SORT BY Relevancy
On this episode, we talk with Charmaine Thaner about strategies for keeping IEP meetings positive and successful.
Charmaine Thaner retired after 30 years of teaching to become a parent advocate. Her diverse experiences provide a unique perspective when collaborating with families and educators.In addition, she is the parent of a young adult who received special education services.
Charmaine has supported students, parents, and educators as a special educator, classroom teacher, parent advocate, and adjunct university instructor. She continues to support parents as an advocate and public speaker. To learn more about Charmaine's work, go to Collaborative Special Education Advocacy.
MEASURING HOW YOUR CHILD THINKS AND THE IEP Measuring how your child thinks and relaying it in the IEP process. Listen to Dr. Florance explain how to interpret educational testing results with the unique profile of the highly visual student in mind. Find out how test scores indicate whether someone is extremely verbal, a balance of verbal and visual, or extremely visual. We will also discuss auditory processing testing in the context of the highly visual child
Bullying IS an IEP issue.
Hosts Jennifer Laviano a special education attorney and Julie Swanson a special education advocate host this very important interview.
Your child's IEP is a legal document that their school must follow.
The tragic suicide of a Florida teen from relentless bullying has sparked a firestorm within the legal system to put an end to torment and tragedy.
If your child is being bullied you have rights and can use an IEP to protect them.
Two girls were charged with aggravated stalking, a third-degree felony and will be processed through the juvenile court system. Neither had an arrest record. The older girl was taken into custody in the juvenile wing of the Polk County Jail. The younger girl, who the police said expressed remorse, was released to her parents now under house arrest.
If you havent already spoken
in Self Help
The IEP (Individualized Education Plan) process can be an overwhelming experience for parents. Once the IEP is in place, annual meetings can also leave parents feeling confused and unsure if their child who stutters is receiving the support they need to succeed in school. Please join us and call in with your questions as Lynne Remson, Board Recognized Specialist in Fluency Disorders and Chapter Leader of the NSA Phoenix Family Chapter, reviews the IEP process and helps you understand how to get the most out of your educational partnership with your child's school.
We are honored ot have back on the show Tony Mei who the BSA National Chair for Speical Needs.
Today, Tony and I will be talking about Scout extensions and the ISAP (Individualized Scouting Advancement Plan) which is simular to a IEP in a school setting and we will also be talking about extensions are applied for and received to allow a scout to continue to work on differnt scouting achivements.
Learn the process, what can be asked for, what should be avoided and the ins and outs of the proecss.
It's that time of year when everyone is on the hunt for the school supply list, the teacher wish list; and, that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle backpack that Target had online but can't locate in the store (oh wait, that's MY challenge at the moment).
Seriously, this time of year for many is filled with excitement but for children who learn differently and their parents--there is often very little to be excited about as the fights about homework resume.
According to a 2010 report from the National Center for Learning Disabilities, nearly 2.4 million students are diagnoised with LD and receive special education services in schools.
For parents trying to navigate this educational maze to obtain help for their child, it is often described as the equivilent of attempting to climb Mt. Everest in flipflops.
What do you need to know to advocate effectively for your child? What is an IEP? Who is eligible for a 504 plan? Is there really a difference between a 504 Plan and an IEP? What are the first steps in the IEP process? Does it really speed up the process to get your child tested outside of the school system? What are some types of things you as a parent or guardian can ask to have included in the IEP? We're going to cover all of this and more!
If you have a child that you believe may need extra help in school to thrive then this show is for you!
We will have Licensed Psychologist Dr. Arcella Trimble as our guest to help navigate the waters on Educational Advocacy 101 for Parents and Guardians as well as blogger Karen Wesley Weaver.
Karen's blog, Confessions of An Asperger's Mom (http://confessionsofanaspergersmom.blogspot.com/) has been featured on Mamapedia and is listed on the Top Mommy Blogs http://www.topmommyblogs.com (yes, please go vote for Confessions of An Asperger's Mom).
