davis will discuss, growing up as a foster child and then living with a white family in an exclusive white town.
The Gist of Freedom is pleased to welcome William Jackson, S.T.E.A.M Educator. Mr. Jackson will discuss the presentation he helped The Gist of Freedom deliver to ASALH this week in Jacksonville, Florida via Skype.
You can view and share the power point presentation at www.TheGISTofSOCIALMedia.com
The Gist of Freedom is pleased to present you an excerpt of Martin Luther King's Speech at Bennett College, "Room InThe Inn" also known as the "Finance Your Freedom". Other Speeches: Vernon Johns, Ida B Wells and Michelle Alexander. Read By James Earl Jones, and Rubye Dee
We don't have time to spend a lot of money on whiskey and big parties and a lot of stuff, and we aren't giving money to the basic causes that confront us now.
Martin Luther King's 40 Acres and A Mule, Redeeming The Check... Rare Speech Footage.
"At the very same time that America refused to give the Negro any land, through an act of Congress our government was giving away millions of acres of land in the West and the Midwest, which meant that it was willing to undergird its white peasants from Europe with an economic floor."
------- Click to Listen to Celebrate and Commemorate Black History Weekly with The Gist of Freedom www.BlackHistoryBLOG.com
on iTunes www.BlackHistoryUniversity.com
Click and Listen to The Gist of Freedom we continue our Reading: William Still's The Underground Railroad published in 1871
At this juncture, the fugitives verily believing that the time had arrived for the practical use of their pistols and dirks, pulled them out of their concealment—the young women as well as the young men—and declared they would not be "taken!" One of the white men raised his gun, pointing the muzzle directly towards one of the young women, with the threat that he would "shoot," etc. "Shoot! shoot!! shoot!!!" she exclaimed,
The History of Historically Black Colleges and Universities with Professor Linda Mizell!
The Gist of Freedom is pleased to present to The African Burial Ground Lower Manhattan, Playwright, Judy Tate! Judy is the Producing Artistic Director of The American Slavery Project, a theatrical response to revisionism in this country's discourse around slavery, the Civil War and Jim Crow. She is a playwright and 4 time Emmy award winning writer and the creator of "Unheard Voices" a monologue play with music collectively written for the unknown men, women and
This Extraordinary true story is based on Solomon Northup's book, 12 Years A Slave. It takes place in the pre-Civil War United States, where Solomon Northup (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a free black man from upstate New York, is kidnapped and sold into slavery. Unlike, The Help, The Butler and Django this film, is about self preservation and perseverance. It is based on a book written by an African American and it is Directed by a black man!
We haven’t had a true slavery movie in a while, and Django Unchained sort of made light of the slavery issue by featuring it into an entertainment action film. Descendant of Mr. Northup, Clayton Adams this Sunday at 8pm ET on The Gist of Freedom Read Mr. Northup's Book on-line!
Underground Railroad Love Story, hid in the crevices of Caves and Swam through snake ridden Swamps….. to reunite with wife.
William Jordan's heart revolted, for he was warmly attached to his wife, and so he made up his mind, if he could not see her " once or twice a year even," as he had been promised, he had rather "die," or live in a "cave in -the wood," than to remain all his
life under the governor's yoke.
Click to Listen to The Gist of Freedom tonight at 8pm as we continue reading
William Still's Book, The Underground Railroad Published in 1871
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (481 chatters)
- Super Heru Radio (55 chatters)
- sherrytalkradio (39 chatters)
- JohnMcTernan (27 chatters)
- MN.B.R.T. (27 chatters)
- National Liberty Alliance (22 chatters)
- thelordshour (21 chatters)
- Curious Times (21 chatters)
- BacktoBasicsRadio (14 chatters)
- Dead Air Paranormal Radio (12 chatters)
- Jay King Network (12 chatters)
- JUST US HEALING SPIRITUALLY (12 chatters)
- Love Productions (11 chatters)
- AirWavesAmerica (10 chatters)
- Indy Showcase Radio (9 chatters)
- Coffee Party USA (9 chatters)
- STATE OF MENTELL RADIO (9 chatters)
- The School of Shamanism (9 chatters)
- T J Sotomayor (9 chatters)
- Pro MMA Now Radio (8 chatters)
- DRYBONESCONNECTION (8 chatters)
- Life and Party Times (8 chatters)
- Ed Ymiah Gospel Revealed (7 chatters)
- DavetheMystic (6 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (6 chatters)
- Minn4Freedom (5 chatters)
- SupermanHomepage (5 chatters)
- Vinny Bond (5 chatters)
- URN Radio Network (4 chatters)
- Mystic Light and Shadows (4 chatters)
- Lorries Talk News Radio (4 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (4 chatters)
- FIREFOXNEWS ONLINE (4 chatters)
- Funny to the Moon (4 chatters)
- Truth Emerges (3 chatters)
- Xpoze Radio (3 chatters)
- NWO Truth Radio (3 chatters)
- SIXEYES RADIO (3 chatters)
- Radio Akasha (2 chatters)
- NatureofReality (2 chatters)
- NDB Media (2 chatters)
- The Seika Network (2 chatters)
- The Corner Turtles and Friends (2 chatters)
- Garrett Miller Radio (2 chatters)
- FreedomizerRadio (2 chatters)
- 3 Wise Women (2 chatters)
- 4RealTalk Radio Network (2 chatters)
- CandiXRandy (2 chatters)
- Nation Building Movement (2 chatters)
- Main Street Universe (1 chatters)
- HME Radio (1 chatters)
- HUGS Radio Show (1 chatters)
- KennethLocklin (1 chatters)
- KLJN 107 7 (1 chatters)
- Lance Scurv (1 chatters)
- Catholic Questions And Answers (1 chatters)
- Butterfly Evolution (1 chatters)
- DYNASTY NETWORK 1382 (1 chatters)
- Suzanne Toro (1 chatters)
- teamgrindhard (1 chatters)
- The 110 Nation Sports SHow (1 chatters)
- The Coffee Club (1 chatters)
- 63504 (0 chatters)