.This episode will discuss the closing of Bauder College and the illegal and unethical acts committed by Graham Holdings and Kaplan, Inc. Bauder College is a private, for profit college located in Atlanta, Georgia. It is a division of Graham Holdings ("GHC") and Kaplan, Inc. (Kaplan Higher Education ("KHE"). The closing of Bauder College will not resolve the issues faced by inner city, urban and rural American students, which includes student loan default rates and unemployment. Most of these students will not be accepted by other colleges or universities and many will be left with nowhere to turn. The cost of attending Kaplan University is greater than the attendance at Bauder and the majority of other colleges and universities. Our government has failed these vulnerable populations and sit idle while Kaplan became a billion dollar for profit educational industry who knowingly targeted the most vulnerable population in this country with abusive practices that were used to target inner city, urban and rural poor Americans.
PART 2: IEP and Special Need Students
While the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is not in effect in higher education and colleges have no legal responsibility to identify students with disabilities, the "Gainful Employment" standards does require colleges to idenitify students unlikely to succeed in college and colleges are prohibited from knowingly enrolling students in their programs under these circumstances. Bauder/Kaplan knowingly and intentionally enrolled students from IEP high school programs, knowing that they lacked the educational, mental, emotional and pyschological means to succeed academically or in the workplace.
This weeks show
~Thank you to rudejester.com for sponsoring us
~Introduction of the 4 guests Sheila, Shannon, Jaime, Jaimee
~ What is an IEP
~Why would the school system want a child to have an IEP
~What is a matrix score and how does it effect the school system
~Why the school system is so quick to "diagnose" your child and give them an IEP
~Physical Restraints are not allowed in psychiatric wards BUT are still allowed in the school system
~Rules vary from state to state on restraints but we will discuss FL
~How to get your child properly diagnosed and on the correct path.
This is told through parents who have encountered the issues with IEP and it only is their views
Find out how the placement of CPS foster care affects a schoolage son or daughter's education. When children are in state care are they held to the same standards in regards to attendance? What if a son or daughter is in a special education program, has a 504 plan or IEP? How are their services affected?
Guests: Cliff and Shelley Hoelz, CEO's, Arizona Project, AZProject.org.
READ MY LIPS' akaRadioRed goes beyond the typical blah-blah-yada-yada canned interview, engaging multiple guests in spontaneous conversations. Featured guests today:
Wedding Bliss vs. Wedding Miss? The 5th time was a charm for multiple-marrier Pam Evans, who wed for the first time in 1971, at age 18 – the same year Stephen Stills first sang “Love the One You’re With”. Pam knows first-hand how to break the frustrating and disheartening serial relationship and marriage pattern. She observes that 5% of the US population belong to the Ring Exchange Club. Who are these multiple marriers? [Hint: Kim Kardashsian is one.] When relationship red flags wave, what do multiple marriers tend to ignore? http://www.ring-exchange.com
Hiding under the cover of "I'M BUSY" while being less productive than ever before? Meet Anese Cavanaugh – entrepreneur, advisor to innovative business organizations, writer, movement-maker, mom to 2 kids + 3 rescue dogs, founder of the IEP Method™, and expert on intention, energy, and presence in leadership and culture. "Leadership skills, emotional intelligence, even meditation are no longer enough." Her advice: Ditch work-life balance. Your presence counts even when you’re not in the room. It's time to step into a new realm of showing up. Make self-care mandatory vs. being busy and burned-out. Blog: Top 5 Counter-Intuitive Ways To Rock Your Corporate Culture. www.AneseCavanaugh.com
Presented by Special Education Attorney, Jeffrey A. Gottlieb. Learn how to be effective at an IEP meeting, such that your child receives appropriate placement, services and goals. Check website for IEP informational materials at www.specialeducationattorneyatlaw.com.
Join Host Live Chats
- Hagmann and Hagmann Report (499 chatters)
- thisisit4321 (64 chatters)
- Tha Boxing Voice Radio Show (33 chatters)
- The Portal (31 chatters)
- Mindzmatter (23 chatters)
- in5d (19 chatters)
- RaptureCentric101 (17 chatters)
- Straitway (14 chatters)
- High Frequency Radio Network (14 chatters)
- thelordshour (12 chatters)
- The One People Oneness Radio (11 chatters)
- The Oracle Speaks (11 chatters)
- SpeakEasy Cafe (11 chatters)
- ILLUMINATION (10 chatters)
- Living Astrology (10 chatters)
- Cross Talk Radio brother Lawrence (10 chatters)
- Lets talkXXXGod is not Religious (9 chatters)
- Trek Talking (9 chatters)
- Radio Jihad Network (8 chatters)
- Personality Speaking (8 chatters)
- The Wacko Network (7 chatters)
- The Tailgate Show (6 chatters)
- Random Rants (6 chatters)
- A Just Cause Coast 2 Coast (6 chatters)
- African History Ntwk (6 chatters)
- fireengineeringtalkradio (5 chatters)
- Phoenix3333 (5 chatters)
- Sweet Psychic (5 chatters)
- The Wake Up Mission (5 chatters)
- ReflectRadio (4 chatters)
- Omega Man (4 chatters)
- Frat House Sports (4 chatters)
- DA PUTER SHACK KARAOKE RADIO (4 chatters)
- AtaensicNetworkStation (4 chatters)
- CrystalClearSpeaks (4 chatters)
- Brain Injury Radio (4 chatters)
- Cubanarama (3 chatters)
- KayakFishingRadio (3 chatters)
- Robert Cardoza Live (3 chatters)
- SISTERS IN HARMONY (2 chatters)
- Rifleman (2 chatters)
- JCOvercomersMinistri (2 chatters)
- LyricalForte (2 chatters)
- Crs Radio Caribbean Radio Show (2 chatters)
- Cage Side Submissions (2 chatters)
- cathies DistantEchos (2 chatters)
- Diary of A Psalmist (2 chatters)
- dtm radio (2 chatters)
- Entertainment Zone Radio (2 chatters)
- Body of Christ (2 chatters)
- George Ramirez (2 chatters)
- TheLegacyOfANation (2 chatters)
- The Russell Reed Show (2 chatters)
- Trunews Radio (2 chatters)
- Twin Radio (2 chatters)
- Two Moms on a Borough (2 chatters)
- WGAG Radio (2 chatters)
- WHTP Radio Network (1 chatters)
- The Voice of Leadership (1 chatters)
- The Bully Effect0 (1 chatters)
- The Captain0 (1 chatters)
- The Chronical of Ladi Kay (1 chatters)
- The Hereafter Is Now Network (1 chatters)
- The Janet Love Show (1 chatters)
- The Liberal Redneck (1 chatters)
- The Love Zone USA (1 chatters)
- Its Real Talk Live (1 chatters)
- HIPOLITIX (1 chatters)
- HONEY DRIP RADIO (1 chatters)
- FanSportsandPolitics (1 chatters)
- Feuersteins Fire (1 chatters)
- Gathering At The Well (1 chatters)
- Ebony Empress (1 chatters)
- Elevate The Soul (1 chatters)
- ElijahFireRadio (1 chatters)
- Clive Hudson Master Blaster (1 chatters)
- Culture Freedom Radio Network (1 chatters)
- Aubrey Allen Smith (1 chatters)
- Big Ticket Talk wX The Curtsy Crew (1 chatters)
- Bill Murray (1 chatters)
- Bishop Maurice L Irvin (1 chatters)
- BLACK SATIN RADIO LIVE (1 chatters)
- Men Lets Talk (1 chatters)
- Omega Ministry Group (1 chatters)
- MRTALK (1 chatters)
- MyViewMatters (1 chatters)
- Nature Has All The Answers (1 chatters)
- LLBPRADIO (1 chatters)
- Kissmeimpsychic (1 chatters)
- Larcher and Lorensen (1 chatters)
- Lesbian Love Talk (1 chatters)
- Positively Incorrect (1 chatters)
- Pro Wrestling Torch (1 chatters)
- Promoting Positive Art Expressions (1 chatters)
- SANDRA WILSON SHOW (1 chatters)
- Sportscolumndotcom (1 chatters)
- Straight From The E Block (1 chatters)
- Keep It Spicy Network (0 chatters)
- The Grace View (0 chatters)